DirecTV/NFL relationship developing cracks, could impact draft coverage and NFL ticket

Been a DirecTV subscriber since the Bronze Age. Sunday Ticket (with its access to Bills' games) was the draw. But the past few years, I find that I've been recording the games while getting on with my life on Sunday afternoons. I check the final score. Bills win and I'll watch. Bills lose and I hit delete. 

I don't have any real issues with customer service, but if the Sunday Ticket package becomes available on another platform, I'm done with DTV. 

Their pricing is getting ridiculous, but my wife's employer partially subsidizes the cost (as well as the cost of our internet connection,  Netflix and other streaming services, and her cell phone), so I can't grouse too much. But like I said, if Sunday Ticket goes, so do I.

8 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Been a DirecTV subscriber since the Bronze Age. Sunday Ticket (with its access to Bills' games) was the draw. But the past few years, I find that I've been recording the games while getting on with my life on Sunday afternoons. I check the final score. Bills win and I'll watch. Bills lose and I hit delete. 

I don't have any real issues with customer service, but if the Sunday Ticket package becomes available on another platform, I'm done with DTV. 

Their pricing is getting ridiculous, but my wife's employer partially subsidizes the cost (as well as the cost of our internet connection,  Netflix and other streaming services, and her cell phone), so I can't grouse too much. But like I said, if Sunday Ticket goes, so do I.

Why not just get NFL Game Pass?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Wow ... you are a screen junkie.... :D 

Football junkie!

41 minutes ago, dubs said:

I just do DirecTV Now. It’s like 40 bucks a month, inc HBO. Sometimes the app is a little buggy, but other than that, it’s v solid. 

That’s the service that just lost NFLN (for now) ... I need my NFLN! 

• Like (+1) 2

In recent years I have spent more time on NFLN than ESPN during the draft. I hope they can kiss and make up before the magical day we have all been waiting for. Mayock is gone, but I still like options. 

Oh, and if the DO figure it out, can we PLEASE not BOTH go to commercial when the Bills are picking? UGH! 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Football junkie!

That’s the service that just lost NFLN (for now) ... I need my NFLN! 

I noticed that tonight. Weird. Tried to throw on Path to the Draft and some weird web address came up. 

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Sling is good, but you should consider YouTubeTV. They offer local channels without the need for an antenna and they have quite a few promos.

I looked into youtube tv. They don't have the NFL Network and that is a must for me. I watch that channel religiously lol. It's like a catch 22. Sling doesn't have the local channels but has NFL Network and youtube doesn't have NFL Network but has the local channels lol. I just bought the antenna today but I can't get it working. I'm not sure what I need to be doing. I hooked the antenna cable to the back of the tv but no matter what input I put my tv on, I don't get a menu or anything to set my antenna up. It might be because I'm still using the Directv remotes which I still have? The TV is old and I can't find the original remote. Maybe something isn't hooked up right somewhere in my house as far as my cable wires?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

Yeah I read it. Just going off history. Every time we get excited direct tv will lose the contract as it comes up for renewal, and we dream it will be available on other platforms like Canada has, at last minute, direct tv swoops back in and makes offer NFL can not refuse.

Yep. They HAVE to. Nothing else they offer is worth the trouble. Lose Sunday Ticket, shutter up the joint.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep. They HAVE to. Nothing else they offer is worth the trouble. Lose Sunday Ticket, shutter up the joint.

This is truth.  It's why they basically give it away to their subscribers as well (if you work a little bit for it).

I've been a DTV guy for 25 (crap, I'm old) years.  I still like it but I'd be happy to switch over to Google TV or something else eventually.  When DTV does lose the Ticket, or it becomes available in a reliable way over another platform that doesn't require a DTV subscription, I'll likely switch.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me too. I have 6 TVs including one outside and I want to easily put on any game at any time on any of them. I don’t care about the cost of nfl ticket and have no reason to “cut the cord” - I’m all about ease and just want my channels without hassle. But directv is pricey and I will just follow wherever the nfl ticket goes. I also love being able to watch the Ticket on my phone.

I wanna hang witchoo on Sundays in the Fall!

I have DTV and my NFL network is still working?  Hope they don’t shut it down because I don’t have ESPN.

DTV has been good to me as a traveling military member and now as a government contractor.  If they try to jack my costs up tho I’m out of it.  

The only reason i have it is because of Sunday ticket. The day that goes I’m losing the dish.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Me too. I have 6 TVs including one outside and I want to easily put on any game at any time on any of them. I don’t care about the cost of nfl ticket and have no reason to “cut the cord” - I’m all about ease and just want my channels without hassle. But directv is pricey and I will just follow wherever the nfl ticket goes. I also love being able to watch the Ticket on my phone.

Yep, this is pretty much me as well.

I think Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping DirecTV around. It's literally the only reason I still have mine. Just seems so dated. Horrible customer service. And you can't watch when weather is crappy? Seriously feels like something from the 90's.

2 minutes ago, R Y G A R said:

I think Sunday Ticket is the only thing keeping DirecTV around. It's literally the only reason I still have mine. Just seems so dated. Horrible customer service. And you can't watch when weather is crappy? Seriously feels like something from the 90's.

Exactly! Save us, Roger!

19 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This. Over-saturation of streaming services is a thing. When there's no more cable or satellite, MANY people will miss the good ol' days... As they cycle through sources on their TV input, going to the device that has one of the 8 streaming services they subscribe to and pay separately each month. It's already bad and it's going to get much worse.

And I'm a millennial btw.

Integration with virtual assistants will probably eliminate a fair amount of the clutter as we move forward. We’re still not there yet, but that seems to be where things are trending. Some of these streaming services will probably disappear or consolidate over time as well. Gonna be an interesting decade as all of this tech evolves. 

As for myself... I’m pretty content with Netflix (standard), Amazon, Hulu (limited ads), and Spectrum Choice with HBO. I used most of my 10 choice channels for sports programming. That said, spectrum choice isn’t something the company advertises. You have to request it, and they kind of spam you in an effort to get you to upgrade.