Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Of course there's an argument that he could be BPA at 9. He's a generational athlete at a position of need whose comps are some of the best WRs of the past few decades (if not ever) -- that is the argument. 

While none of your points above are really wrong, they're also not necessarily the point, and I think that's the biggest thing that Metcalf deniers are missing. Not every WR needs to be a blur when it comes to short area quickness. Not every WR is going to win with precise routes. A guy built like Mecole Hardman is going to have a natural advantage in the agility game, just like a motorcycle is going to be more agile than a mack truck -- that doesn't mean that the motorcycle can't be more effective in certain things.  DK Metcalf wasn't ever going to be a jitterbug, but if you watch his film, look at his makeup (height/weight/bulk/strength/wingspan) and how he uses those to his advantage, he doesn't need to. As others have posted, we wouldn't be asking him to run the same routes as, say, Cole Beasley, and that's okay. 

To your point about not being the best player on his team, that's also not really the point -- firstly, he was every bit as good as Brown when he was on the field, secondly he fits the type of player we need far better than Brown. 

Everyone has their own opinions on the draft and its prospects, that's what makes it so much fun, but to say that DK Metcalf doesn't have star potential or that "there's just no argument that dk could be bpa at no. 9....none" is peak silliness. It may end being Oliver (size), Sweat (still developing as a pass-rusher), Taylor (can he transition to LT?), Hock (value of drafting TE at 9?), Burns (size), or (god help us...) Gary (unproven at his projected position) but each of these guys have as many question marks as DK Metcalf.

agree to disagree , but imo bpa at the biggest need trumps bpa at any position. i don't buy the coach speak crap. if we have a chance at q. willliams or oliver at no. 9. there's no way of justifying dk being bpa. tha'ts a steaming load.

is he considered the best wr in this draft?

Edited by billsredneck1

5 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

agree to disagree , but imo bpa at the biggest need trumps bpa at any position. i don't buy the coach speak crap. if we have a chance at q. willliams or oliver at no. 9. there's no way of justifying dk being bpa. tha'ts a steaming load.

I suspect he will be the first wr selected. I don’t think that necessarily means he’s the best at this point, but that his ceiling is so much higher than anybody else’s. 

• Like (+1) 2

I gotta ask the draft gurus out there, but what's the difference between Metcalf and former third round pick Chris Conley? I know DK is about ten pounds heavier. Conley had better college production, a better vertical, 4.35 40, great three cone. Both had some inconsistencies in their game. I thought it was funny when DK said the league has never seen anybody like him, and I immediately thought of Conley. I'm just wondering what makes 1 a top ten pick and the other a third rounder? It's not like that 2015 class had a bunch of unbelievable receievers in it. In fact that draft kind of sucked overall. 

I liked Conley in free agency and I think Metcalf is interesting, I just want to know what the difference is. I'm a line guy so I need some help from my skill people. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

And all conjecture and conveniently leaving out facts.

People on this board like to think that this is a generational D because it "ranked" well the last 2 years in the NFL based on yards per game. I saw a capable, well schemed and opportunistic secondary (which is really just Hyde, White and Poyer to a degree), 2 average LBs and a DL that is unable to apply pressure on a QB. When our D needs to get a stop it can't and has been this way for years. Brady tears us apart because we cannot generate pressure upfront. 

No one is leaving out facts...We watch the games too...We know...

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely understand the Bills need to improve on D...Especially on the D-Line...No question...

This was more about a response to a poster who was going completely over the top about Drafting D for need...And while I understand the Bills D needs to improve, I also think it's a bit of a stretch to assume a massive fallout without a D-Lineman at #9...And especially considering I'm assuming the names the Bills will have to choose from will be Burns, Wilkins, and Sweat not Q Williams and Bosa...The only wildcard IMHO is Ed Oliver...I still think he goes top 8, but if the Bills were to take him over Metcalf I would understand...?

• Like (+1) 3

Per the bold from a paragraph in the article, if Stephen Wright needs to ask where folks might think his slow agility times might translate to the field, I have to question his credibility. Especially because in the sentence immediately preceding that, he says he “gets the concerns.” 

I think he's saying other high profile players in the league had slow agility times that didn't translate to their performance on the field.

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

so he's a physical freak. however scouting reports that exclaim his 40 time, also point out it's straight line speed. i've not heard anyone gush over his route tree or route running.  he wasn't even the best receiver on his team.

i'm not putting him down, but at no.9 you need a star at a position of need.  the hole kyle left leaves us wide open to have our defense  be the side of the ball to drag us down record wise.  there's no way in hell that drafting dk is gonna cover that up.

i would rather they get a couple of difference makers on the dline. if we ignore that hole on d, we could end up going 8-8 with a top ten offense.  omg, flashback!...25 years worth!

i will absolutely trust their decisions, but there's just no argument that dk could be bpa at no. 9....none

Except there is by many people.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

Yes he is, by very many.

You are delusional if you don't think he's the #1 rated wr by many, since a simple Google search will tell you this.

@K-9 and I don't agree with our own views on Metcalf, but even he is willing to concede that many feel he is.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes he is, by very many.

You are delusional if you don't think he's the #1 rated wr by many, since a simple Google search will tell you this.

@K-9 and I don't agree with our own views on Metcalf, but even he is willing to concede that many feel he is.

I have it on good authority that we're going to draft him and play him at cb.

• Haha (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes he is, by very many.

I think we generally agree on Metcalf. We disagree on Calvin Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I gotta ask the draft gurus out there, but what's the difference between Metcalf and former third round pick Chris Conley? I know DK is about ten pounds heavier. Conley had better college production, a better vertical, 4.35 40, great three cone. Both had some inconsistencies in their game. I thought it was funny when DK said the league has never seen anybody like him, and I immediately thought of Conley.

Well, Metcalf is 6'5 237 and Conley is 6'3 205. Metcalf is an absolute freak. Conley was a combine warrior for sure, but I think DK's size and speed are as rare as it gets. I also like the bloodlines.

I personally wouldn't hate the pick at all. 

• Like (+1) 6

15 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Fair enough that you don't buy the coach speak. But they mean it. And surely even you feel that what Beane and McDermott want is more important than what you want, or what I want or what anyone on here wants.

And there's no such thing, really, as BPA at the biggest need. That's just called drafting for need. BPA and drafting for need are opposites.

On the other hand, nobody drafts strict BPA with zero considerations for need. We wouldn't draft a QB if he were BPA in the first. And need factors into the grades. Beane has said that we wouldn't rate some guys as high as a team with a 3-4 defense would. Exactly. It ain't 100% pure BPA. If the need-free BPA were a 3-4 DE, he wouldn't be our BPA.

Nobody drafts 100% for need. But Beane and McDermott feel, absolutely correctly, that drafting 100% for need pretty much guarantees that you won't draft very well. They seem to be an awful lot closer to BPA than to drafting for need.

And yeah, Metcalf does seem to be the highest rated WR in this draft, for most. Brandt has him #1:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026448/article/hot-150-gil-brandts-topranked-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft

Here's a couple of others, but there are a lot:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

https://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2019.asp

Jeremiah disagrees, though. But who's the best WR is beside Beane's point. Who's the best player who would fit the system with maybe a few positions thrown out for lack of need, such as center and QB ... that would seem to be more of how Beane works.

I wouldn't mind if they pick him, though my guess is they won't. But if they do, it'll be because they thought he was BPA where they picked him.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, the skycap said:

I think he's saying other high profile players in the league had slow agility times that didn't translate to their performance on the field.

..pretty much what DelRio (FWIW) said on NFLN.......pics/physique & combine are overshadowing his actual ability as a top flight WR..........

Did not read back on all pages to see if anyone actually listened to the pod...But I took the time this afternoon to do exactly that...

First part that was interesting...They actually mocked DK to the Giants at #6...Part of that was due to Benoit suggesting WR for pretty much EVERY team from #1 overall on (and I'm not kidding...He really did not know a ton about DK...It was more about his perceived team needs...But good grief...)...I think Gramling just got tired of hearing him suggest WR for every team and finally allowed DK to be mocked to NY at #6...

Anyway...When he got to the Bills pick Gramling stopped...Stated very matter of fact the Bills are going to take DK..."That's all...that's all I want to say"..."It's not only about the need"...He cited the Jonathan Jones SI article (Benoit comments that there is a Carolina connection to Jones...Ex Charlotte Observer writer) and says DK is "this reserved, devoutly religious guy, and he very much fits into that culture they have there..."

I obviously have no idea...But it certainly sounded like Gramling knew/was told something...I listened to the mock from 1-9 and the Bills are the only team he made that type of statement about...?

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I gotta ask the draft gurus out there, but what's the difference between Metcalf and former third round pick Chris Conley? I know DK is about ten pounds heavier. Conley had better college production, a better vertical, 4.35 40, great three cone. Both had some inconsistencies in their game. I thought it was funny when DK said the league has never seen anybody like him, and I immediately thought of Conley. I'm just wondering what makes 1 a top ten pick and the other a third rounder? It's not like that 2015 class had a bunch of unbelievable receievers in it. In fact that draft kind of sucked overall. 

I liked Conley in free agency and I think Metcalf is interesting, I just want to know what the difference is. I'm a line guy so I need some help from my skill people. 

I would say the biggest difference is college production. They are both physical freaks (Metcalf more so, 10lbs is a huge difference), Metcalf was dominating before getting injured this year. He was on pace for 1100+ yards before the injury. Conley was below 675 after a full season.

Conley got over 70 yards once his final season. Metcalf was over 80 in 5 of the 6 games he played.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm going to say something for Metcalf that is similar to what I said in the Brian Burns thread:

If Metcalf is the pick at 9, he'd better have AT LEAST 1,000 receiving yards and AT LEAST 15 TDs by the end of the season to justify his selection.

Edited by Cornette's Commentary
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I'm going to say something for Metcalf that is similar to what I said in the Brian Burns thread:

If Metcalf is the pick at 9, he'd better have AT LEAST 1,000 receiving yards and AT LEAST 15 TDs by the end of the season to justify his selection.

If he doesn't McBeane should be fired.

29 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Damn Cornette!!! Julio Jones didn't reach those numbers and he went 6th in the draft.