DirecTV/NFL relationship developing cracks, could impact draft coverage and NFL ticket

Yeah this day has been coming for awhile.. There are more profitable avenues now available to the NFL. DirecTV built its business on the back of NFL Sunday ticket, but the days of them depending on the NFL to maintain their subscriber base is over with. DirecTV needs to revamp their model which they are... They will still be a powerhouse in streaming services IMO

I hope they part ways because I am likely getting rid of directv soon regardless. Ticket was the only thing keeping me around.

Absolutley terrible in a region like WNY. I lose signal at times over heavy cloud coverage. Poor weather is precisely when I want to be in watching tv. 

• Like (+1) 1

Directv is going to be obsolete sooner than later.  The telecoms will probably control the FCC to get the rules slanted in their favor for awhile longer, but it cant stop the inevitable.  

Streaming is going to be the future, and we wont see 1 or 2 offerors.  We will have Disney, and Netflix, and HBO, etc breaking off with their own apps and fees.   It will be a matter of time until sports leagues go with primarily streaming.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is either viruses, mail order brides, or a pyramid scheme... That's a hard pass from me dawg. 

?

Huh? Ummm ok. On a greyhound now...just got done watching First Take...def a legit service albeit much better if it came with a mail order bride.

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Got the ticket via online last year. It was worth it to watch the Bills, but dang, it’s got a ton of bugs. 

They need to just put all the games on prime. Make it a pay to play type deal where you can buy an individual game, or a season pass for a certain team, or the whole NFL season. screw local broadcasting rules. Just put them all on the internet. 

I did this for 3 years and the service was AWFUL.  Last season i decided to save my $199 and just stream off of links on Reddit and Discord.  it was far better, and of course, free.

Called directv the other day after all my promotions fell off last month and my bill went over $120 a month and threatened to cancel since my contract expired so I could get cheaper service back. Instead of offering me a good deal to keep me, the only thing they offered was to lower my package which would have eliminated the NFL network. The guy then asked me "so, what would you like me to do for you then?" To which I replied "just cancel my service then" and he said "ok, send your equipment back by this date". I couldn't believe how easy they let me go. Not even one phone call after I cancelled to entice me to come back. I have went to Sling for much cheaper and will be getting an HD antenna to get my local channels

What they should do is pull the plug on exclusivity and then let every media company offer it to their customers.

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Great just when I get my DTV back up again!

And Im supposed to have free NFL Sunday Ticket this year

It won't affect this year. They can pull the plug after the 2019 season. 

Direct TV will lose a ton of customers if they dont have Sunday Ticket.  I would definitely cancel. I dont stream any games online. I like to get stuff done Sunday morning and start the game about an hour and a half after it starts to fast forward commercials and half time. Usually leaves me catching the 4th quarter live. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, elijah said:

I’m surprised services like this are still kicking considering the amount of streams you can find online for free. 

I dont think there was a game last year that you couldn’t find on a reddit stream. 

Some people just want to sit down, turn on the TV, and know where the game is without having to scramble around the internet and then "hope" the feed doesn't cut out.  Even more so if they have guests over.  There will always be a market for services "like this."

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Only reason I have Directv is the Sunday Ticket. Their customer support/service is absolutely non-existent. 

After years of buying their service I moved.  Tried to have service set up at new place but trees and other factors caused loss of sight line to satellites.  Therefore, I had their equipment in my garage for months.  I ask them repeatedly what I need to do with it.  They never respond.  I take their stuff to the dump more than a year later.  Finally, a they send me a letter and fine me because their stuff was not returned.  They say I owe them $300.00 and if not paid they will hit my credit report and turn me over to collections.  I call to explain and they simply say you owe the money “it’s in the contract.”.  I’m pissed but pay them to avoid the hassles.

To beat all, about once a month they send me notices on “sign-up deals.”

There is no way in hell I will ever do business with them again.  Period.

43 minutes ago, eball said:

Some people just want to sit down, turn on the TV, and know where the game is without having to scramble around the internet and then "hope" the feed doesn't cut out.  Even more so if they have guests over.  There will always be a market for services "like this."

This is me! I pay for convenience. I’m a busy errr lazy person.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, eball said:

I wouldn’t go with ‘always’. Things change in tech world by the day. I had Sunday Ticket since ‘96, but dropped it last year and went reddit. Still a few bumps to iron out, but saw the entire games. I miss taping the games for future look backs, but I’m guessing that will be available some way soon. 

Virtually no one is having dishes installed anymore and cable subscribers are fleeing by the droves. There’s already countless ways to view programming. Just a hunch, but I think the League is creating the turmoil with DTV in an attempt at an ‘early out’ so they can begin marketing specific teams and games on per price viewing. Just a guess..

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I wouldn’t go with ‘always’. Things change in tech world by the day. I had Sunday Ticket since ‘96, but dropped it last year and went reddit. Still a few bumps to iron out, but saw the entire games. I miss taping the games for future look backs, but I’m guessing that will be available some way soon. 

Virtually no one is having dishes installed anymore and cable subscribers are fleeing by the droves. There’s already countless ways to view programming. Just a hunch, but I think the League is creating the turmoil with DTV in an attempt at an ‘early out’ so they can begin marketing specific teams and games on per price viewing. Just a guess..

The always isn't the physical dish part -- it's the consistently reliable product part.  Until NFL streaming isn't a "pirate" activity subject to interruptions in service and a lot of other hiccups (like not being able to record), people will want Sunday Ticket.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Nothing is changing at least until end of 2022. That's a long 4 full seasons boys.

https://tvanswerman.com/2018/10/03/will-directv-lose-nfl-sunday-ticket/

Did you read this? Does not really clear the air.

The out clause is likely there. Florio is respectable, it's not something i'd think he'd make up.

The article fails to see the most obvious; The NFL can stream or sell these games on their own. Don't need to put out to bid next time around.

They don't need to do exclusives any more either. Sell it a la carte to multiple platforms. Frankly, they could start their own network now....or mega dollar streaming sources like Huluu, Netflix may now be players.

I think the NFL can make more money than what direct tv can offer.

Also, I had Direct TV and other cable providers...all of them are really the same; they treat new customers great and old customers like *****. If you threaten to leave, they will usually kiss your ass only to eventually screw you again. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 2

I've been a Directv subscriber and advocate for about 7 years, with Sunday Ticket being the primary driver.  I'm an out of market Bills fan and family commitments don't allow me to go the sports bar to watch the games like I used to.  Plus, I moved out west, so games start fairly early and I often have to record them and watch them later in the day.  Directv has always been willing, with a little effort on my part, to negotiate discounts to keep my pricing fair.  I learned about it quite a bit from this board. 

Since last summer, their customer service has been non-existent.  My discounts have all expired, the price has gone up and they are unwilling to provide any relief.  I'm not a fan of streaming (poor quality picture, intermittent feed, inability to record and watch later, violating someone's intellectual property rights, etc.), but I'm getting close to saying screw it and cutting the cord.  I hope the NFL opts out and I can get NFL package elsewhere in the near future.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Did you read this? Does not really clear the air.

The out clause is likely there. Florio is respectable, it's not something i'd think he'd make up.

The article fails to see the most obvious; The NFL can stream or sell these games on their own. Don't need to put out to bid next time around.

They don't need to do exclusives any more either. Sell it a la carte to multiple platforms. Frankly, they could start their own network now....or mega dollar streaming sources like Huluu, Netflix may now be players.

I think the NFL can make more money than what direct tv can offer.

Also, I had Direct TV and other cable providers...all of them are really the same; they treat new customers great and old customers like *****. If you threaten to leave, they will usually kiss your ass only to eventually screw you again. 

Like the NFL network or NFL.com?

3 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

The speed of 5G is going to be ridiculous and will allow it to be offered as an alternative home internet service (eliminating need for cable in the house) which will eventually allow internet streaming services like Youtube TV, sling TV, direcTV now etc... to be the primary method of TV delivery.

5G may be available in "select" cities.   There is no way the entire US will have 5G coverage for the 2019 NFL season.

Hell, I'm lucky to get 3G where I work in NoVa

Infrastructure doesn't pop up overnight 

• Like (+1) 1