Why didnt we sign WR Tanner Gentry?

19 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Umm no. Phelan went out of the NFL years before because of a knee injury:)

Fair enough. I just dont know enough about his game. Looks like he was good at coming down with what Allen threw at him - but maybe it wont translate in today's NFL.

He was good at contested catches agaisnt inferior cornerbacks in the MWC

its really hard to translate that to the NFL... if he Was a FA I would consider him for a futures deal

he is like Brandon Reilly with better hands... but slower

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wonder what his go to WR from high school is up to?  Maybe we can find a spot for his best friend too?

Poor kid is driving for Uber in Firebaugh. All that talent wasted. WTH is Beane doing?

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wonder what his go to WR from high school is up to?  Maybe we can find a spot for his best friend too?

I don't think Sam Darnold plays WR.  But you never know!

giphy.gif

Edited by berg1029

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Since all our eggs are in the Josh Allen basket, wouldnt Gentry have made the transition easier? 

I don't see why that would be true. It's the same logic as people who said Marrone should draft Nassib because he and Hackett were already familiar with him and he "knew the system."

Maybe Allen and Gentry were a good combo in college, but they'll be facing NFL-caliber DBs, so it's unlikely that a first round QB will really get help from an undrafted WR.

7 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He probably played catch with his brother.  Surely, we could find a spot on the roster for him.

25 minutes ago, McBean said:

Yeah let’s sign Gentry who hasn’t done **** in the league, and forget all about how we signed Beasley.

The draft needs to hurry the hell up. This place has gone mad. 

I am not talking post March 13 2019 dude. I am happy with the WRs we got in free agency. Just was wondering why we did  not give Gentry a shot last season. We did not have Beasley or Brown and Foster had not emerged yet.

12 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

There are reasons he wasn't drafted.  This is the NFL not Wyoming School of Mines, for one.

If not being drafted was the sole criterion, we wouldnt be excited about Foster, right?

Remember, it is not like this guy is horrible. He is NFL caliber. As I said in my op, he was on a playoff team's active roster. And was resigned again this year by the same team with a more lucrative contract than what we gave Duke Williams. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

On 4/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, longtimebillsfan said:

Most likely because he had his college success against Mountain West competition.  Let's let him prove he can play in the NFL before we name him Allen's go to receiver.

What's the harm in bringing Gentry in and giving him a try out?  You never know.  If it works out, great.  If not, no big deal.