Why is Quinnen Williams being mocked to Jets, Raiders or Tampa Bay?

I know that the best draft philosophy is BPA. But it does come with some limitations. Teams needing a QB routinely draft for need. Similarly teams with franchise QBs dont draft an elite QB prospect since they dont need him. I think several draft analysts are ignoring team needs and fit completely in their mocks when it comes to slotting Q. Williams. 

Jets have Leonard Williams on the inside. They just picked up his 5th year option. He is a much better 3-tech DT than a DE. Even the Jets employed him way way more as a DT last season. I just dont see him together with Q. Williams as part of an effective DL. Additionally, in the event of no trade down, they have the luxury of picking either Josh Allen or Bosa (who are equally elite) and they have an acute need at Edge. So why on earth would they take Q. over JA or NB?

Raiders have Maurice Hurst and PJ Hall on the inside. Their acute needs on the defensive line are more Edge rusher and LB than DT. Would they ignore their main area of need (replacing Khalil Mack) to double down on DTs? If they dont trade down, they may be better off with a Devin White or Rashan Gary / Montex Sweat no?

Finally, the most head scratching mocks are Q. Williams to Tampa Bay. With Arians / Bowles, they will go back to a 3-4. That (along with cap situation) have forced them to contemplate a future without Gerald McCoy. They drafted Vita Vea at #12 and last season, he was doing well after a slow start before being sidelined by injury. And he is the perfect NT for a 3-4. Q. Williams will eb good as well but probably not a significant upgrade over Vita Vea if he is going to be used as a 3-4 NT (In my mind the real value of Q. Williams is as a 4-3 3-tech DT alongside a space eating fellow DT like Star). So why would TB, if no trade down, ignore the LB or Edge rusher spots and draft Q. Williams?

Q. Williams might still be taken #3, #4 or #5. But it likely will be because of a trade down.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I know that the best draft philosophy is BPA. But it does come with some limitations. Teams needing a QB routinely draft for need. Similarly teams with franchise QBs dont draft an elite QB prospect since they dont need him. I think several draft analysts are ignoring team needs and fit completely in their mocks when it comes to slotting Q. Williams. 

Jets have Leonard Williams on the inside. They just picked up his 5th year option. He is a much better 3-tech DT than a DE. Even the Jets employed him way way more as a DT last season. I just dont see him together with Q. Williams as part of an effective DL. Additionally, in the event of no trade down, they have the luxury of picking either Josh Allen or Bosa (who are equally elite) and they have an acute need at Edge. So why on earth would they take Q. over JA or NB?

Raiders have Maurice Hurst and PJ Hall on the inside. Their acute needs on the defensive line are more Edge rusher and LB than DT. Would they ignore their main area of need (replacing Khalil Mack) to double down on DTs? If they dont trade down, they may be better off with a Devin White or Rashan Gary / Montex Sweat no?

Finally, the most head scratching mocks are Q. Williams to Tampa Bay. With Arians / Bowles, they will go back to a 3-4. That (along with cap situation) have forced them to contemplate a future without Gerald McCoy. They drafted Vita Vea at #12 and last season, he was doing well after a slow start before being sidelined by injury. And he is the perfect NT for a 3-4. Q. Williams will eb good as well but probably not a significant upgrade over Vita Vea if he is going to be used as a 3-4 NT (In my mind the real value of Q. Williams is as a 4-3 3-tech DT alongside a space eating fellow DT like Star). So why would TB, if no trade down, ignore the LB or Edge rusher spots and draft Q. Williams?

Q. Williams might still be taken #3, #4 or #5. But it likely will be because of a trade down.

Quinnen Williams >>>>> Gary and sweat combined 

So I don't think you don't take Williams because you have Hurst and Hall. Equally with the Jets it depends what they really think about Leonard Williams inside that building. I do agree to some extent on the Buccs. Not sure he is a fit there but who knows how Bowles will want to line them up. 

Quinnen Williams is the best player in this draft. If we somehow end up with him I would go nuts. BPA and fits a major need. 

I always thought his name was Quentin. First time hearing the name Quinnen.  ?   

• Like (+1) 1

Do you remember why the Jets have Leonard Williams in the first place?

It's because they drafted him despite having Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Damon Harrison on their starting DL and under contract for the foreseeable future already.

If the Jets don't trade down they are getting either Allen or Bosa whichever is left.  I think that is the easiest pick to call outside of Murray.  That said now I'm sure I will be wrong but if the Cards do indeed go Murray, they are guaranteed an elite pass rushing prospect.

I think it goes

1. Murray

2. Bosa

3. Allen

4. This is where it gets murky as the Raiders could go in a ton of different directions.  I agree with @GunnerBill they don't avoid Quinnen bc of their current dts.  If they don't pick him it will be because they have someone ranked higher (possibly even Oliver at DT).

Just now, section122 said:

If the Jets don't trade down they are getting either Allen or Bosa whichever is left.  I think that is the easiest pick to call outside of Murray.  That said now I'm sure I will be wrong but if the Cards do indeed go Murray, they are guaranteed an elite pass rushing prospect.

I think it goes

1. Murray

2. Bosa

3. Allen

4. This is where it gets murky as the Raiders could go in a ton of different directions.  I agree with @GunnerBill they don't avoid Quinnen bc of their current dts.  If they don't pick him it will be because they have someone ranked higher (possibly even Oliver at DT).

I still think Williams is very much in play at #2 with the 49ers. See him less likely at #3 - where I agree the Jets likely go Bosa or Allen. Then #4 I think Williams, Oliver and White are the top two contenders and at #5 White or Allen.

There is a chance it goes: Murray, Bosa, Allen, Oliver, White.... but then the Giants take Q at #6. I don't think he falls any further than that.

If the Jets take Quinnen third- or even Oliver- as great as those players are, as the team presently plans to line up there would be some diminishing returns somewhere when you consider that their base defense, despite Gregg Williams being a career 4-3 guy, will remain a 34, Gase said.  I realize that teams employ 4-down lineman on most passing downs- practically half the game- but unless Williams plans to use Oliver like Donald is used in Wade's 34 (when Williams had Donald with the Rams they were still a 4-3 defense), Oliver would be non-optimally fitted as a 34 NT like he was at Houston.  It's also not Quinnen Williams' best position- and they just pad Henry Anderson 3 years, $25 million & purportedly plan to extend Leonard Williams.  Those two together are high-quality 34 DE's.

New York desperately needs an outside pass-rusher, which they have since the incipience of the Rex Ryan era a decade ago.  But they're not in love with Josh Allen- and Bosa won't see two teams pass him up.

Edited by Midwest1981

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Do you remember why the Jets have Leonard Williams in the first place?

It's because they drafted him despite having Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Damon Harrison on their starting DL and under contract for the foreseeable future already.

Lol, I was going to post the same thing. The Jets are with D-tackles the same way the early 2000s Bills were with RBs... Mcgahee, Henry, Lynch, Freddie, Spiller... didn’t matter who we already had, let’s get another RB!

30 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

The Gentry 'idea' and now this?

Its like he just figured out how to start threads and cant help himself and/or needs the practice.

Just bc you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD fwiw?

Now hold on a minute

So if Q. Williams starts dropping are you going to come back here and apologize to that poster?

I dont think he drops....but stranger things have happened

39 minutes ago, wppete said:

Quinnen Williams is the best player in this draft. If we somehow end up with him I would go nuts. BPA and fits a major need. 

I always thought his name was Quentin. First time hearing the name Quinnen.  ?   

You know he’s the best player in the draft yet you didn’t know his name until today? 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think Williams is very much in play at #2 with the 49ers. See him less likely at #3 - where I agree the Jets likely go Bosa or Allen. Then #4 I think Williams, Oliver and White are the top two contenders and at #5 White or Allen.

There is a chance it goes: Murray, Bosa, Allen, Oliver, White.... but then the Giants take Q at #6. I don't think he falls any further than that.

Yeah I think 6 is Q's floor.  Giants have a need there and Gettleman has shown he will grab his highest ranked player regardless of position (Saquon).

Bosa should go to the 49ers but that might be more what I want to happen rather than what will happen.  I see him as more of a sure thing than the other Josh Allen.

I'd be shocked if TB takes him (think there's a much higher likelihood of them trading out of that spot if he falls there) -- he's not a NT, but could ostensibly be tried at 5T?

The Jets are the Jets, there's absolutely no way to know what they're thinking, but if they DID take Q, I'd be interested to see what their plans for him were, or if Leonard might be available? I'd gladly take him as our 3T (not that I think they'd trade with us, but it'd be intriguing...)

Similar deal with SF -- if they take Q, one of their young DL may become available. Doubt it'd be Buckner, but Armstead or Solomon Thomas might be nice, young affordable pickups in that event.

I think there's a real chance he falls to 5 -- especially when you take into consideration the fact that it's entirely possible one or more teams trade up for a QB...

1 minute ago, section122 said:

Yeah I think 6 is Q's floor.  Giants have a need there and Gettleman has shown he will grab his highest ranked player regardless of position (Saquon).

Bosa should go to the 49ers but that might be more what I want to happen rather than what will happen.  I see him as more of a sure thing than the other Josh Allen.

Whether its the GMen or somebody else, he's way too good to fall too much farther than that. I think we'd need to trade with TB to secure him if he got that far...

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I'd be shocked if TB takes him (think there's a much higher likelihood of them trading out of that spot if he falls there) -- he's not a NT, but could ostensibly be tried at 5T?

The Jets are the Jets, there's absolutely no way to know what they're thinking, but if they DID take Q, I'd be interested to see what their plans for him were, or if Leonard might be available? I'd gladly take him as our 3T (not that I think they'd trade with us, but it'd be intriguing...)

Similar deal with SF -- if they take Q, one of their young DL may become available. Doubt it'd be Buckner, but Armstead or Solomon Thomas might be nice, young affordable pickups in that event.

I think there's a real chance he falls to 5 -- especially when you take into consideration the fact that it's entirely possible one or more teams trade up for a QB...

Whether its the GMen or somebody else, he's way too good to fall too much farther than that. I think we'd need to trade with TB to secure him if he got that far...

I really REALLY don't want to trade up in this draft to pick a player at a low value position that is deep.  It will reek of Watkins again imo.  The cost associated with a move from 9 to 5 is way too high.  The Bills still need to build depth and aren't the proverbial one player away that allow a trade up for a non-qb to help them more than it hurts.  Again all imo.

• Like (+1) 1