Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

I didn't want the Bills to draft Josh Allen and I was so wrong about not wanting him.  I don't want them to draft DK Metcalf, so they'll probably pick him too.  I am trusting Beane on whomever he picks.

You said "whomever."  Refreshing.  

I was happy that the Bills took the guy they wanted last year.  The move for Edmunds was excellent.  The rest of the draft was pretty great.  The UDFA group was stellar.  I trust they will get their guys.  

Personally, I think I'd prefer Oliver.  But I'm getting pretty pumped to find out.

The offense has 0 play makers.  If they go D.K Metcalf, Allen will have a guy who has a huge catch radius needed, and a guy who is a chore to tackle, who can run past any defender a playmaker.  Get Metcalf in a professional weight training program.  A little less heavy lifting and more range of motion and look out.  His dad was a 10 year NFL lineman, and his uncle was one of the best return men in NFL history.  He has the pedigree.  Run go, Comback, Slant, Cross, Post.  He easily the top prospect because his game easily transitions to the NFL.  If his neck is healed it's a pretty simple decision.  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

He does need to be a #1 receiver to be taken that high, absolutely. But I wouldn't take the higher floor player at 9. With that logic you'd take Christian Wilkins over Ed Oliver. I take the elite potential in the top 10 every time.

To me a top 10 pick has to be high ceiling and high floor (to me Ed Oliver is that by the way). DK is super high ceiling but very low floor. That to me is not a top 10 pick. I wouldn't take AJ Brown at #9 either. I have been clear about that. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

To me a top 10 pick has to be high ceiling and high floor (to me Ed Oliver is that by the way). DK is super high ceiling but very low floor. That to me is not a top 10 pick. I wouldn't take AJ Brown at #9 either. I have been clear about that. 

But that is the profile this front office has targeted. Allen and Edmunds are both in the same mold as DK.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

But that is the profile this front office has targeted. Allen and Edmunds are both in the same mold as DK.

That is one way to look at it but it’s fair to question that they might have different profiles at different positions. It’s my hunch that they prefer a more polished, well rounded player at WR than a physical freak who needs time and molding. Thinking about a skill position like CB where McD took Tre White - not a physical specimen but 4 year starter, captain, pro ready, sound technique. I see this as their WR type.  We will see though.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see it.  Verticals all day. Metcalf size and speed would put a ton of pressure on secondaries with Allen’s arm. He’s not easy to cover. That’s just out of the box, go routes. Might as well go full Josh Allen offense, cater to his strengths. 

If I had to bet money on them taking him at 9 though? No, I would not. 

That's exactly his strength, he can get off the line and defensive back quick..he runs the 9, 8, 2 routes great and that's about it.  The three cone drill shows you he cant run the comebacks or curls, hell I'm not sure if he can the 7 either.  At pick 9 I wouldn't like it but Calvin Johnson's success was mostly those 3 routes anyway.

Just now, bkep32 said:

That's exactly his strength, he can get off the line and defensive back quick..he runs the 9, 8, 2 routes great and that's about it.  The three cone drill shows you he cant run the comebacks or curls, hell I'm not sure if he can the 7 either.  At pick 9 I wouldn't like it but Calvin Johnson's success was mostly those 3 routes anyway.

He’s a great fit for Allen, no doubt. I would be surprised at 9 but wonder if he falls if the Bills trade up from the 2nd... 

I sense they will be pretty aggressive in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is one way to look at it but it’s fair to question that they might have different profiles at different positions. It’s my hunch that they prefer a more polished, well rounded player at WR than a physical freak who needs time and molding. We will see though.

Ed Oliver fits their mold as well, fwiw. I can see DK being the pick, but I'm not sure how that translates to the field. Right now our starting 3 are (in my eyes) John Brown, Robert Foster, Cole Beasley. Does DK bump our newly signed Brown? Or does he bump Foster - who I'm not banking on, but I believe earned his opportunity?

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

For DK's sake he better hope he's a Bill because it's a perfect QB and offense for him. I shudder to think how his career turns out if he's matched up with a dink and dunk QB.

Or Baltimore, which I think is an interesting fit. Obviously lower volume of passes, but with all the running and misdirection he could have a ton of 60+ yards TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Does DK bump our newly signed Brown? Or does he bump Foster - who I'm not banking on, but I believe earned his opportunity?

Because he is raw I think he would be brought on slowly to replace Brown. That contract is easy to get out of after a year.

Who cares about mock draft statements?  They’re easy to make and generally wrong.  There are way too many dynamics in play especially with early picks in the draft.  If there is a run on QB’s this scenario could prove to be completely wrong.  I also believe the Bills will be smarter than this.  Metcalf is not a sure difference maker and it is risky to take WR’s in round 1 much less at #9.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm at about 90% confidence he doesn't get past pick 15. Based on what we know today, anyway.

I could see him falling past 15 but I'd be really surprised if he falls out of the 1st entirely. A physical freak with NFL pedigree. The NFL falls in love with prospects like that. I'd say the only thing holding him back from being a definite top 10 pick is his injury history.

Just now, Tatonka68 said:

Metcalf will be a Bust, Bills will trade down and select Rashan Gary DT and then trade up and select OT Kaleb McGary. Both were at One Bills drive for multiple visits.

What a horrible decision it would be to trade UP for a right tackle

We just have to hope Washington and giants both want haskins and hopefully they want to trade up to 9 to make sure they get their guy.  I wouldn't mind picking 15 or 17 and grabbing another 2nd

Edited by bkep32