One week before the draft, and Beane hasn't made one deal

Shaw66

26 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If that were their plan, I don’t know why they would have signed Fitz. Rosen isn’t going to be on the bench unless he goes to the Giants

I could see several team with a starting vet trading for him.  Pats, chargers, broncos, Miami, titans to name a few.  If I’m the dolphins, I’d tank for 2 years and grab Trevor Lawrence. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

He already did the wheelin n dealin last year.  Thats why we have 10 picks and not 7.

• Like (+1) 1

Almost all of Beane's trades last year were related to getting a QB.

Each move was part of a strategy to get more picks, or to gradually move up the board.

This year, I think teams (not just Buffalo) will be waiting to see how the draft unfolds.

I could see us moving up or down from #9.  Same with our Day 2-3 selections.

I could see us making a trade for a big-name player.

I could see us trading away someone, especially if whoever we pick makes them expendable. 

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Hey, look.  Mario is wearing dreads these days.

If he gives us the same production I'll take it.  We have a much better team now than we did then and no Rex Ryan on the horizon to ruin the best DL in the league.(back then)

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.   To get the permission, you'd need to have a trade pretty much agreed to.  I don't see Houston or Seattle giving permission for the Bills to talk with the agent, because if the Bills are willing to give the guy a big contract, it hampers Houston and Seattle's ability to talk trades with anyone else for the next week.   

Maybe there's more behind the scenes talking going on than is permitted, but I get the sense that everyone is pretty good about following those rules.  

It would be risky for the Bills to give up a second round pick without knowing they can sign the guy long term.  

For all we know This has already been discussed.

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, I agree with this.   It's just boring sitting around with nothing happening, waiting for the draft to start.

I think we've seen Beane's appetite in free agency.   He'll pay what he did for Morse, and he'll pay what he did for Star, but he's going to be very cautious about writing $20 million checks.   AB, he told us, yeah, maybe, but if you aren't a certifiably special talent like AB, he's not too interested.  

After all, what he means by building through the draft is that he can afford to keep the team well enough stocked with talent by having a lot of players on their first contracts and by spending his money on the cream of the draft crops as they reach free agency.  He gets two benefits out of that.   One is that he stays out of cap hell.  Second, he gets the benefit of the really good players for ten years instead of just five.  Clowney's a perfect example.   If he fits the Bills' system and process, he's a star for the next five years.   Draft the best edge rusher coming out this year (and you're taking him because you've already determined that he fits the system and process), and you've got a star for ten years.  Ten is better than five.  

Still, I'm bored.  

It’s after the draft to August that kills me. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

.trade a 1st for Burfict....how's that for entertainment bud?..........

48 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Still, I'm bored.  

When it comes to team building, boring wins ball games.

The Whaley offseasons (the Ryan years, in particular) were some of the most fun times to be a Bills fan. Mario Williams watch, trading for McCoy, prying Clay away from the Dolphins, trading up for Watkins. Fun, fun, fun! Then the team started playing football games. Not so fun.

Meanwhile, I can only imagine that Patriots fans are routinely bored to tears during the offseason. Once their team starts playing football games, though? FUN!

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.trade a 1st for Burfict....how's that for entertainment bud?..........

That's one of the funniest/scariest thinks I've seen in weeks!!!

If they do that, it means they REALLY  believe in the process!

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

When it comes to team building, boring wins ball games.

The Whaley offseasons (the Ryan years, in particular) were some of the most fun times to be a Bills fan. Mario Williams watch, trading for McCoy, prying Clay away from the Dolphins, trading up for Watkins. Fun, fun, fun! Then the team started playing football games. Not so fun.

Meanwhile, I can only imagine that Patriots fans are routinely bored to tears during the offseason. Once their team starts playing football games, though? FUN!

Well put.   

I'll meditate tonight to the mantra "boring is good."

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Twas the night before Christmas- I stand by my prediction Beane makes 3+ trades by the end of the draft!

I think you're right.  Maybe nothing until the draft starts, but I think once it starts, Beane has a hard time sitting still.  

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

trade down with Seattle and get this dude too!

Frank Clark, Seahawks

I sweat a lot too.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Each move was part of a strategy to get more picks, or to gradually move up the board.

This year, I think teams (not just Buffalo) will be waiting to see how the draft unfolds.

I could see us making a trade for a big-name player.

I could see us trading away someone, especially if whoever we pick makes them expendable. 

Well that covers about everything that could happen.  By the way, I don't have much better a clue either.

5 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

Gerald McCoy for a 4th seems like the best bet 

That would be good.  There are a number of small school good defensive linemen and good DL who played for weak, big-time schools and didn't get the credit.  With our 4th and 5th round picks we can take some flyers on these, and even a couple of one-trick ponies could be a help.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, but I think those talks have to the draft starts.   If I'm the Seahawks and I think the Bills' second isn't enough but no one else is offering much better and I let the Bills talk to Clark, the Bills may be willing to offer a lot (in part because they think they're making out by getting away with a low-ball draft pick).   So Bills offer a lot and Clark says he's take it.   This all happens before the draft, but the Bills won't commit until after they pick at 9.   Well, that kills the pre-draft market for the Seahawks, because some team that would offer a first for Clark would have to be willing to match, at least, the Bills' offer.  But the Bills offer was high BECAUSE they weren't offering a high pick .   

So I don't see how the mechanics would work to put together that kind of a deal before the draft, and I don't think there's enough time to put it together after the Bills pick at 9.   

By the way, I've convinced myself that if there IS a deal for one of them, I want Clark.   He just seems more likely to settle into the process and commit to it.  I haven't seen much of him at all, but he strikes as sort of a souped up version of Hughes, and Hughes has turned into a very effective DE.   

I agree with the bolded.  The question is can a deal before the draft be made and kept on the qt?

IMO there cannot be a rational trade for Clark to be made unless Clark and his agent have already OK'd the trade.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I could see us making a trade for a bieg-name player.

Of course it was and Beane even said on multiple occasions that the #1 job of a GM is getting the right QB.

Anyone talking about moves other than this NOT being secondary didn't hear him correctly.