Why didnt we sign WR Tanner Gentry?

1 hour ago, gregor7777 said:

What's DaRick up to these days?

Probably running routes for Brian Brohm

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wonder what his go to WR from high school is up to?  Maybe we can find a spot for his best friend too?

Hey, lets sign Allen's Brother! He is a big dude who I am sure also looks good in shorts. He was also Josh's TE in high school!

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because he is slow and doesn’t get great separation 

he isnt NFL caliber... last year he would be behind Zay, foster, KB, McKenzie, Holmes when he was here... he woulda been behind all them

Buff - Thanks for the response. He has been good enough to sign two reserve/future contracts and make the active roster with an NFL playoff team. We cant say that he was not good enough for a Bills team with arguably the worst WR corps in the league last year. 

That said, I do not disagree that this was not a Donovan McNabb-Marvin Harrison or Pennington - Moss college duo. I am not implying that Gentry is going to turn Allen into a Manning. Just wondering why not try him out to see if he clicks? Since all our eggs are in the Josh Allen basket, wouldnt Gentry have made the transition easier? 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

9 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Buff - Thanks for the response. He has been good enough to sign two reserve/future contracts and make the active roster with an NFL playoff team. We cant say that he was not good enough for a Bills team with arguably the worst WR corps in the league last year. 

That said, I do not disagree that this was not a Donovan McNabb-Marvin Harrison or Pennington - Moss college duo. I am not implying that Gentry is going to turn Allen into a Manning. Just wondering why not try him out to see if he clicks? Since all our eggs are in the Josh Allen basket, wouldnt Gentry have made the transition easier? 

He has some traits that are good that has kept him under contract the last 2 years... he has solid hands and a good work ethic but so do 500 pros

The cream always rises in the NFL and he just hasn’t... I think he is a 5th option but at that spot I’d rather have some physical talent

His and Joshs chemistry is a + , but tanners NFL game is old school ... his game might of worked in 1996

Edited by Buffalo716

They bring 12 or more WRs to camp every year.  They were plucking guys off the street at times last year during the season.  Gentry was on the Bears practice squad then and had played well in the preseason for them so I do not think it was or is bad idea to see what he can do here.  Maybe he makes our practice squad, someone has to.  I bet he knows where to go when Josh breaks the pocket, it seems like he caught a bunch of those in 2016.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I know many of you will say Gentry who? But please do hear me out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_Gentry

Gentry was Josh Allen's go to guy at Wyoming in the 2016 season. He had 1326 yards that season likely obliterating the school record. With him in the roster, Allen threw for 3200 yards. Without him (and a couple of others), Allen threw for 1812 yards in 2017.  Clearly he had a connection with Allen.

With respect to his NFL career, he was an UDFA who latched on to the Bears. He was on their practice squad most of the time before being signed to a reserve / future contract in January 2019. 

Given we were so starved for receivers last season (and pretty much till March 13 this off-season), I am wondering why Beane did not consider signing Gentry. I believe it would have Allen's transition so much easier.

Go pay your bills

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Same reason we didn't sign Gerard Phelen when Flutie was here.   

Umm no. Phelan went out of the NFL years before because of a knee injury:)

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has some traits that are good that has kept him under contract the last 2 years... he has solid hands and a good work ethic but so do 500 pros

The cream always rises in the NFL and he just hasn’t... I think he is a 5th option but at that spot I’d rather have some physical talent

His and Joshs chemistry is a + , but tanners NFL game is old school ... his game might of worked in 1996

Fair enough. I just dont know enough about his game. Looks like he was good at coming down with what Allen threw at him - but maybe it wont translate in today's NFL.