Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

3 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Metcalf will be a Bust, Bills will trade down and select Rashan Gary DT and then trade up and select OT Kaleb McGary. Both were at One Bills drive for multiple visits.

Multiple visits? I only see one for Gary, and McGary didn’t visit. They worked him out at his school to my knowledge. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Hmm, why would a team with zero offensive weapons consider drafting the top WR in the draft, a guy from a major program, with an NFL pedigree, who is 6’4” and runs a sub-4.4 40? I would be outraged!?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Hmm, why would a team with zero offensive weapons consider drafting the top WR in the draft, a guy from a major program, with an NFL pedigree, who is 6’4” and runs a sub-4.4 40? I would be outraged!?

So, you want the Bills to be able to SCORE points, but not be able to stop the OTHER team from scoring (26th in sacks last year, several games where they got gashed by a running back; see Leonard Fournette and Marlon Mack)?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

So, you want the Bills to be able to SCORE points, but not be able to stop the OTHER team from scoring (26th in sacks last year, several games where they got gashed by a running back; see Leonard Fournette and Marlon Mack)?

Is this a bit that you're doing? Because it feels a lot like a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

But that is the profile this front office has targeted. Allen and Edmunds are both in the same mold as DK.

Yeah and the fact that McDermott is a first time HC who is so zealous about the efficacy of his process it wouldn't be surprising that he would be a guy who thinks he can "coach up" physically gifted but raw players.

The fact that Allen and Edmunds didn't fall flat on their faces during a difficult season last year would probably only strengthen that belief.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Is this a bit that you're doing? Because it feels a lot like a bit.

I just don't understand why people think that having TJ Hockenson or DK Metcalf on the roster will suddenly mean that they'll score 40+ points per game, while they ignore how concerning the pass rush and run defense was last year.

What was a major factor in the Pats winning the Super Bowl?  Their ability to pressure Jared Goff.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I could see him falling past 15 but I'd be really surprised if he falls out of the 1st entirely. A physical freak with NFL pedigree. The NFL falls in love with prospects like that. I'd say the only thing holding him back from being a definite top 10 pick is his injury history.

I think there’s a good chance Metcalf doesn’t make it to 9.  Despite what some think, WR is a premium position in this passing league, and Metcalf has by far the greatest upside of any offensive skill player in this draft.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is one way to look at it but it’s fair to question that they might have different profiles at different positions. It’s my hunch that they prefer a more polished, well rounded player at WR than a physical freak who needs time and molding. Thinking about a skill position like CB where McD took Tre White - not a physical specimen but 4 year starter, captain, pro ready, sound technique. I see this as their WR type.  We will see though.

That's the biggest strike I see against the Bills taking Metcalf at #9.    They can't wait for him to become a NFL WR.   They need instant production and an immediate difference maker, as the pressure to make the playoffs will be intense.    

If it's not DL (or a trade down if the guy they want at nine is gone), I'll eat my hat...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Nice. Can Hockenson play DE or 3-technique DT, in addition to being a TE?

I agree. Who is minding the store when teams run the ball down our throats? Can a TE get after the QB? The Bills need an immediate infusion of impact defensive players. 

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is one way to look at it but it’s fair to question that they might have different profiles at different positions. It’s my hunch that they prefer a more polished, well rounded player at WR than a physical freak who needs time and molding. Thinking about a skill position like CB where McD took Tre White - not a physical specimen but 4 year starter, captain, pro ready, sound technique. I see this as their WR type.  We will see though.

The other way to look at it is they went with the boom-bust home run swings last year, and this year they are going more conservative with their initial picks to help stabilize things

10 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Nice. Can Hockenson play DE or 3-technique DT, in addition to being a TE?

Can Ed Oliver play wr?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would separate Edmunds from Allen and DK.

Yeah Edmunds has a higher floor as an off-ball LB..........but that's also a lower tier positional value.

At his most valuable position IMO........a pass rushing edge prospect........he was a lot more like Allen and DK......a projection.(I still think he ends up outside eventually)

5 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Metcalf is built like a muscle monster and should have dominated college. He does not run good routes and will be another Kelvin Benjamin. No way they are taking that.

Go back and look at the routes Randy Moss ran at Marshall. The routes he ran at Minnesota with Cris Carter. I'm not saying DK is Randy Moss, but he's Moss like.

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

But that is the profile this front office has targeted. Allen and Edmunds are both in the same mold as DK.

Is Metcalfs floor that low?  He could be a #1 wr or a much larger Jon Brown.