Schedule Analysis

corta765

If you listen to HR 3 of the John Murphy show yesterday, they had one of the actual schedule makers on. They said either the Dolphins or Bills were going to play on thanksgiving, and which ever one didn't get the Thanksgiving game, would get a Monday night football game instead. Apparently the Pegulas were more excited about playing on thanksgiving anyways. Not that they had a choice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

The Bills play 7 of their 1st 8 games in New York State.  Short trips and more preparation time!  I realize NYC is different that Buffalo but it still has the same Governor !!!

Ah yes, the Garden State which includes WNY...oh wait, what? :P

but in in all seriousness, close enough, and your overall point still stands about the short trips. I guess if we were going to be stuck with 2 road trips to start the year, this was the best draw for us!

On 4/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, Foxx said:

which is a direct correlation to the product on the field. the Bills improve and we will be clamoring for those late season games in OP for the home field advantage that it gives us.

I had seasons and in no way ever wanted 3 DEC homes games. I had to give up my MIA game in 2016 because of the holiday. I will take 6 home games before Thanksgiving for the rest of time.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, metzelaars_lives said:

How much did our renovation cost?  And are you suggesting that if not for the renovation, the Chiefs might not be as appealing a prime time attraction?

$120 million. It was a 1/5 of KC's cost and originally back when the lease/reno was discussed the goal was to do a Chiefs reno but at the time without ownership certainty with the NFL pushing for a new stadium a band aid was used not the full surgery which truthfully should've been done. Had the Pegula's owned the team before the most recent renovation I think the Bills would've done a full reno and that would be that.

The Chiefs have been a far more consistent winning product so that certainly helps. But yes the NFL likes having stadiums to show off and open larger revenue streams. Sal C of WGR 550 has said how much of a pain the Bills stadium is to setup for night time home games because of how old the infrastructure is. That in itself makes it a hard sell for a team that has been irrelevant for 20 years. Additionally at least with Ralph/Russ Brandon at the end the Bills asked for 1pm games and tried avoiding night games because of their fanbase that drives in. I believe the Pegula's have pivoted from that and the fact the last two night games have went on without any issue that helps to make night games not as scary. That Dolphins TNF in 2013 was a mess like 3 people died etc..

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

$120 million. It was a 1/5 of KC's cost and originally back when the lease/reno was discussed the goal was to do a Chiefs reno but at the time without ownership certainty with the NFL pushing for a new stadium a band aid was used not the full surgery which truthfully should've been done. Had the Pegula's owned the team before the most recent renovation I think the Bills would've done a full reno and that would be that.

The Chiefs have been a far more consistent winning product so that certainly helps. But yes the NFL likes having stadiums to show off and open larger revenue streams. Sal C of WGR 550 has said how much of a pain the Bills stadium is to setup for night time home games because of how old the infrastructure is. That in itself makes it a hard sell for a team that has been irrelevant for 20 years. Additionally at least with Ralph/Russ Brandon at the end the Bills asked for 1pm games and tried avoiding night games because of their fanbase that drives in. I believe the Pegula's have pivoted from that and the fact the last two night games have went on without any issue that helps to make night games not as scary. That Dolphins TNF in 2013 was a mess like 3 people died etc..

I don't disagree with much here but the dude who died after the Bills game because he got bombed and fell in a creek has absolutely nothing to do with how fancy our stadium is.  I can assure you that if Josh Allen turns into Mahomes and the Bills go 12-4 this year and make noise in the playoffs, that the NFL will be thrilled to give the Bills plenty of prime time games going forward.  Everyone agrees that the NFL is better when rust belt teams with dedicated, long-suffering fanbases are competitive.  Just look at the Browns.  It's way more interesting that the Browns have this buzz surrounding them than it would be if, say, the Cowboys did.  And I can assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with their stadium.

31 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I don't disagree with much here but the dude who died after the Bills game because he got bombed and fell in a creek has absolutely nothing to do with how fancy our stadium is.  I can assure you that if Josh Allen turns into Mahomes and the Bills go 12-4 this year and make noise in the playoffs, that the NFL will be thrilled to give the Bills plenty of prime time games going forward.  Everyone agrees that the NFL is better when rust belt teams with dedicated, long-suffering fanbases are competitive.  Just look at the Browns.  It's way more interesting that the Browns have this buzz surrounding them than it would be if, say, the Cowboys did.  And I can assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with their stadium.

The point was more that for primetime TV you don't want the top headlines reading that people are dying out of stupidity. My understanding is that was part of why it took a bit for Buffalo to get a game after 2012. The Patriots actually were not on TV for a long time until Kraft took over due to some really bad stuff happening during their night games.

And yea winning cures all with the NFL. If the Bills win everything falls in step with that. I would be curious to see though if the Bills do ask the NFL for 1pm games like they did in the past