Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

6 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...You seem to be assuming the #3 Defense in the league last year and the #2 passing D is going to have some kind of massive drop-off because they lost a DT who was definitely a good player, but well past his prime...Despite adding some REAL nice depth at CB already as well...And 9 picks after #9 to help fill the holes...

Yes the Bills need to upgrade their D-line...But they are not building for 2019 alone in this Draft...They are trying to build a Championship calibre team...And you don't do that by passing better players for need...If the player and need line up...Then great...So...If Bosa or Williams slide and they still take DK, I think you'll have a legit point...

We were #26 in sacks and 27 in yards lost on sacks.

We were #17 in rushing D and 23 in rushing yards/attempt

We gave up the 8th most rushing TDs and 1st downs by rushing

We were #1 in the fewest 1st downs by passing and in passing yards given up (minus sack yardage)

We were #8 in INTs

We are #9 in % of drives ending in a TO

We are not the 85 bears and have lots of room to improve on our Defense. We survive on creating turnovers and having a good secondary

16 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

if Bills fans would simply concede DK is a real, legit possibility at #9...?

That would be an overdraft, his floor pushes him down to the board. As you get close to 14ish, that is when you can see him go based on his ceiling and a team more willing to take a risk on his floor. JMO of course

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that had the following players on his defense that combined for over 40 sacks last season:
- Dee Ford
- Justin Houston
- Chris Jones
- Allen Bailey

And apparently the Chiefs attributed so much of their success to those players that only one of them is currently on their roster, and he's slated to be an UFA next offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

It definitely seemed that way in 2018, BUT it also appeared that they realized their mistake half way through the year, and then they were scrambling the rest of the year to find WRs with speed that could play.  Also, signing 2 free agent WRs showed that they realized they under-emphasized the WR position.  Who knows?

They will go BPA.  That will not likely be Hockenson at 9.  There will be too many players that I think will grade above him that will be roster upgrades from what I have seen.  I do believe we take a TE early but at nine we take a trench guy.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Are you under the impression that I somehow don’t like Metcalf as a prospect? Well, I do. 

What i don’t agree with are the comparisons to Calvin Johnson and the suggestion that Johnson was somehow limited in his route running ability so we shouldn’t be concerned about that in Metcalf. 

Other than size and speed, there are no comparisons to Johnson coming out of college. 

Size and speed are a pretty valid comparison at the WR position.

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Size and speed are a pretty valid comparison at the WR position.

Not saying they aren’t valid. Just saying those are the only comparisons to be made coming out of college. 

I just think there are better options later in the draft.  With Metcalf, it's all about drafting projection.   He was not uber productive in college.  He has route-running issues.  

I'd rather take DL at 9, and go with someone like Butler or Harmon (if you want size/speed --size with Harmon), or Brown or Cambell or Isabella later if you want speed.  

The draft is just too deep at WR to take a gamble at #9 when you have so many other needs (ex. DL).  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

1.) The run defense was not fine.  Did you watch the Colts game where Marlon Mack ran wild, or the Jags game where Fournette gashed the defense, until he lost his mind and got ejected?

2.) So, you want them to wait until the 5th to 7th round to pick up some "project" DE that they hope can turn into the next Khalil Mack?  Who might that player be, if I may ask?

By your recollection (of just the same 2 games by the way out of 16 you keep mentioning) you would think we were 32nd in rush defense.  Yet weirdly we were 16th in yards per game, and just 4 yards per game from being in the top 10.  

Ive never even seen your name before until you have in the past week gone into every thread and just grossly over exaggerated in every single post about how bad our defense is (#2 ranked D in the NFL last year by the way).  Then you do something even MORE ridiculous and act like if we dont take a DL guy at 9 that somehow means both we cant win many games and that the ONLY other option is to take some project in "5th or 7th" round.  Weird how you keep skipping over rounds 2, 3, and 4 which are 5 more picks by the way to again GROSSLY over exaggerate.  

Get a grip man.  Its TWO GAMES.  You are freaking out over TWO GAMES.  Guess what, our offense was atrocious a LOT MORE than just TWO GAMES.  Our Defense was better than the most the teams in playoffs, including the 2 in the Super Bowl last year.  Its no where near the tragedy you are whining about.  

Everyone agrees we will be adding more help to the DL via draft or trade.  But for whatever reason, you and freaking out on everyone if its not the 9th pick to do it.  Relax dude.  We could take Simmons in the 2nd or a trade up from our 2nd back into the first for example.  Guess what, he's a better prospect than Oliver and was top 5 until the injury this offseason.  We could take Tillery, another very good prospect.  There are a NUMBER of ways to improve the DL outside your obsession with the 9th pick being the only way.

Like I said in another thread, take a break dude, go outside regroup and let the sun shine on you to pull you out of these dark whining depths you are stuck in.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

By your recollection (of just the same 2 games by the way out of 16 you keep mentioning) you would think we were 32nd in rush defense.  Yet weirdly we were 16th in yards per game, and just 4 yards per game from being in the top 10.  

Ive never even seen your name before until you have in the past week gone into every thread and just grossly over exaggerated in every single post about how bad our defense is (#2 ranked D in the NFL last year by the way).  Then you do something even MORE ridiculous and act like if we dont take a DL guy at 9 that somehow means both we cant win many games and that the ONLY other option is to take some project in "5th or 7th" round.  Weird how you keep skipping over rounds 2, 3, and 4 which are 5 more picks by the way to again GROSSLY over exaggerate.  

Get a grip man.  Its TWO GAMES.  You are freaking out over TWO GAMES.  Guess what, our offense was atrocious a LOT MORE than just TWO GAMES.  Our Defense was better than the most the teams in playoffs, including the 2 in the Super Bowl last year.  Its no where near the tragedy you are whining about.  

Everyone agrees we will be adding more help to the DL via draft or trade.  But for whatever reason, you and freaking out on everyone if its not the 9th pick to do it.  Relax dude.  We could take Simmons in the 2nd or a trade up from our 2nd back into the first for example.  Guess what, he's a better prospect than Oliver and was top 5 until the injury this offseason.  We could take Tillery, another very good prospect.  There are a NUMBER of ways to improve the DL outside your obsession with the 9th pick being the only way.

Like I said in another thread, take a break dude, go outside regroup and let the sun shine on you to pull you out of these dark whining depths you are stuck in.  

This is courtesy of Reed83HOF from a little while ago in this same thread.  Everything he says is spot on.  If you disagree with any of these points, take it up with him.

"We were #26 in sacks and 27 in yards lost on sacks.

We were #1 in the fewest 1st downs by passing and in passing yards given up (minus sack yardage)

We were #8 in INTs

We are not the 85 bears and have lots of room to improve on our Defense. We survive on creating turnovers and having a good secondary"

11 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

This is courtesy of Reed83HOF from a little while ago in this same thread.  Everything he says is spot on.  If you disagree with any of these points, take it up with him.

"We were #26 in sacks and 27 in yards lost on sacks.

We were #8 in INTs

We are not the 85 bears and have lots of room to improve on our Defense. We survive on creating turnovers and having a good secondary"

Let me help you process the data you are posting.

1. We had a very good pass defense.
  2. Teams chose to run on us more because they couldn't easily throw on us.
  3. We still had the #2 defense in the NFL despite those "issues"
  4. We had the worst offense in the NFL for the first 9 weeks of the season which meant our defense was on the field a lot.
    1. We STILL had the #2 Defense in the NFL despite how bad the offense was early in the season with Josh learning, him getting hurt, NP and DA disaster.  
  5. We lost Milano who was having a great season, getting him back instantly makes the D better.
  6. Edmunds was a 20 year old rookie and will be better with a season under his belt and got better as the year went on.

So you can quote those stats all you want.  Nothing you say changes we had the #2 D in the NFL last year despite putting an ENORMOUS amount of pressure on the defense through fielding the literal worst offense in the NFL for 9 weeks.  

PS:  What 85 Bears Defense did the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, and Pats field last year?  How about the Eagles and Pats the year before in the SB...what 85 Bears Defense did they have again?  

Defense matters.  We will add talent to keep improving it.  But its no where near the travesty you seem to think it is nor is our future dependent on taking a defensive player at 9.

Our D is already good enough to win with.  Our D is good enough to win a SB with.  The offense...was not any of those things last year.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, the skycap said:

The Bills have slot receivers already. 

Not saying I want the Bills to draft him but I think AJ Brown will be better than Metcalf in the pros. Give me a guy on the D or O line in the first. Otherwise Hockenson if the value isn't there and the top guys are gone.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

4. We had the worst offense in the NFL for the first 9 weeks of the season which meant our defense was on the field a lot.
    1. We STILL had the #2 Defense in the NFL despite how bad the offense was early in the season with Josh learning, him getting hurt, NP and DA disaster.  
  5. We lost Milano who was having a great season, getting him back instantly makes the D better.
  6. Edmunds was a 20 year old rookie and will be better with a season under his belt and got better as the year went on.

So you can quote those stats all you want.  Nothing you say changes we had the #2 D in the NFL last year despite putting an ENORMOUS amount of pressure on the defense through fielding the literal worst offense in the NFL for 9 weeks.  

PS:  What 85 Bears Defense did the Rams, Chiefs, Saints, and Pats field last year?  How about the Eagles and Pats the year before in the SB...what 85 Bears Defense did they have again?  

Defense matters.  We will add talent to keep improving it.  But its no where near the travesty you seem to think it is nor is our future dependent on taking a defensive player at 9.

Our D is already good enough to win with.  Our D is good enough to win a SB with.  The offense...was not any of those things last year.   

Well said...

And thank you...?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...I could really care less what anyone says...I'll trust my eyes anyday...I watched every single play of Pat Mahomes College career, told everyone who would listen he should go #1 overall..Many, many, many NFL scouts and pundits disagreed with me...Who cares? I trust what I see...

What I see with DK is not something you are ever going to gather by looking at a stat sheet or route chart...He's a Red Shirt Soph...He had to push his way into a STACKED Depth chart...He had to play a role with average to less QB play...And yes he got hurt...

But on the field just watch the kid and what he can do already at this VERY early time in his development...He EATS the cushion in what seems like 2 steps...He is REAL physical but has the potential to be more physical with seasoning...He has the type of physical package to be the best Run blocking WR in the league..He can be nasty when he want to be...He does not make the same mistake twice...He understands how to use his body and set up CB's even this early...He'll get WAY better at it...And physically he, like Edwards and Allen last year, is not only top of his class but in elite company in the entire league...Plus the kid is a real hard worker and a good citizen...

There are plenty of ways it could go wrong with DK, but football people do not think that way as much as many think...They look at the upside and say "we can get him there." I don't think the Megatron comparisons are really that out-of-line, though I totally understand Johnson was a better prospect coming out...But their College careers were apples to oranges...And there's no telling what DK could have done in a different situation or Offense...

Good post.  As you point out, Metcalf is a redshirt sophomore and he was injured a fair amount during his career.  When he played, he was productive, but he did not put up Hollywood Brown-type numbers.  Here's the thing: If Metcalf was a totally clean prospect (no injuries, big career production numbers), with his measurables and athletic ability, he wouldn't make it out of the top three.  Because of these blemishes, he's not a sure thing and so we are talking about being able to potentially get a player with huge upside farther down the board.   

Same was true of Josh Allen last year.  If he had put up Big 12 Conference passing numbers, with his frame and arm strength, he would have been a slam-dunk first overall pick.  As it was, he was a bit of a projection and came from a small school, so we had a shot at him at 7.      

Frankly, I don't see DK as a guy with a low floor.  With his size, speed and athletic ability, he's not going to washout entirely.  I think he has a higher floor than lots of more polished receivers. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that had the following players on his defense that combined for over 40 sacks last season:
- Dee Ford
- Justin Houston
- Chris Jones
- Allen Bailey

Yes, the same Patrick Mahomes that had to score 30 pts per game with the great defensive players you listed. The same players who got torched in the AFC championship game.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Good post.  As you point out, Metcalf is a redshirt sophomore and he was injured a fair amount during his career.  When he played, he was productive, but he did not put up Hollywood Brown-type numbers.  Here's the thing: If Metcalf was a totally clean prospect (no injuries, big career production numbers), with his measurables and athletic ability, he wouldn't make it out of the top three.  Because of these blemishes, he's not a sure thing and so we are talking about being able to potentially get a player with huge upside farther down the board.   

Same was true of Josh Allen last year.  If he had put up Big 12 Conference passing numbers, with his frame and arm strength, he would have been a slam-dunk first overall pick.  As it was, he was a bit of a projection and came from a small school, so we had a shot at him at 7.      

Frankly, I don't see DK as a guy with a low floor.  With his size, speed and athletic ability, he's not going to washout entirely.  I think he has a higher floor than lots of more polished receivers. 

Agreed...

I really don't go out on a limb for more than 1 or two prospects in a specific Draft...I've been a Metcalf fan for a while now and as soon as I heard he'd be 100% cleared medically I knew he would be my guy this year...I was honestly worried he would do pretty much exactly what he did at the Combine because I feared he would move himself into the top 8 easily (thank God for those pesky cone drills...?)...I see numerous skills and attributes that should transfer over to an elite level player once he learns an Offense...

I think the kid is really, really special...But we'll see I guess...?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Whoa Whoa Whoa slow down bucko

1.) Yes - without much of a pass rush (and yes that is a big problem). We were #26 in sacks and 27 in yards lost on sacks = Big Problem

2.) Possibly true and possibly not - this is true for Jax for instance, this is not true for Indy. It also depended on if the game was out of reach and our opponent didn't pass as much and went into a run only mode. You can't be absolute like you did here because you leave out the other facts. the way the game unfolds definitely dictates what type of plays you will see. How many games were a blow out last year? 4-6 games were. We also were 8th worst on first downs given up from a rush

3.) #2 defense in what yards? Yards don't mean much. Points do and we were 18th at 23.4 and we were 13th worst for TDs allowed

4.) I believe ARZ had a worse offense than ours, but yes we were bad. We were the 8th best on 3rd down and 14th best on 4th down conversions. We also were 14th in the # of 3rd down attempts against us (we actually had the least amount of 4th down attempts made against us).

5.) Milano yes makes the D better, he was injured on Dec 10. We were still getting the ball run down our throats, not generating pressure with him in there for ~80% of the season.

6.) Edmunds will become better this year, but again our D didn't improve that much (neither did the LB position) from the year before and Preston Brown was there. 

Your points are all mostly conjuncture and yes some of it does play a role, but the fact remains and has remained our D does tend to get blown out and has trouble getting off the field at times. When a team goes up on us, they become more conservative to run the clock out and escape with as few as injuries as possible. Teh year before we relied on a lot of TOs to bail us out of games. TOs are not sustainable. SO you can state all of your thoughts that are not backed up by stats and your thoughts honestly are not factual. Show me the numbers to back your thoughts up?

What does the '85 Bears D have to do with this. People here tend to say look we have the #2 ranked D and conveniently leave out the stats to make them appear better than they are. Would you rather have the #2 ranked D based on Yards or based on Points what would you take? You can have the #2 ranked in yards and give up a F*&k ton of points...

Why don't we beat the Pats? We don't pressure Brady at all with our front 4. So no we don't have a Superbowl D, since he will kill us from the pocket everyday. PERIOD.

Anyways, we should be taking BPA in this draft @9. DK is not #9 material. Positional Value at the top of the draft should be QB, Pass Rusher, CB/WR

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1