One week before the draft, and Beane hasn't made one deal

Shaw66

Is Beane sick or something?

We need some entertainment here.  There's gotta be a Cordy Glenn on the roster he can package with some picks to give himself more to work with.   

Come on.   Time's awastin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have this hunch that after we pick in the 1st round, Beane will try and trade our 2nd rounder for Frank Clark or Javdeon Clowney. I don't think they want to trade for a player until they know who they get at pick 9. But Beane keeps saying they have the cap space left over to sign another impact player and I don't think he's just making conversation.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I have this hunch that after we pick in the 1st round, Beane will try and trade our 2nd rounder for Frank Clark or Javdeon Clowney. I don't think they want to trade for a player until they know who they get at pick 9. But Beane keeps saying they have the cap space left over to sign another impact player and I don't think he's just making conversation.

Think you are right I would not be shocked if they package some picks for a pass rusher or WR

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.   To get the permission, you'd need to have a trade pretty much agreed to.  I don't see Houston or Seattle giving permission for the Bills to talk with the agent, because if the Bills are willing to give the guy a big contract, it hampers Houston and Seattle's ability to talk trades with anyone else for the next week.   

Maybe there's more behind the scenes talking going on than is permitted, but I get the sense that everyone is pretty good about following those rules.  

It would be risky for the Bills to give up a second round pick without knowing they can sign the guy long term.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think, like other teams are with QB’s, the Bills want to see what falls to them. 

If Allen falls to 5, would you rather trade up and get him or trade to get a Clark whom you also have to pay.  

Most of the player trades are available for 2nd rounders, Friday morning/afternoon could be an interesting day.  

I think Rosen could go sooner, but those QB teams may view him as plan B

• Like (+1) 2

i think just like a draft board , they have trade deals cooked up....either for draft position and /or players. i'm assuming gms can talk. well joe gm, if things fall this way or that,  would you be willing to? i could be wrong...

Edited by billsredneck1

I don’t think the wizard is pulling anymore trades unless it’s moving around the draft board. We are gonna pull 1-2 elite talent prospects in the draft along with what we have is a solid group. I can’t see Beane forking over 100 million for someone right now. That’s how you get into cap hell. You pay 100 million for a generational talent, a quarterback or someone you’re familiar with cause they’ve been on your team for years and proven they’re worth it and gonna keep working. Why give Clowney 100 mill when you can more than likely get as good of a pass rusher in the first round? I suppose if you’re just missing that one piece to be a super bowl contender you could pull the trigger but we’re not on that level yet. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think, like other teams are with QB’s, the Bills want to see what falls to them. 

If Allen falls to 5, would you rather trade up and get him or trade to get a Clark whom you also have to pay.  

Most of the player trades are available for 2nd rounders, Friday morning/afternoon could be an interesting day.  

i think it'd be smart for miami to get rosen and immediately build their lines.  not that i would wish them luck, but it will be interesting to see what they do.

play pooha for tua?

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Didn’t we have the exact same discussion last year?!

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think it'd be smart for miami to get rosen and immediately build their lines.  not that i would wish them luck, but it will be interesting to see what they do.

play pooha for tua?

If that were their plan, I don’t know why they would have signed Fitz. Rosen isn’t going to be on the bench unless he goes to the Giants

32 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a tough deal to make.  Really can't do either trade unless you know you can sign the guy to a long-term deal, but I don't think they can talk to the agent without the other team's permission.

Not sure about Clowney but I've seen reports that the Seahawks were already fielding offers for Clark. I imagine the Wilson deal will only solidify that. So the Bills would probably already have an extension in place before the trade went through. If they know they can't afford him, there's no harm in letting potential trade partners talk to his agent.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure about Clowney but I've seen reports that the Seahawks were already fielding offers for Clark. I imagine the Wilson deal will only solidify that. So the Bills would probably already have an extension in place before the trade went through. If they know they can't afford him, there's no harm in letting potential trade partners talk to his agent.

I agree, but I think those talks have to happen before the draft starts.   If I'm the Seahawks and I think the Bills' second isn't enough but no one else is offering much better and I let the Bills talk to Clark, the Bills may be willing to offer a lot (in part because they think they're making out by getting away with a low-ball draft pick).   So Bills offer a lot and Clark says he's take it.   This all happens before the draft, but the Bills won't commit until after they pick at 9.   Well, that kills the pre-draft market for the Seahawks, because some team that would offer a first for Clark would have to be willing to match, at least, the Bills' offer.  But the Bills offer was high BECAUSE they weren't offering a high pick .   

So I don't see how the mechanics would work to put together that kind of a deal before the draft, and I don't think there's enough time to put it together after the Bills pick at 9.   

By the way, I've convinced myself that if there IS a deal for one of them, I want Clark.   He just seems more likely to settle into the process and commit to it.  I haven't seen much of him at all, but he strikes as sort of a souped up version of Hughes, and Hughes has turned into a very effective DE.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If that were their plan, I don’t know why they would have signed Fitz. Rosen isn’t going to be on the bench unless he goes to the Giants

maybe, but fitz is cheap, a good teacher and if their oline isn't good rosen would die. he's probably a better prospect than this year's crop and for a pick would, imo be a good investment.

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think the wizard is pulling anymore trades unless it’s moving around the draft board. We are gonna pull 1-2 elite talent prospects in the draft along with what we have is a solid group. I can’t see Beane forking over 100 million for someone right now. That’s how you get into cap hell. You pay 100 million for a generational talent, a quarterback or someone you’re familiar with cause they’ve been on your team for years and proven they’re worth it and gonna keep working. Why give Clowney 100 mill when you can more than likely get as good of a pass rusher in the first round? I suppose if you’re just missing that one piece to be a super bowl contender you could pull the trigger but we’re not on that level yet. 

Actually, I agree with this.   It's just boring sitting around with nothing happening, waiting for the draft to start.

I think we've seen Beane's appetite in free agency.   He'll pay what he did for Morse, and he'll pay what he did for Star, but he's going to be very cautious about writing $20 million checks.   AB, he told us, yeah, maybe, but if you aren't a certifiably special talent like AB, he's not too interested.  

After all, what he means by building through the draft is that he can afford to keep the team well enough stocked with talent by having a lot of players on their first contracts and by spending his money on the cream of the draft crops as they reach free agency.  He gets two benefits out of that.   One is that he stays out of cap hell.  Second, he gets the benefit of the really good players for ten years instead of just five.  Clowney's a perfect example.   If he fits the Bills' system and process, he's a star for the next five years.   Draft the best edge rusher coming out this year (and you're taking him because you've already determined that he fits the system and process), and you've got a star for ten years.  Ten is better than five.  

Still, I'm bored.