One week before the draft, and Beane hasn't made one deal

Shaw66

Just to be clear here, Clark is under the non-exclusive franchise tag, meaning he can negotiate with anyone without Seattle's blessing. Once a contract is agreed upon, then said team can negotiate trade with Seattle

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Just to be clear here, Clark is under the non-exclusive franchise tag, meaning he can negotiate with anyone without Seattle's blessing. Once a contract is agreed upon, then said team can negotiate trade with Seattle

Thanks. I didn't know that.  Then the notion of a day 2 trade makes more sense.  

Hmmm. That's an interesting prospect. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I have this hunch that after we pick in the 1st round, Beane will try and trade our 2nd rounder for Frank Clark or Javdeon Clowney. I don't think they want to trade for a player until they know who they get at pick 9. But Beane keeps saying they have the cap space left over to sign another impact player and I don't think he's just making conversation.

I hope he has someone in mind  and I REALLY hope it’s on offense , 

We need weapons on offense IMO if we don’t climb out of the basement to at least the middle of the pack to # 15 / 16 on offense we are not making the playoffs no matter how good our defense is , 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.   To get the permission, you'd need to have a trade pretty much agreed to.  I don't see Houston or Seattle giving permission for the Bills to talk with the agent, because if the Bills are willing to give the guy a big contract, it hampers Houston and Seattle's ability to talk trades with anyone else for the next week.   

Maybe there's more behind the scenes talking going on than is permitted, but I get the sense that everyone is pretty good about following those rules.  

It would be risky for the Bills to give up a second round pick without knowing they can sign the guy long term.  

That's true, but I think they know what kind of money Clowney and Clark are asking for, so I doubt they'd make the deal if they weren't willing to meet their price. I can't remember who, but I remember a GM saying pretty much this same thing a few years ago after a blockbuster deal like that.

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

You're very needy lately, is everything ok? First you start a lampy Tiger thread even though the final 5 pages of the Masters thread talked about nothing else & now this?  Let me know if you need to talk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Putin said:

I hope he has someone in mind  and I REALLY hope it’s on offense , 

We need weapons on offense IMO if we don’t climb out of the basement to at least the middle of the pack to # 15 / 16 on offense we are not making the playoffs no matter how good our defense is , 

No single player that we draft or trade for is going go to make our offense at least average. Only Josh Allen improving can do that.  I'm not saying we have any elite offensive talent, but what we have should suffice IF Allen does his job.

But a single stud pass rusher could make our defense elite. My dream scenario is trade our 2nd rounder for Clark (thank you Bilzfancy for pointing out that this is possible) and draft Oliver at #9 overall. Free agency filled out the offense pretty well IMO. Not to say we should completely ignore it in the draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You're very needy lately, is everything ok? First you start a lampy Tiger thread even though the final 5 pages of the Masters thread talked about nothing else & now this?  Let me know if you need to talk.

I'm having trouble finding interesting things to talk about, so I'm creating my own.  This thread actually turned out to be pretty interesting. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No single player that we draft or trade for is going go to make our offense at least average. Only Josh Allen improving can do that.  I'm not saying we have any elite offensive talent, but what we have should suffice IF Allen does his job.

But a single stud pass rusher could make our defense elite. My dream scenario is trade our 2nd rounder for Clark (thank you Bilzfancy for pointing out that this is possible) and draft Oliver at #9 overall. Free agency filled out the offense pretty well IMO. Not to say we should completely ignore it in the draft.

I agree Josh will have to improve for us to take a step forward on offense, but how do we help him do that ? Drafting Oliver at 9 ? Or maybe Honck / Metcalf ? You want to help Allen improve? ( IMO ) Use ALL the picks on offense , 

• Like (+1) 1

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.   To get the permission, you'd need to have a trade pretty much agreed to.  I don't see Houston or Seattle giving permission for the Bills to talk with the agent, because if the Bills are willing to give the guy a big contract, it hampers Houston and Seattle's ability to talk trades with anyone else for the next week.   

Maybe there's more behind the scenes talking going on than is permitted, but I get the sense that everyone is pretty good about following those rules.  

It would be risky for the Bills to give up a second round pick without knowing they can sign the guy long term.  

Teams give other teams permission all the time if they are open to trading said player.  Houston and Seattle are not going to block the Bills from talking to the agent if they want to do a trade with Buffalo. This isn’t as hard as you think it is.  Bottom line will always be the contract, both teams know that.  If Bills and Houston can agree on the compensation then Bills will talk to agent to see if they can get in line on contract.  That very well may be what is currently going on.  

Plus us there is good history between Houston and Beane.  This won’t be hard if both parties are into the trade.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That could take our defense from good to great. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Teams give other teams permission all the time if they are open to trading said player.  Houston and Seattle are not going to block the Bills from talking to the agent if they want to do a trade with Buffalo. This isn’t as hard as you think it is.  Bottom line will always be the contract, both teams know that.  If Bills and Houston can agree on the compensation then Bills will talk to agent to see if they can get in line on contract.  That very well may be what is currently going on.  

Plus us there is good history between Houston and Beane.  This won’t be hard if both parties are into the trade.

Isn’t this part of what happened with AB? Whoa, he wants that much money so you get less in the trade. Sorry, no deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Im not sure how anyone can say our offensive talent can “suffice”.  It was one of the least talented groups of either side of the ball in the entire NFL last year.  Yes, Beane did a great job adding value players all over the offense and it will certainly be better.

But someone show me one impact player at a skill position on the offense...just show me one.  Our defense has at least 5 impact players in White, Hyde, Hughes, Poyer, and Edmunds.  And Milano played like one pre injury too.

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for building a stout defense and fine taking a defensive player at 9.  But at the end of the day, our offense has no proven impact player at any skill position.  We got a couple deep ball threats and a good 3rd down guy in Cole.  

Our entire future hinges on Allen’s development.  Nothing matters more.  Offensive weapons take time to develop.  Take the weapons NOW so they can start growing and developing together with Josh.  Any glaring defensive holes can also be drafted next year too and they are not dependent on rapport with another player to develop like a WR or TE is.

People treat this like it’s our last draft ever.  We can upgrade more next offseason when we have a bunch of cap room and the draft again.  But we do not have any potential impact offensive players yet around Allen and nothing matters more than him taking big steps forward.  

Get Josh a major weapon.

If we want to truly contend for a Super Bowl in 2020, we need to add the offensive weapon NOW to get a year together with Josh going into that season.  

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Isn’t this part of what happened with AB? Whoa, he wants that much money so you get less in the trade. Sorry, no deal. 

Exactly.  Beane and Steelers agreed on trade compensation and Beane pulled out when he found out what AB wanted money wise after talking to Drew.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not sure how anyone can say our offensive talent can “suffice”.  It was one of the least talented groups of either side of the ball in the entire NFL last year.  Yes, Beane did a great job adding value players all over the offense and it will certainly be better.

But someone show me one impact player at a skill position on the offense...just show me one.  Our defense has at least 5 impact players in White, Hyde, Hughes, Poyer, and Edmunds.  And Milano played like one pre injury too.

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for building a stout defense and fine taking a defensive player at 9.  But at the end of the day, our offense has no proven impact player at any skill position.  We got a couple deep ball threats and a good 3rd down guy in Cole.  

Our entire future hinges on Allen’s development.  Nothing matters more.  Offensive weapons take time to develop.  Take the weapons NOW so they can start growing and developing together with Josh.  Any glaring defensive holes can also be drafted next year too and they are not dependent on rapport with another player to develop like a WR or TE is.

People treat this like it’s our last draft ever.  We can upgrade more next offseason when we have a bunch of cap room and the draft again.  But we do not have any potential impact offensive players yet around Allen and nothing matters more than him taking big steps forward.  

Get Josh a major weapon.

If we want to truly contend for a Super Bowl in 2020, we need to add the offensive weapon NOW to get a year together with Josh going into that season.  

Exactly.  Beane and Steelers agreed on trade compensation and Beane pulled out when he found out what AB wanted money wise after talking to Drew.  

Great post until the bolded. Not only has everyone said otherwise including Terry Pegula, but you really think Beane is dumb enough to expect to trade for Brown and not give him a new contract? Not to mention the fact that the contract he got from the raiders would be absolutely fine for us. It’s basically 2years guaranteed when we have more than enough cap space. I don’t know why posters on here need to it to be otherwise, but AB not wanting to come to Buffalo at least doesn’t make Beane look like an idiot. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Great post until the bolded. Not only has everyone said otherwise including Terry Pegula, but you really think Beane is dumb enough to expect to trade for Brown and not give him a new contract? Not to mention the fact that the contract he got from the raiders would be absolutely fine for us. It’s basically 2years guaranteed when we have more than enough cap space. I don’t know why posters on here need to it to be otherwise, but AB not wanting to come to Buffalo at least doesn’t make Beane look like an idiot. 

Huh?  I’m not protecting Beane, it’s literally been said by Beane, Drew, etc that Bills and Beane pulled out of the trade by choice.  Not sure what version you have, but this has been already disclosed multiple times now.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1