Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The top 8 "locks" for me are:

Murray

Bosa

Williams

White

Allen

Taylor

The other two spots are harder to predict.

I forgot about White. You are right. It looks increasingly like we will have  Oliver fall to 9! if the other 2 spots go to a QB, TE or Edge Rusher. The real intrigue will come if the Raiders take Oliver at #4. 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying either LOL. It's just at pick #9 (or higher) in this draft, I see better overall and more well-wounded talent. As you move into the teens and depending on if someone slides or not I can easily see a case for DK; with the Blue chippers being gone and now the raw athletic talent and ceiling vs the mid guys. 

Yes.

We have people calling him garbage though and acting like he's not a possible talent.

56 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

last year, Allan was the one athletic freak I did not want us to get, same with Tramain.  And have learned since, to trust the process.

if they have Metcalf that high, I trust them

They have shown an affinity for drafting athletic “ freak” type players, as well as moving around the board to acquire them. It’s not a far fetched scenario to me. Your take makes sense from a fan standpoint, because this is the type of thing they’re likely to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Terrible take.

Just because there are other "more special" players like bosa doesn't mean that a guy like dk isn't special.

Completely absurd.

There’s a top 3 then there’s Murray.  Then Devin White.  No one else is regarded as a cant miss. 4 position players and a QB.  People are talking about Rashan Gary more than DK in the top 10. That saying a lot imo 

I was alright with DK or any WR at 9 until I saw the last picks at 9 and realized the Bengals took Josh Ross at that spot - made me think about the "reach" factor by grabbing a WR that early and the lack of impact they can have on a team.

For that reason, I am ok with DK or any WR as our first pick, just preferably not at 9

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There’s a top 3 then there’s Murray.  Then Devin White.  No one else is regarded as a cant miss. 4 position players and a QB.  People are talking about Rashan Gary more than DK in the top 10. That saying a lot imo 

What people, where?

A guy who is a top prospect talent doesn't have to be can't miss.

Josh Allen and Edmunds we're highly touted talents.

Neither one was regarded as can't miss 

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yes.

We have people calling him garbage though and acting like he's not a possible talent.

He is high-ceiling and low floor, at draft our position I want a higher floor and someone who play right away and this draft looks to have the top 10-12 talent to do just that. 

You can't call him garbage (right now at least). People also said EJ and Tyrod need more time...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, drf1835 said:

Here is my concern: Metcalf likely does finger, palm and knuckle pushups too. His hands likely may be too bulgy, such that Allen's thrown darts would bounce off those hard. rippled hands. On the orher hand, Jerry Rice seemed thin as a skeleton and used to catch bricks, to put his hands in shape. Not sure if the other way around, soft ball, in muscular  hands work. 

ROTFLMFAO!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

He is high-ceiling and low floor, at draft our position I want a higher floor and someone who play right away and this draft looks to have the top 10-12 talent to do just that. 

You can't call him garbage (right now at least). People also said EJ and Tyrod need more time...

And that's a totally fair thing to say.

Some people want the high ceiling some want the higher floor.

I think you and I agree on dk as a talent, just disagree with what we want at #9

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't disagree that we may be lacking the coaching, but daboll seems to be okay to me, and I think he'd use him right.

I also think that people forget Calvin Johnson had a limited route tree as well.

Doing a couple of things amazingly can be just as effective, and usually more effective, as doing everything above average.

DK def needs the right coach and scheme to succeed, and a guy who is limited in his range but elite in those areas has a bigger bust potential since he also needs a proper coach to see and maximize those abilities.

Anyway, he's elite in some areas and grossly lacking in others.

He's ranked highly for a reason by almost everybody, but he is also listed as having a big risk by those same people.

I get not wanting the risk, I totally get that, but there's no way people can say he doesn't have the upside to be a high pick, by some team.

Per the bold text, this simply isn’t true. Johnson could run the entire route tree. He was equally as effective running nines or routes requiring quick separation. 

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What people, where?

A guy who is a top prospect talent doesn't have to be can't miss.

Josh Allen and Edmunds we're highly touted talents.

Neither one was regarded as can't miss 

Google

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, this simply isn’t true. Johnson could run the entire route tree. He was equally as effective running nines or routes requiring quick separation. 

This is just not true.  The Lions never asked him to run double move routes.  The information is out there on CJ's career if you care to look at it.  He excelled at a few routes and that's how the Lions used him.  Technically every wide receive "could run the entire route tree".  The issue is can they do it well.  They Lions decided to use CJ a certain way and allowed him to excel at certain routes.  They never asked him to run poco or copo for instance.  

Edited by NewEraBills

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

And that's a totally fair thing to say.

Some people want the high ceiling some want the higher floor.

I think you and I agree on dk as a talent, just disagree with what we want at #9

I don’t think anyone here is denying that DK has talent.  Picking him at 9 is another story.  If we trade back and get him at 20ish, I’ll be ok with it.  He’s just a terrible pick at 9 imo.  

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I was watching a program with Aaron Taylor and Randy Cross and they rated Jawaan Taylor a "BLAH" Cross said he was too high in his stance and that he may have to move inside

I think Taylor is a tackle... but a right tackle only. I wouldn't take him top 10 either necessarily.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think anyone here is denying that DK has talent.  Picking him at 9 is another story.  If we trade back and get him at 20ish, I’ll be ok with it.  He’s just a terrible pick at 9 imo.  

I am still hoping Oliver is there at nine. If they want DK, I would try and trade up from the second and get him in the twenties if he is there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEraBills said:

This is just not true.  The Lions never asked him to run double move routes.  The information is out there on CJ's career if you care to look at it.  He excelled at a few routes and that's how the Lions used him.  Technically every wide receive "could run the entire route tree".  The issue is can they do it well.

It’s not about what the Lions asked him to do, it’s about what he was capable of doing. He ran a ton of go routes because it complicated things for the defense and made it easier on other offensive players. That’s a good strategy and I could see Metcalf fulfilling a similar role. But one of the reasons his nine routes were so effective is because defenses had to respect his ability on digs and other quick cut routes as well. 

I just read Brook’s scouting report on Johnson coming out and he mentions his route versatility. There’s a reason Johnson was the number two overall pick (some projected him number one overall)  and it wasn’t because he was a limited wideout. He demonstrated his versatility throughout his college career and won the Biletnikof as a result. 

This takes nothing away from Metcalf., who’s a fine prospect in his own right. But these comparisons to Johnson are simply out of line. It’s like people have to convince themselves about Metcalf by diminishing Johnson somehow. 

• Like (+1) 2