DE, Brian Burns Should Be the Pick

wppete

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

So you really believe he is one of the top 9 players in the draft?  Interesting.

He’s probably top 20 easily. Could be around 15 or so. But if he’s your guy, don’t okay around. Just get him 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills were 26th in sacks last year.

I don't believe Lawson will be re-signed. Even if he is, he's nothing more than an edge setter in the run game and a 5 sack per year kind of guy.

Hughes will be 31 at the end of this season. How much longer does he have? And does it make sense for such a young team to give a big contract to a guy whose best days may be behind him?

That leaves the Bills next season with Murphy and MAYBE an aging Hughes. The lack of pass rushing productivity last year combined with the contract situations of the edge players on the Bills roster makes an edge player a big need. You may be right that he'd only see the field on certain downs this season. The selection of such a player would be more about NEXT season and the seasons to come. 

At the end of the day, McDermott and Beane have yet to commit ANY draft resources at the edge position. That's crazy. It's ESPECIALLY crazy for a guy like McDermott, who doesn't like to call many blitzes and who relies on his front four to get pressure. As good as McD's Bills defenses have been at times, just imagine how dominant they could be if they could actually pressure and sack the opposing QB on a more consistent basis!

Very logical. 

Let’s NOT forget how bad our offense was last year , ( one of the worst) now this is just my opinion but I say OL is still at play if J Taylor is there at 9 , 

if not we NEED a weapon on offense, if Honck is the guy that can help Allen and create mismatches/headache for a defense then get him , ( yes at 9 ) we have to get better on offense it will also help our defense if we’re able  to move the chains , 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Burns but his play weight concerns the hell out of me.  I believe he was playing at 231 last yr. I seen him on NFL network and the dude is very thin.  I realize Von Miller was somewhat the same size coming out but if u take another look Von is 6'2 and Burns 6'5 there lower bodies look completely different.  I want my pass rusher to be thick in legs and backside. Burns is very talented but we need to be careful with guys like these.  Btw Von Miller is the exception not the rule of great pass rushers.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have wanted him to be the Bills first round choice for 3 weeks or so now. He has had three solid years at Florida State and will only turn 21 next Tuesday (23 April).

If Buffalo can manoeuvre a small trade down and net a further 2nd round pick, my ideal scenario would be Burns, Metcalf/Hockenson/Jacobs (have to get an offensive playmaker and sacrifice the extra 2nd round pick received) and then Irv Smith Jr (he could be available in the mid-lower second round and justify another small trade down).

Fourth pick will then be a DT or assuming Jachai Polite is still sliding I'd choose him, he is a disruptor causing fumbles off the edge. I would be ok with Renell Wren or Khalen Saunders as a mid round DT choice. Burns and Polite would leave the Bills in a good position if Lawson, Hughes or Murphy are not retained/extended. 

I have confidence that Jordan Phillips will be motivated and will be a decent placeholder 3 technique. 

5 hours ago, mrags said:

I look at it this way.

Would you rather have Burns at DE and Tillery or Simmons at DT?

Or

Wilkins or Ed Oliver at DT and Ferguson at DE?

I think that's a great question, but I have to say I'd rather have Oliver and Ferguson.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

I know I’m in the minority but I’d draft Burns as a SAM LB and 3rd down DE. We need a replacement for Zo. 

He has almost the exact height/weight as Edmunds did and it takes him away from the wash a bit more.

I also think he more than showed ay the combine that he is very comfortable in a 2 point stance and dropping into coverage

• Like (+1) 1

This whole situation is obvious. We need defensive players that can stop people right now. Last year, several marginal running backs looked like Barry Sanders against us, and we need to get to the passer. I do not see any improvement from Lawson. Hughes is still very effective. Lawson, Murphy and Lorax need to be replaced...they simply are not good enough.

The verdict will be out on Edmunds as a ILB as well. His natural position is the outside. 

Burns has the electricity that this team needs. I remember the Maybin pick. The climate in Buffalo at the time was "Do not draft Maybin"...yet they did anyway. We all knew he was a bust...real strong visceral feeling. I do not have that feeling with Burns.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

So, in that case, Jerry Hughes is Maybin as well? 

People are just traumatized from Maybin.  Many people (atleast on bbmb not sure about here) were saying they didnt want von miller when he was coming out bc he was Maybin

I feel the Bills wanted Von Miller..he was their first choice. In 2007, Patrick Willis may have been their first choice...San Fran scooped him up. I have a good feeling about Burns. This kid is dedicated to his game.

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Are we going to see a thread like this for every possible pick the Bills could make in the first round.  I think we've seen threads for most of them already.

Well if somebody here thinks hes worth the pick at 9 why not? Unless we're only going off your big board

Edited by BillsMafia13
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why now?  We will most likely re-sign Hughes and could very well re-sign Lawson?  Why spend a top 10 pick on a guy that may not even start?

I think he could be better than Lawson, but then what do you do with him?  

If he played edge and rotated with Lorax, okay.  I just don’t see how it works for that high of a pick. 

But please educate me 

He would be a day one starter right off the bus.