One week before the draft, and Beane hasn't made one deal

Shaw66

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

Witchcraft is prohibited during Easter Passover 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not sure how anyone can say our offensive talent can “suffice”.  It was one of the least talented groups of either side of the ball in the entire NFL last year.  Yes, Beane did a great job adding value players all over the offense and it will certainly be better.

But someone show me one impact player at a skill position on the offense...just show me one.  Our defense has at least 5 impact players in White, Hyde, Hughes, Poyer, and Edmunds.  And Milano played like one pre injury too.

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for building a stout defense and fine taking a defensive player at 9.  But at the end of the day, our offense has no proven impact player at any skill position.  We got a couple deep ball threats and a good 3rd down guy in Cole.  

Our entire future hinges on Allen’s development.  Nothing matters more.  Offensive weapons take time to develop.  Take the weapons NOW so they can start growing and developing together with Josh.  Any glaring defensive holes can also be drafted next year too and they are not dependent on rapport with another player to develop like a WR or TE is.

People treat this like it’s our last draft ever.  We can upgrade more next offseason when we have a bunch of cap room and the draft again.  But we do not have any potential impact offensive players yet around Allen and nothing matters more than him taking big steps forward.  

Get Josh a major weapon.

If we want to truly contend for a Super Bowl in 2020, we need to add the offensive weapon NOW to get a year together with Josh going into that season.  

Exactly.  Beane and Steelers agreed on trade compensation and Beane pulled out when he found out what AB wanted money wise after talking to Drew.  

I don't agree. With this at all.

First, McCoy is every bit as much an impact player as any of the five you named.  

Second, it's a whole new game thus year with the offensive line.  No one knows how much better the line will be, but it could be a lot better. If it is, everything on offense changes. 

If the line is significantly better and if Allen improves, the skill players WILL suffice.  Brown and Beasley are solid players and will get the Bills through the season just fine. If the line isn't better or if Allen doesn't improve adding a star receiver won't help.  

The Bills can either offense or defense in the draft. And if they go offense, it might be a lineman. 

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I’m not protecting Beane, it’s literally been said by Beane, Drew, etc that Bills and Beane pulled out of the trade by choice.  Not sure what version you have, but this has been already disclosed multiple times now.  

Why would Beane pull out of the deal? Because he needs that 15 million cap space this year for who? Why even begin negotiations if you’re not willing to pay Brown?  

I’m very concerned if that contract he signed with the raiders was the reason Beane backed out, as you’re saying. 

Also, Beane said we have “moved on” that could mean Antonio refused to consider coming to Buffalo so we moved on. Pegula said Antionio didn’t want to come here. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I’m not protecting Beane, it’s literally been said by Beane, Drew, etc that Bills and Beane pulled out of the trade by choice.  Not sure what version you have, but this has been already disclosed multiple times now.  

I really don't think we've heard the full story about how that deal died. Who pulled the plug is different from who made deal ubdoable.   I'm not arguing with your take on it.  Just saying that I don't think any of us knows the whole story. Beane seemed to comment on it with carefully chosen words. 

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Why would Beane pull out of the deal? Because he needs that 15 million cap space this year for who? Why even begin negotiations if you’re not willing to pay Brown?  

I’m very concerned if that contract he signed with the raiders was the reason Beane backed out, as you’re saying. 

Also, Beane said we have “moved on” that could mean Antonio refused to consider coming to Buffalo so we moved on. Pegula said Antionio didn’t want to come here. 

Yeah. AB didn't want to come. Beane wouldn't have been willing to deal the picks if he wasn't willing to cough up a few more mil. Doesn't make sense. I do applaud his effort in acquiring that elite talent we're talking about in this thread.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, McCoy is every bit as much an impact player as any of the five you named.  

Second, it's a whole new game thus year with the offensive line.  No one knows how much better the line will be, but it could be a lot better. If it is, everything on offense changes. 

If the line is significantly better and if Allen improves, the skill players WILL suffice.  Brown and Beasley are solid players and will get the Bills through the season just fine. If the line isn't better or if Allen doesn't improve adding a star receiver won't help.  

The Bills can either offense or defense in the draft. And if they go offense, it might be a lineman. 

I can understand the stance that the defensive players available when we pick will be much better prospects, therefore we need to go defense despite being ranked #2 and offense #31. (Even if I might disagree)

I can’t understand how anyone can watch last year’s team and think we should go defense all things being equal. 

A star receiver will help regardless of any other factors. 

An offensive tackle will also help and would play 100 percent of offensive snaps when healthy compared to a DT playing 60%

• Like (+1) 1

I have to believe that Beane is playing his cards conservatively at this point. Based on his past comments about managing the cap, I don't expect him to throw big money at a guy like Clark or Clowney.  Depending on how the draft falls through the first few picks, he will make his move for either a specific player or down for more picks or make the pick at 9.

In my opinion, the only likely trade candidate that has any potential value is Lawson.  Other than some speculation from some sports reporters, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they are serious about a trade.  The decision with his 5th year option may clarify things.

53 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I can understand the stance that the defensive players available when we pick will be much better prospects, therefore we need to go defense despite being ranked #2 and offense #31. (Even if I might disagree)

I can’t understand how anyone can watch last year’s team and think we should go defense all things being equal. 

A star receiver will help regardless of any other factors. 

An offensive tackle will also help and would play 100 percent of offensive snaps when healthy compared to a DT playing 60%

Beane has been extraordinarily clear that in the first couple of rounds the teams needs will have NOTHING to do with his pick.  He doesn't care if the pick falls to the offense or the defense.   He is trying to improve the total talent on the team, and you do that by taking the BPA. 

Having said that, I agree with you that Beane is likely to go offense in the first round, but not for the reason you give.  What he has said is that when there's a lot of talent clustered in one position group, lile d line, he is inclined to go away from that group on the assumption that there's so much talent there that he will be able to get good quality at that position group in a later round.  

So I'd think if he has two guys rated more nor less evenly, he would go with the offensive guy, because defense is deep in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want no part of Clowney, just injury history scares me.

Frank Clark is intriguing, but seems like kinda a dick. I would think Beane wants no part of that, but his pursuit of AB makes me now think he may still be interested.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

When it comes to team building, boring wins ball games.

The Whaley offseasons (the Ryan years, in particular) were some of the most fun times to be a Bills fan. Mario Williams watch, trading for McCoy, prying Clay away from the Dolphins, trading up for Watkins. Fun, fun, fun! Then the team started playing football games. Not so fun.

Meanwhile, I can only imagine that Patriots fans are routinely bored to tears during the offseason. Once their team starts playing football games, though? FUN!

I agree.  Winning teams trade or sign FAs to acquire outstanding talent or fill key personnel needs.   Perennial bottom feeder teams like the Bills too often make trades (especially during the draft) or sign big-name FAs in order to put butts in the seats by exciting their fan bases or to shuffle personnel like playing cards.   

The Bills have done both over the last twenty years, and almost always they've come out the loser.  It's too early to judge the McDermott/Beane regime's success or failure but it is fair to say that unless Allen has a HOF quality career, McDermott/Beane will be judged a failure.  Being a decent franchise QB (like Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton or Joe Flacco) isn't going to be good enough given that the Bills passed on Mahomes in 2017 and spent a fortune in talent and picks in 2018 to move up to get Allen.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.   To get the permission, you'd need to have a trade pretty much agreed to.  I don't see Houston or Seattle giving permission for the Bills to talk with the agent, because if the Bills are willing to give the guy a big contract, it hampers Houston and Seattle's ability to talk trades with anyone else for the next week.   

Maybe there's more behind the scenes talking going on than is permitted, but I get the sense that everyone is pretty good about following those rules.  

It would be risky for the Bills to give up a second round pick without knowing they can sign the guy long term.  

Thats usually true, but not in the case of Clowney and the Texans.  They placed the non exclusive franchise tag on him.  He can negotiate with other teams until he signs it.  I do not see where he has done that yet. 

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

He's going to make his deals during the draft

Well you didn't read my post then.  I said several times offensive SKILL POSITION impact payers.  The OL is not a skill position, that is WR, RB, TE.  And sorry, I dont care what anyone says, McCoy is NOT an impact player until he PROVES he is STILL an impact player.  Its EASY to blame the OL last year for his struggles, and there is some validity to it.  UNTIL you go and look at how much better Ivory was behind the SAME OL in the SAME games.  

Is there a possibility McCoy could bounce back and be an IMPACT player...sure.  But there is no way to know that at all right now.  Can he be solid, much more likely.  But a major dependable impact player is something he was not even remotely close to last year.  Ivory was literally the better RB last year.  

15 hours ago, Chemical said:

You need to go watch more Beane press conferences.  You literally are quoting the first statement he made and ignoring everything everyone has said since.  

I really don't think we've heard the full story about how that deal died. Who pulled the plug is different from who made deal ubdoable.   I'm not arguing with your take on it.  Just saying that I don't think any of us knows the whole story. Beane seemed to comment on it with carefully chosen words. 

All good, I just disagree.  There has been a lot of clear dialogue on exactly what happened IMO. 

4 hours ago, BmarvB said:

He's going to make his deals during the draft

I have to think that Beane has a few options for trades and will wait to see how the draft starts to fall

before he acts. 

Once the Giants pick things will get interesting.

IF the Giants do not go QB at 6 then it all depends on what DEN, CIN, MIA, WAS, NYG, OAK think about the QBs remaining.

Beane may not like what he can get for #9 and just pick but....................................

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, I just disagree.  There has been a lot of clear dialogue on exactly what happened IMO. 

I agree there were a lot of clear statements made by various parties, but I wouldn't call it a dialog.  

The deal didn't happen for one or more of four reasons:

1.  Bills and Steelers couldn't agree on trade terms.

2.  Bills and AB couldn't agree on money

3.  AB didn't want to come to Buffalo

4.  Bills became concerned over character issues.

Now, I know AB has said it wasn't that he wouldn't come to Buffalo, but that is not at all the original message we were hearing from him.  

It seams it isn't 1., because it sure seemed like the deal had gotten past the trade negotiations.  But maybe the Raiders came back with a better offer, and the Bills wouldn't match it.  

But I don't think there's any clarity on how those issues combined to reach the end point where the Bills pulled the plug.  

Not that it matters all that much.   They couldn't make a deal.   I don't think that's anything we can ascribe to Beane doing a good job and doing a bad job unless and until we have those kinds of details.   

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I have this hunch that after we pick in the 1st round, Beane will try and trade our 2nd rounder for Frank Clark or Javdeon Clowney. I don't think they want to trade for a player until they know who they get at pick 9. But Beane keeps saying they have the cap space left over to sign another impact player and I don't think he's just making conversation.

worth considering. Hopefully anyone else looking to get Clark is waiting too.
if there is s deal to get it done drawn up that Beane likes?

don't sit on those cards too long. Bills are likely not the only team seeing this potential opportunity  : )

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree there were a lot of clear statements made by various parties, but I wouldn't call it a dialog.  

The deal didn't happen for one or more of four reasons:

1.  Bills and Steelers couldn't agree on trade terms.

2.  Bills and AB couldn't agree on money

3.  AB didn't want to come to Buffalo

4.  Bills became concerned over character issues.

Now, I know AB has said it wasn't that he wouldn't come to Buffalo, but that is not at all the original message we were hearing from him.  

It seams it isn't 1., because it sure seemed like the deal had gotten past the trade negotiations.  But maybe the Raiders came back with a better offer, and the Bills wouldn't match it.  

But I don't think there's any clarity on how those issues combined to reach the end point where the Bills pulled the plug.  

Not that it matters all that much.   They couldn't make a deal.   I don't think that's anything we can ascribe to Beane doing a good job and doing a bad job unless and until we have those kinds of details.   

Thats just it, there is all this info out there.  Raiders told the Steelers they were not interested because Bills had a better offer and they wouldn't match it.  Mayock publicly said this, and that they didn't pursue AB until after the Bills pulled out and Steelers were willing to take less compensation.  

99% of what was "reported" off anonymous sources was proven wrong by the very people involved.  In the end, Beane made his own decision to pull out and didnt feel the trade was going to be the right fit when weighing all factors.  And he pulled out days before the news broke and was reported we were "close" to trading for AB.  Which tells me it was probably a leak by the Steelers to get other bidders to step up with the Bills out of the picture because not only was that info wrong, it was days old at time it came out.  

There is still so much misinformation floating around surprisingly on this story when all the exact answers have been disclosed by Steelers, Raiders, Drew, and Bills.  Now if people want to choose to not believe the statements by the people directly involved, then thats on them to form whatever interpretation they want.  

18 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

That could take our defense from good to great. 

This suggestion of getting Clark and Oliver makes me giddy.

No one deserves that much happiness.
especially me 

17 hours ago, the skycap said:

Witchcraft is prohibited during Easter Passover 

No

actually it is not.

Just heavily frowned upon by some.
 beanes cauldron will be fired up again in time for the Draft i bet !

• Thank you (+1) 1