Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What people, where?

A guy who is a top prospect talent doesn't have to be can't miss.

Josh Allen and Edmunds we're highly touted talents.

Neither one was regarded as can't miss 

Google......don’t act as if Gary isn’t listed in MANY mock drafts being drafted before Metcalf.  

I shouldn't have said “can’t miss”.  It’s widely regarded that Bosa, Quinnen, Josh Allen are the cream of this draft crop.  Devin White is next in line as BPA.  Murray is a QB.  Oliver is probably next in line talent wise but even he’s not a lock for the top 10.  Jawaan Taylor, Hockenson up next?  Both solid prospects but if we’re talking about a stud 6’3 230 4.3 40 WR, wouldn’t he be over them is most cases?  What stud WRs do the jags and lions have?  Both could absolutely use a guy like DK, but I haven’t seen anyone mock him at 7-8.  

My point being, if he was THAT special, everyone would be mocking him higher than they are.  I’ve seen some mocks with him in the 2nd rd.  Why?  Questionable hands and agility, broken neck, injuries, limited route tree, 

he has more than a couple cons.  Very serious cons that make him a huge risk at 9.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am still hoping Oliver is there at nine. If they want DK, I would try and trade up from the second and get him in the twenties if he is there.

Agreed

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ward was a definite 1st rounder. He was in most people's 2nd batch of players (after the QBs and Chubb, Nelson, Barkley) and the consensus was he was in play anywhere from #8 with Chicago through to about #20 and Dallas. That said he did go earlier than people expected at #4.

I stumbled across this when doing the board mock draft.  It is a compilation of released big boards.  

Not saying wrong or right but Metcalf falls in at the 13th highest average (15.5).  Sounds like what you are describing with Ward.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

And that's a totally fair thing to say.

Some people want the high ceiling some want the higher floor.

I think you and I agree on dk as a talent, just disagree with what we want at #9

That is correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes.

We have people calling him garbage though and acting like he's not a possible talent.

I haven’t seen anyone call him garbage.  I think he’s a garbage pick @9, but is a great talent with lots of question marks.  Number 1 being the ability to actually step on the field every Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You mean like Robert Foster.

Foster never got on the field much. Gary has been on the field starting for 3 years and hasn't done squat. Foster was also a UDFA. We found a gem. You can't honestly be comparing him with a guy they are putting in the 1st Round convo? 

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, this simply isn’t true. Johnson could run the entire route tree. He was equally as effective running nines or routes requiring quick separation. 

Just no.

23 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

This is just not true.  The Lions never asked him to run double move routes.  The information is out there on CJ's career if you care to look at it.  He excelled at a few routes and that's how the Lions used him.  Technically every wide receive "could run the entire route tree".  The issue is can they do it well.  They Lions decided to use CJ a certain way and allowed him to excel at certain routes.  They never asked him to run poco or copo for instance.  

This.

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think anyone here is denying that DK has talent.  Picking him at 9 is another story.  If we trade back and get him at 20ish, I’ll be ok with it.  He’s just a terrible pick at 9 imo.  

I think it's still debatable at #9 but I don't disagree that people would rather him at 17-22 or so either.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t seen anyone call him garbage.  I think he’s a garbage pick @9, but is a great talent with lots of question marks.  Number 1 being the ability to actually step on the field every Sunday.

That's very valid.

I'll not even going crazy advocating for dk @$9

I'm good with Oliver, hock, or him at 9.

I also get why people might want him a bit later.

I don't get the people who think he's trash, so I'm sorry if I lumped you in with them.

• Like (+1) 1

There are a lot of quality WR's in this years draft and drafting any at #9 seems too soon. Landing Johnson from UB in the 3rd or 4th sounds like better choice to me.

There are a few blue chip DL men and l would rather see them go with Oliver over a WR.

Oliver

Sweat

Hockenson

Metcalf

Would be my personal order after the Quinnen Williams and Josh Allens are gone.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, frostbitmic said:

There are a lot of quality WR's in this years draft and drafting any at #9 seems too soon. Landing Johnson from UB in the 3rd or 4th sounds like better choice to me.

There are a few blue chip DL men and l would rather see them go with Oliver over a WR.

Oliver

Sweat

Hockenson

Metcalf

I don't like sweat for some reason, and I can't even tell you why lol

It's irrational but it's true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The main reason I don’t see them taking him this high is simply because I don’t believe they place this type of value on the WR position. We just haven’t seen it from them. I will say they’ve shown a propensity to try to model this team after the Panthers. If they do that they are going to go TE, 3 tech or LB. from there -  i just feel that at TE a guy like Hock isn’t going to be the top guy on their board at 9. I think the TE comes in round 2-3. 

It definitely seemed that way in 2018, BUT it also appeared that they realized their mistake half way through the year, and then they were scrambling the rest of the year to find WRs with speed that could play.  Also, signing 2 free agent WRs showed that they realized they under-emphasized the WR position.  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

IMO these articles are somewhat clickbait as nobody really knows how this draft will play out-I read a mock draft today (Walter Football) where Devin White is there at #9. Maybe the Bills would take White-lots of posters here say he is BPA.

6 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Oliver

Sweat

Hockenson

Metcalf

For me it comes down to Oliver, Metcalf, Taylor, and Hockenson. I don’t think Sweat is a legitimate option, he will probably be drafted in the teens. I think there is a chance we draft White too but I don’t think he falls to us. Oliver and Metcalf are both blue chip prospects, I would be happy with either. 

Edited by billspro

Just now, H2o said:

Foster never got on the field much. Gary has been on the field starting for 3 years and hasn't done squat. Foster was also a UDFA. We found a gem. You can't honestly be comparing him with a guy they are putting in the 1st Round convo? 

Have you asked yourself why he couldnt get on the field.  Was it maybe because he underperformed.  Just like he did when he started out here.  Good coaching got him to flip the switch.  I havent watched any film on Gary that is why you will notice my opinions are nuetral.  Foster was a five star recruit that underperformed in college.  So that is where the comparison came in.  Its possible that better coaching could get Gary to play at the level he should if he has truly underperformed.  Foster should have been a first round pick but no one had an all seeing eye and neither do you and I. You draft players off talent.  Sometimes teams feel they can coach that talent sometimes they dont.  That is why they meet with the prospects.  To find out if they are coachable and what kind of person they are.

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Oliver and Metcalf are both blue chip prospects, I would be happy with either. 

Metcalf is not a blue chip prospect though.

Blue is elite, low risk, provide immediate impact, have proven skills and not reliant on untapped potential that may or may not be there. They are high ceiling and high floor players; that is not DK

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:
(AP Photo/Thomas Graning)

AP

(AP Photo/Thomas Graning)

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Draft season never disappoints when it comes to trying to figure out which prospect is most coveted by NFL teams.

When it comes to the Buffalo Bills, a few names have been thrown out ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah recently said that Alabama offensive tackle Jonah Williams was somebody to watch at No. 9. Williams’ name gained steam when draft analyst Tony Pauline said it was a “three-horse race” for the Bills with Williams in contention with Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver and Washington State offensive tackle Andre Dillard.

While all three players are legitimate options, Sports Illustrated’s Gary Gramling added a fourth name to the mix: Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf. In a recent MMQB Podcast, Gramling was doing a mock draft along with Andy Benoit when he made an interesting statement ahead of making his pick for Buffalo.

“We are on to the Buffalo Bills. And I just want to say before we start, the Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf in the real draft. That’s all. That’s all I want to say.”

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-are-taking-dk-metcalf-says-sis-gary-gramling.html

Well...

That would make me a very, very happy Bills Fan...

I totally get why DK scares some...I really do...But with Metcalf you are getting a player that, if developed properly, could be the best at his position in the entire league in 2-3 years...

Look at what the Bills did with Robert Foster in less than a full Season...DK's upside is limitless...Who is going to want to cover this guy?...Big, powerful, under 4.4 speed, can jump through the roof and pluck it, can be VERY physical if he needs to, or just flat out run by you and your 10 yd cushion...Plus he's just a baby...He's no where even close to be a finished product yet...He's barely scratched the surface...

I've been all in on DK since long before the Combine...I would take him at #1 overall if I had that pick...It's absolutely a gamble...But if it pays off you're going to have a top 3 NFL WR...When Joe Mario was doing his ceiling/floor recently he set Metcalf's floor at Braylon Edwards, but his ceiling? Calvin Johnson...I'm taking that chance...?

• Thank you (+1) 1