DE, Brian Burns Should Be the Pick

wppete

37 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He played around 220 last year, then stacked on 20+ lbs for the combine to have decent measurables.  He's a very scary pick at #9 IMO.

Sounds like Arron Maybin,  no thanks.  Anyone can train to be draft workout warrior,  his size scares me

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Brian Burns looks like a longer version of Von Miller. His length, speed and athleticism is unreal. He has been to Buffalo for a visit already and would love to see us trade back to mid teens pick up an extra 2nd and take Burns. He is going to be a star in the NFL especially if he adds some weight. I’d draft him over Bosa and J. Allen. If we don’t draft him I hope he stays out of the AFC East. 

-Brian Burns

“I actually try to pattern my game after a lot of people. I feel like I take bits and pieces from the people I like to watch as far as Khalil MackVon MillerLeonard FloydDee Ford. There’s a lot of dudes. I just look at them. Whatever I see from their game I try to take bits and pieces and combine it to my own.”

The more I look at our pick at 9 I honestly wouldn't care, and would even prefer it if we took Burns over the likes of Metcalf, Hock, and yes, even Oliver. Taking on another potentially unpopular opinion here, while both Bosa and Allen are clear talents likely to go in the top 5, I would consider Burns to be comparable in terms of how each might perform at the next level, and would even go as far to say Burns might have a higher ceiling of potential growth. Even though his projection is in the middle of the first, I don't think a pick at 9 would constitute a reach here, but he is the lesser talked about pass rusher that I agree with OP in likening to Von Miller more so than any other true pass rusher in the draft class.

But because I'd like it to happen, it won't...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Exciting prospect and fun to watch.  Serious question for those who want him at 9....do you really see this kid as a 4-3 DE in McD’s system?  Doesn’t seem to have the prototypical size, and he beefed up to his combine weight.

Personally, I see him as a SOLB in this defense.

That's the question.  McD tends to like more size.  But Burns has plenty of frame to add mass.

He mainly played with his hand in the dirt as an end.  I love his tape.  Awesome bend off the edge.  He didn't looked undersized to my eye, I didn't see him get pushed around.

15 hours ago, wppete said:

Brian Burns looks like a longer version of Von Miller. His length, speed and athleticism is unreal. He has been to Buffalo for a visit already and would love to see us trade back to mid teens pick up an extra 2nd and take Burns. He is going to be a star in the NFL especially if he adds some weight. I’d draft him over Bosa and J. Allen. If we don’t draft him I hope he stays out of the AFC East. 

-Brian Burns

“I actually try to pattern my game after a lot of people. I feel like I take bits and pieces from the people I like to watch as far as Khalil MackVon MillerLeonard FloydDee Ford. There’s a lot of dudes. I just look at them. Whatever I see from their game I try to take bits and pieces and combine it to my own.”

Coming from a huge FSU fan here I am rooting for the kid and your assessment is half right. I don't agree on Bosa, I think hes going to be an absolute stud. Burns disappeared in big games against very good talent. It will take him a few years to gain that weight and learn to use it properly. 

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Compared to both Von Miller and Aaron Maybin in the same thread...not sure what to believe!?

Well, we did have a 100-page thread where people wouldn't stop comparing Miller to Maybin back in 2011, so this isn't surprising.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, wppete said:

-Brian Burns

He’s more like Aaron Maybin than Von Miller

A Florida State pass rusher in the 1st Round?

I'm sure you're a great person but I'd fire you immediately as GM.  ?

Outside of Peter Boulware who flourished in a compltely different position, no pass rusher drafted in the 1st round out of FSU has ever been a success.  

I don't know why that is but there's a long history of FSU failure of edge pass rushers.

Edited by dpberr

I don't like that half his highlights were when he didn't get blocked at all, or against a tightend/runningback. The other half were one-on-one vs slow looking tackles. Although, he did flash some moves when blocked.

Just felt like opposing teams didn't care enough about Burns to game-plan blocks to stop him. Especially concerned about teams leaving him unblocked on runs to the other side and watching him not pursue from the backside.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He’s a risky pick in the top 15.  He could turn out to be one of the best players in the draft, but he could just as easily be swallowed up by NFL tackles if he’s not committed to getting stronger and keeping on weight.  

So good pick at 16, bad pick at 15?

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think that's a great question, but I have to say I'd rather have Oliver and Ferguson.

Well. I guess I should have said Oliver. But I don’t think the 2 together are possible without giving up a lot of capital. Wilkins and Ferguson works because you could trade back and pick up an extra 2nd rounder and maybe more by moving back to the mid teens. Oliver won’t be there by then. And Ferguson won’t be there in the 2nd round most likely. At least not at 40. Maybe he slides to the beginning of the 2nd and you only have to give up a 4th and maybe a 5th along with 40 to move up to grab him. But I doubt it. 

Besides, I don’t like Oliver 

17 hours ago, quincy said:

I have wanted him to be the Bills first round choice for 3 weeks or so now. He has had three solid years at Florida State and will only turn 21 next Tuesday (23 April).

If Buffalo can manoeuvre a small trade down and net a further 2nd round pick, my ideal scenario would be Burns, Metcalf/Hockenson/Jacobs (have to get an offensive playmaker and sacrifice the extra 2nd round pick received) and then Irv Smith Jr (he could be available in the mid-lower second round and justify another small trade down).

Fourth pick will then be a DT or assuming Jachai Polite is still sliding I'd choose him, he is a disruptor causing fumbles off the edge. I would be ok with Renell Wren or Khalen Saunders as a mid round DT choice. Burns and Polite would leave the Bills in a good position if Lawson, Hughes or Murphy are not retained/extended. 

I have confidence that Jordan Phillips will be motivated and will be a decent placeholder 3 technique. 

UGH! Lotulelei and Phillips starting at DT all year? Now there's a recipe for disaster. We'd be one of the worst teams in the NFL against the run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

UGH! Lotulelei and Phillips starting at DT all year? Now there's a recipe for disaster. We'd be one of the worst teams in the NFL against the run.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Think this regime has confidence in Harrison Phillips.... didn't really see much of anything from him last season.

I’m more comfortable with our DT group (Star, Harrison, Jordan Phillips) than I am with our DE group (Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Yarborough).  Both position groups need bolstering regardless.  I’m going with 4-3 DE if it’s BOA at 9 unless somehow Williams or Oliver are there.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm not confident in either to be honest. 

Same. I won't get into Star, but Harry showed very little and Phillips is not an impact player. Hughes is very good, but he's getting up there. Murphy is always hurt, Lawson doesn't get to the QB, and Eddie is JAG. 

Gotta address the DL.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Exciting prospect and fun to watch.  Serious question for those who want him at 9....do you really see this kid as a 4-3 DE in McD’s system?  Doesn’t seem to have the prototypical size, and he beefed up to his combine weight.

Personally, I see him as a SOLB in this defense.

At 9 he is a initially a DPR (50% snap count in Nickel +, opposite Hughes in pass rush situations) who is a future Lorax, A. Barr type SLB (he showed stand up coverage ability at the combine in the OLB drills as a zone drop defender, natural and smooth movement skills, made a nice athletic INT play during drills) who can or does drop down to DPR/DE in rush situations. He initially allows for Shaq to drop inside to DT (where he is a better pass rusher)and have a NASCAR like rush package, balances (opposite Hughes) and helps diversify the front now and into the future, providing an spark to the pass rush which is needed for immediate team success.

If he can add more functional weight and strength in addition to what he did at the combine, I believe down the road he could be a full time DE, but not initially, and more likely a hybrid player long term. Nickel is the new base, Burns affects passing attacks.

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Aaron Maybin ,  sorry no thanks

Burns only similarities to Maybin pass rush wise is Burns playing at a lower weight in college, unlike Maybin however, Burns put weight on and did not lose his athleticism, in fact his combine numbers at a higher weight were “Von Mlleresque”. Burns ability to change directions and bend agility wise at 249 pounds are superior to anything Maybin could ever do, Maybin was a pure straight line and pray speed rusher, and only at 230 pounds, he had no counters, no hand moves, and no ability to change directions or vary his pass rush, literally a one trick pony. Burns however has a counter jab or inside side step, and spin that are affective and uses them by design, while maintaining elite balance and body control, allowing him to get to scrambling QBs and run them down and finish, Maybin never had, nor developed these abilities. Burns has Maybins collegiate first step, pure upfield speed and that is the last of their similarities rushing the passer, that is the only redeeming quality for Maybin, only Burns can turn the corner and finish, another thing athletically Maybin could not do as Burns ability to dip balance and flatten, and feet are better. Burns also uses his hands much more effectively than Maybin ever did, he has improved every year in this ability, has improved his versatility as a football player every year as well and is still an actively ascending talent. Something Maybin never did in college and was not in the pros, Burns is vastly superior to Maybin in not only rushing the passer but as a college player who is interested into developing as a professional football player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’m more comfortable with our DT group (Star, Harrison, Jordan Phillips) than I am with our DE group (Hughes, Murphy, Lawson, Yarborough).  Both position groups need bolstering regardless.  I’m going with 4-3 DE if it’s BOA at 9 unless somehow Williams or Oliver are there.

In theory, you could draft Burns to play at DE and then move Shaquille inside in the DT rotation.