D&C's Roth Serves Up 9-7 Prediction With Playoffs

...Patsies tumble??............

Roth: Bills to finish 9-7, with upsets over New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens

Leo Roth, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Published 1:02 p.m. ET April 18, 2019 | Updated 1:12 p.m. ET April 18, 2019

New York, New York.

Well actually, it’s New Jersey, New Jersey.

The Buffalo Bills open the 2019 season with odd back-to-back road games against the Jets and Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. Fans might want to drive the motor home down and stay for the week. Plenty of parking. Take in a couple Broadway shows.

The NFL has released its schedule (heart be still) and here’s how I see the Bills (6-10 last season) faring (Warning: this column contains upsets of Patriots and Ravens at home):

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/04/18/buffalo-bills-to-finish-9-7-with-upsets-over-new-england-patriots-and-baltimore-ravens/3507707002/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'd be disappointed if we don't win 10+. Not even a homer but we should be challenging the Pats for the division this year.

...I'd be satisfied with a 1-1 Pats split and a WC berth earned on our own......would be a decent accomplishment IMO.............

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd be satisfied with a 1-1 Pats split and a WC berth earned on our own......would be a decent accomplishment IMO.............

Unless you are in a division with a 12-4 juggernaut. It will be just like last time you know where they had to win 9 games to get in.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

We earned our WC the other year.  It isn't invalidated just because one of the games that went our way was in dramatic fashion in week 17.  It counts the same as the hundred other games through the season that affected our standing.

How would a 9-7 record this year be more earned than a 9-7 record two years ago?

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

it will probably take 10-6 to do it.  unlike most predictions that i've seen so far,  i'm going with a win week one and i'm also counting a win at home against philly.  i also believe we can beat those low down titans in their crib.

i believe weeks 7,8,and 9 will be a 3 game win streak where we start clicking on all cylinders, getting some national buzz.  if we can start no worse than 3-2,  i can see a possible 11-5.   my losses...ne x2,  pitt, the cowboys and maybe dropping a close one against some team we should have beat...ie. the ravens in a defensive field goal battle.

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

A win over the Ravens won’t be an “upset.”  I’m not a homer but the Bills could already be as good as the Ravens. 

...agree....way too much stock put in Jackson IMO.....think he is the epitome of one read and run......strictly opinion........his pressers are hardly impressive IMO...

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

it will probably take 10-6 to do it.  unlike most predictions that i've seen so far,  i'm going with a win week one and i'm also counting a win at home against philly.  i also believe we can beat those low down titans in their crib.

i believe weeks 7,8,and 9 will be a 3 game win streak where we start clicking on all cylinders, getting some national buzz.  if we can start no worse than 3-2,  i can see a possible 11-5.   my losses...ne x2,  pitt, the cowboys and maybe dropping a close one against some team we should have beat...ie. the ravens in a defensive field goal battle.

...exactly my point......10-6 and and 1-1 split works for me.......with no "Dalton Intervention"......think about all of the potential roster newness and Josh getting acclimated....gratifying accomplishment or meh?...just askin'........

I'd hardly call a win at home against the Ravens an upset. No Flacco, Mosley, Suggs and a QB who IMO didn't impress and got exposed when it counted. We beat Tennessee last year and see no reason it can't happen again. Jets may come out tight in the opener due to unwarranted expectations. The rest I think is spot on.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....way too much stock put in Jackson IMO.....think he is the epitome of one read and run......strictly opinion........his pressers are hardly impressive IMO...

Tyrod Taylor 2.0.   Somewhat improved but with the same basic design flaws as the original.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

leo looking for clicks...

...LMAO......funny thing is Leo is a native Buffalonian but fires off his shots perennially.....ain't no homer.........

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

Tyrod Taylor 2.0.   Somewhat improved but with the same basic design flaws as the original.  

...strange how some of the "TBD picking pundits" advocated McBeane taking him at #12......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...exactly my point......10-6 and and 1-1 split works for me.......with no "Dalton Intervention"......think about all of the potential roster newness and Josh getting acclimated....gratifying accomplishment or meh?...just askin'........

i think the fact that we have a whole new team....which basically makes dabol a new oc is going to give us an early season advantage. i'm praying we have a good summer....

starting 5 oline figured out right away....josh being much improved with timing and taking what is given...and an attacking defense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think the fact that we have a whole new team....which basically makes dabol a new oc is going to give us an early season advantage. i'm praying we have a good summer....

starting 5 oline figured out right away....josh being much improved with timing and taking what is given...and an attacking defense.

...good assessment.....dead on IMO......:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I'd hardly call a win at home against the Ravens an upset. No Flacco, Mosley, Suggs and a QB who IMO didn't impress and got exposed when it counted. We beat Tennessee last year and see no reason it can't happen again. Jets may come out tight in the opener due to unwarranted expectations. The rest I think is spot on.

Yea that is the only point I was take with Leo. Ravens are absolutely our equal and I think were better straight up. They like the Steelers rest on reputation not actual true roster analysis these days.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

A win over the Ravens won’t be an “upset.”  I’m not a homer but the Bills could already be as good as the Ravens. 

I’m curious about the Ravens. Will they have any semblance of a passing game? Will teams figure them out and make it a tough year? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious about the Ravens. Will they have any semblance of a passing game? Will teams figure them out and make it a tough year? 

Their WR corp is hilariously bad pre-draft. We will see after

28 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I fully agree on this. Ravens are not that great of a team, especially on defense now. They’ll never win a game this season if they go down 10 points