Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

21 minutes ago, section122 said:

I stumbled across this when doing the board mock draft.  It is a compilation of released big boards.  

Not saying wrong or right but Metcalf falls in at the 13th highest average (15.5).  Sounds like what you are describing with Ward.

Thanks section122!  I've been waiting for something like this.

I'm a passive college football fan BUT like everyone else I like "guessing" about the draft.

This info is great.

If anyone else has site(s) like this please by all means post them.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Just no.

Bucky Brooks disagrees. Pay close attention to the bold text. Comparisons of Metcalf to Calvin Johnson coming out are absurd. But if that’s what people need to reassure themselves about Metcalf’s question marks coming out, so be it. 

1. Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech

Drafted: Second overall, 2007, Detroit Lions

There aren't enough adjectives to describe Megatron's rare combination of talents as a super-sized WR1 in the college game.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound pass-catcher overpowered defenders in the ACC as a three-time all-conference performer with exceptional size, speed and leaping ability. Johnson blew past defenders on vertical routes, displaying outstanding acceleration and burst, but also created separation on short and intermediate routes as a "speed-cut" route runner. The 2006 Biletnikoff Award winner (top CFB WR) finished his collegiate career with 178 receptions for 2,927 receiving yards and 28 touchdowns in just 38 games. With Johnson also showing off world-class athletic traits at the NFL Scouting Combine(4.35-second 40-yard dash, 42.5-inch vertical jump and 11-foot-7-inch broad jump), it's not a surprise many scouts rated Johnson as the No. 1 prospect in his class.

The six-time Pro Bowl selectee definitely played the part as the Detroit Lions' WR1 on the way to amassing 731 receptions for 11,619 yards and 83 touchdowns in a spectacular nine-year career. Considering Johnson also shattered the single-season receiving yards mark (1,964) in 2012 and changed the way scouts view big-bodied receivers on the perimeter, I believe Megatron deserves the top spot on this list as a revolutionary player.

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bucky Brooks disagrees. Pay close attention to the bold text. Comparisons of Metcalf to Calvin Johnson coming out are absurd. But if that’s what people need to reassure themselves about Metcalf’s question marks coming out, so be it. 

Where in that does it say he can run an entire route tree?

This is Megatron's career route tree and %s run.

Feel free to watch Brett kollmans video on how they compare.

Screenshot_20190417-125128_opt.jpg

Edited by SouthNYfan
Added image

15 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...

That would make me a very, very happy Bills Fan...

I totally get why DK scares some...I really do...But with Metcalf you are getting a player that, if developed properly, could be the best at his position in the entire league in 2-3 years...

Look at what the Bills did with Robert Foster in less than a full Season...DK's upside is limitless...Who is going to want to cover this guy?...Big, powerful, under 4.4 speed, can jump through the roof and pluck it, can be VERY physical if he needs to, or just flat out run by you and your 10 yd cushion...Plus he's just a baby...He's no where even close to be a finished product yet...He's barely scratched the surface...

I've been all in on DK since long before the Combine...I would take him at #1 overall if I had that pick...It's absolutely a gamble...But if it pays off you're going to have a top 3 NFL WR...When Joe Mario was doing his ceiling/floor recently he set Metcalf's floor at Braylon Edwards, but his ceiling? Calvin Johnson...I'm taking that chance...?

Please tell me your plans for replacing Kyle and finding someone to rush the QB opposite Hughes.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Where in that does it say he can run an entire route tree?

Did you miss the part about creating separation on short and intermediate routes as a “speed cut” runner? If you don’t think running short and intermediate quick routes, IN ADDITION TO  running 9s, doesn’t mean the bulk of route tree, then you’re just being obtuse and it’s not worth the discussion. 

I like Metcalf as a prospect, but he’s no Calvin Johnson coming out. However,  if you want to find me a scouting report that ALSO mentions Metcalf’s ability to run quick cut routes in addition to goes and slants, I’d be happy to read it. 

24 minutes ago, billspro said:

For me it comes down to Oliver, Metcalf, Taylor, and Hockenson. I don’t think Sweat is a legitimate option, he will probably be drafted in the teens. I think there is a chance we draft White too but I don’t think he falls to us. Oliver and Metcalf are both blue chip prospects, I would be happy with either. 

I don't think that either White or Taylor fall to #9.

Going with Hockenson would make sense as there only seems to be 2 or 3 top flight TE's in the draft and jumping on one early could be a plan. I'd still take Oliver over any TE though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Did you miss the part about creating separation on short and intermediate routes as a “speed cut” runner? If you don’t think running short and intermediate quick routes, IN ADDITION TO  running 9s, doesn’t mean the bulk of route tree, then you’re just being obtuse and it’s not worth the discussion. 

I like Metcalf as a prospect, but he’s no Calvin Johnson coming out. However,  if you want to find me a scouting report that ALSO mentions Metcalf’s ability to run quick cut routes in addition to goes and slants, I’d be happy to read it. 

Watch Brett kollmans video

That's his entire career routes

A curl and slant cab be short and intermediate.

Screenshot_20190417-125128_opt.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billspro said:

The run defence was fine. We can work on the sacks later in the draft with a rotational guy.

1.) The run defense was not fine.  Did you watch the Colts game where Marlon Mack ran wild, or the Jags game where Fournette gashed the defense, until he lost his mind and got ejected?

2.) So, you want them to wait until the 5th to 7th round to pick up some "project" DE that they hope can turn into the next Khalil Mack?  Who might that player be, if I may ask?

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/d-k-metcalf

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

1.) The run defense was not fine.  Did you watch the Colts game where Marlon Mack ran wild, or the Jags game where Fournette gashed the defense, until he lost his mind and got ejected?

2.) So, you want them to wait until the 5th to 7th round to pick up some "project" DE that they hope can turn into the next Khalil Mack?  Who might that player be, if I may ask?

Maybe Kyle Williams ?

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

Relax man.

Your error isn't in wanting a better pass rush or a better run D; your error is thinking that the team should be prioritizing need with the No. 9 overall pick.

Draft for value, not need.  If you don't have a franchise QB, then you draft one.  After that, take the best player at a key position like WR, pass rusher, cover corner, and--maybe to a lesser extent--LT.  When you draft for need, you usually do so by forgoing better value.  That's a fool's errand.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well...I could really care less what anyone says...I'll trust my eyes anyday...I watched every single play of Pat Mahomes College career, told everyone who would listen he should go #1 overall..Many, many, many NFL scouts and pundits disagreed with me...Who cares? I trust what I see...

What I see with DK is not something you are ever going to gather by looking at a stat sheet or route chart...He's a Red Shirt Soph...He had to push his way into a STACKED Depth chart...He had to play a role with average to less QB play...And yes he got hurt...

But on the field just watch the kid and what he can do already at this VERY early time in his development...He EATS the cushion in what seems like 2 steps...He is REAL physical but has the potential to be more physical with seasoning...He has the type of physical package to be the best Run blocking WR in the league..He can be nasty when he want to be...He does not make the same mistake twice...He understands how to use his body and set up CB's even this early...He'll get WAY better at it...And physically he, like Edwards and Allen last year, is not only top of his class but in elite company in the entire league...Plus the kid is a real hard worker and a good citizen...

There are plenty of ways it could go wrong with DK, but football people do not think that way as much as many think...They look at the upside and say "we can get him there." I don't think the Megatron comparisons are really that out-of-line, though I totally understand Johnson was a better prospect coming out...But their College careers were apples to oranges...And there's no telling what DK could have done in a different situation or Offense...

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Please tell me your plans for replacing Kyle and finding someone to rush the QB opposite Hughes.

What does that matter? Beane has told you a million times already he's not going to Draft for need...The Bills are not a SB contending team yet...They are young and developing...If they think DK is the best player it's done deal...regardless of what they need...They will look to add later on...Not saying that will work...Just saying...Beane said it in his Presser the other day...They do not feel thay have a glaring hole, they will take the best player regardless...He even said he knew some people may be surprised with the pick but he's telling us now what they are going to do...

The only players that really matter need-wise will more than likely be gone before the Bills pick...It's really not that hard to believe the Bills will prefer DK to Brian Burns, Ed Oliver, and one of the TE's...It's really not...Now...If they take DK ahead of Q Williams or Bosa then sure...You have a legit point...

• Like (+1) 4