DirecTV/NFL relationship developing cracks, could impact draft coverage and NFL ticket

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I looked into youtube tv. They don't have the NFL Network and that is a must for me. I watch that channel religiously lol. It's like a catch 22. Sling doesn't have the local channels but has NFL Network and youtube doesn't have NFL Network but has the local channels lol. I just bought the antenna today but I can't get it working. I'm not sure what I need to be doing. I hooked the antenna cable to the back of the tv but no matter what input I put my tv on, I don't get a menu or anything to set my antenna up. It might be because I'm still using the Directv remotes which I still have? The TV is old and I can't find the original remote. Maybe something isn't hooked up right somewhere in my house as far as my cable wires?

Antenna's are tricky. I had no luck back in PA, but have very few problems here in Vegas. I doubt it's the remote because even the DTV remote allows you to change HDMI/INPUT. The one I have now was a little more expensive, but I can't remember the model and all it say's is "Made in Taiwan." I would take the Antenna back and try a different one, and just return that as well if it doesn't work. Like I said, they are tricky. No idea if this one would have worked back in PA.

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Antenna's are tricky. I had no luck back in PA, but have very few problems here in Vegas. I doubt it's the remote because even the DTV remote allows you to change HDMI/INPUT. The one I have now was a little more expensive, but I can't remember the model and all it say's is "Made in Taiwan." I would take the Antenna back and try a different one, and just return that as well if it doesn't work. Like I said, they are tricky. No idea if this one would have worked back in PA.

Do you know which input I should have it on?

4 hours ago, nucci said:

I sincerely hope it goes to a cable provider, i dont want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service just to watch the bills. I would not mind if it went to comcast or better yet, Verizon (fastest and best internet).  Then i would not have to lose service during every freaking snow storm or severe t storm.

You know its funny, the first 3-4 years i had direc tv i lost service like once. Last 5 years or so, i lose service like 4-5 times a year....

On 4/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, YoloinOhio said:

NFLN currently off of DirecTV Now and Uverse. If not resolved by next week those customers will need to watch draft on ESPN. NFL Ticket ownership hanging by a thread. I only have DirecTV (regular version) because of the Ticket - it’s super expensive and I hate losing service when it rains hard. Would love to make a change if the Ticket goes elsewhere.

I have streamed Sunday ticket for almost 10 years, first with PlayStation now through apply tv. Sunday Ticket is expensive but it doesn’t need the ancillary  subscription. 

Internet is so good now it just works, ability to watch on the go is a bonus. 

I wonder at some point if the nfl just streams it’s own product... mlbtv and NHL seem to do this. 

13 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I sincerely hope it goes to a cable provider, i dont want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service just to watch the bills. I would not mind if it went to comcast or better yet, Verizon (fastest and best internet).  Then i would not have to lose service during every freaking snow storm or severe t storm.

You know its funny, the first 3-4 years i had direc tv i lost service like once. Last 5 years or so, i lose service like 4-5 times a year....

The reason it won’t it because these providers are limited to where they can supply service due to monopolies 

but dish and directv can be sold anywhere so this allows the NFL reach more customers 

if you limit yourself to Verizon or even Att uverse they are only allowed in parts of certain states 

the option the NFL gives customers is if they are in an apartment and they can’t get a dish they can purchase the app logins for 280 a year 

i could see the NFL allowing an app like amazon purchase the rights but I still don’t think they would be able to make the money they can with directv 

lets say it was only app based and you didnt have a strong strong internet connection due to location ... the only option is a dish since no land line provider is in that area and an app cant be used bc of speeds so that customer would have no ability to use the app 

directv can reach a wider amount of customers 

directv pays the nfl a ton of money for it 

nfl can still charge people in apartments and condo/duplex’s 280 for the app 

nfl makes more money keeping it with directv 

also they would have the ability to maybe cross it with other services owned by Att like uverse or directv now to reach even more customers 

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I would like it stay on DirecTV...just lower the price...it can be offered on other services as well

AT&T/DirecTV is already moving away from the satellite platform.  At the end of last year, AT&T CEO said they have launched their last DirecTV satellite:

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-att-says-its-done-buying-satellites/

Whether the NFL sticks with AT&T/DirecTV or moves onto another provider, the NFL wants the media available via streaming platforms vice a fixed physical set top box

• Thank you (+1) 1

My my my.. how the world changes.

In 1999, when I had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket it was da bomb. Customer support, compared to cable, was outstanding.

DirecTV was the place to be. Now, apparently, it sucks. It would be a good case study for an MBA class.

Today, I have Verizon Fios and will until you pry it from my cold dead hands. Yes.. it's NFL coverage is lacking.. oh well.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I have streamed Sunday ticket for almost 10 years, first with PlayStation now through apply tv. Sunday Ticket is expensive but it doesn’t need the ancillary  subscription. 

Internet is so good now it just works, ability to watch on the go is a bonus. 

I wonder at some point if the nfl just streams it’s own product... mlbtv and NHL seem to do this. 

Yes but they still offer that product for customers on cable/dish providers because not everyone can get fast enough internet 

I just don’t see them going app only 

I could see a deal or a cost to allow Sunday ticket to be sold on any TV provider 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, Bills2ref said:

Only reason I have Directv is the Sunday Ticket. Their customer support/service is absolutely non-existent. 

It's only since they merged with AT&T. Before that, their customer service was fantastic. Now it's a train wreck 

22 minutes ago, boater said:

My my my.. how the world changes.

In 1999, when I had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket it was da bomb. Customer support, compared to cable, was outstanding.

DirecTV was the place to be. Now, apparently, it sucks. It would be a good case study for an MBA class.

It's not so much that DirecTV sucks as much as it is antiquated technology and a changing market.

They had their time in the sun, but the run is over. I also remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever; a dish on the side of your house that brought hundreds of channels into the living room. But times change as they say. Not sure who they is, but it's gotta be somebody..I think.