Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

Between this and all the o-linemen that Beane signed - we would have a complete offensive overhaul YoY.  Between Metcalf, brown, foster - you have an insane amount of speed and even a size/speed combination that is really hard to matchup with.

Assuming this was the pick we would be lining up

WR1- Metcalf

WR2- Brown/Foster

WR3- Cole

This would have zay as the WR5 - and probably trade bait at that point.  Roberts sticks as a return man making mckenzie expendable.  People seem interested in that duke williams character as well.  If he has a good camp he makes zay even more expendable.  At the same time - WRs are always hurt.

TE- Kroft and a draft pick - Not sure where Fisher fits in here

RB1- Shady

RB2- Gore/Rookie

LT- Dawkins

LG- Spain

C-Morse

RG-Feliciano

RT-Nsekhe

With Long, Teller, Waddle as the likely 3 backups unless we draft someone early

QB - Allen

What are we returning... Dawkins, Allen, Shady, Foster, and Zay?  Foster and zay now have to battle even to secure spots on the team - and the oline battle between those guys should be pretty interesting.  Long seems likely to stick as a backup C and swing guard, and Waddle seems like a better option than the other 2 guys.  Teller probably isn't active on gamedays unless he can win a job.

The main reason I don’t see them taking him this high is simply because I don’t believe they place this type of value on the WR position. We just haven’t seen it from them. I will say they’ve shown a propensity to try to model this team after the Panthers. If they do that they are going to go TE, 3 tech or LB. from there -  i just feel that at TE a guy like Hock isn’t going to be the top guy on their board at 9. I think the TE comes in round 2-3. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The main reason I don’t see them taking him this high is simply because I don’t believe they place this type of value on the WR position. We just haven’t seen it from them. I will say they’ve shown a propensity to try to model this team after the Panthers. If they do that they are going to go TE, 3 tech or LB. from there -  i just feel that at TE a guy like Hock isn’t going to be the top guy on their board at 9. I think the TE comes in round 2-3. 

After going after Antonio Brown and possibly OBJ? I think its clear they value an elite WR

I'd prefer Ed Oliver, but DK is probably my #2 realistic option so I'd be pretty happy with this.

Having said that, who is this Gramling guy? I feel like I'm generally pretty well-versed on the draft community and I've never heard of him.

1 minute ago, wiseman3 said:

After going after Antonio Brown and possibly OBJ? I think its clear they value an elite WR

This rationale makes sense, but it's also possible they just saw those two as potential buy-low candidates (especially in regard to Antonio Brown).

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Unless he is the second coming of Julio - which there is nothing saying he is remotely close to that - then you have to take a safe, plug-and-play starter on the O or Dline.

He definitely does not need to be a Hall of Fame caliber receiver to justify picking him at 9.

An offensive lineman at 9 would be a mistake IMO. A d-lineman I would be happy with. Offensive line you can find better value after the 1st round. 

The only thing that scares me about Metcalf is his injury history. Beyond that he's a physical and athletic freak who loves the game of football and is known as a workout warrior. Yeah I'll take that player at 9 any year. Of course some guy on a podcast saying we'll take him doesn't mean anything.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

They never went after OBJ.  And they signed Brown and Beasley and have Foster and Zay so there's no room for another WR.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

What are they smokescreening?

I don't think anybody is trading up to take anybody other than a QB

Although when it comes to the draft there's always some ridiculously outlandish draft day move-up that makes people scratch their heads

To hide their real intentions or who they really are interested in. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team linked to multiple players between now and draft day. I believe Metcalf is a top 20 pick. Metcalf has been mocked as high to the Raiders at #4 but I just don't see him going top 10. Maybe some other team is in love with him who knows. I actually prefer his teammate AJ Brown over him. 

Somebody may have already said this as I haven’t read every post, but......

Lets remember that last year, they took the QB with all the tools, the highest upside, but perhaps the rawest of all QBs coming out.  To me, that means they are not afraid to draft high potential early in the draft.  If they were willing to do that with the most important position in sports, I see no reason they wouldn’t be willing to do it here.

Do I think it will happen?  Beats me.  I don’t have sources.  I don’t really follow college football much.  But from what we know from last year, I couldn’t say I’d be surprised if they swing for the huge upside, even with the bust potential.

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

I didn't want the Bills to draft Josh Allen and I was so wrong about not wanting him.  I don't want them to draft DK Metcalf, so they'll probably pick him too.  I am trusting Beane on whomever he picks.

This ^^

It's not my favorite choice as it seems like a reach, and I love Beane's stated mission of freeing himself to take the BPA which would make me think defense (and there's some nice last pieces of the defense that have a decent chance of being available at 9), but it could also be Beane's top player on the board, and if so, I trust his judgment.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He definitely does not need to be a Hall of Fame caliber receiver to justify picking him at 9.

An offensive lineman at 9 would be a mistake IMO. A d-lineman I would be happy with. Offensive line you can find better value after the 1st round. 

The only thing that scares me about Metcalf is his injury history. Beyond that he's a physical and athletic freak who loves the game of football and is known as a workout warrior. Yeah I'll take that player at 9 any year. Of course some guy on a podcast saying we'll take him doesn't mean anything.

He needs to be an undisputed #1 receiver though.

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

To hide their real intentions or who they really are interested in. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team linked to multiple players between now and draft day. I believe Metcalf is a top 20 pick. Metcalf has been mocked as high to the Raiders at #4 but I just don't see him going top 10. Maybe some other team is in love with him who knows. I actually prefer his teammate AJ Brown over him. 

Me too. Lower ceiling, admittedly, but significantly higher floor. Wouldn't take either at #9 though.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

They didn’t go after OBJ. Gettleman called Beane, who passed. They inquired about AB, but didn’t think he was worth the money. So no I’m not sold that value an elite WR, and i don’t think DK is that guy those other two are either. I think they value a proven WR more than the raw talent guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Top 10 Oline picks have some of the highest hit rates (aka not busts) versus most every other position. This can be an 8-year guy that you just don't have to worry about. WR's are much more risky historically.  We already have risk at the QB position, I would not double down on that with a risky WR. 

Here's hoping another team picking above the Bills likes him even more - if Metcalf goes in the Top 8, it pretty much guarantees Oliver to us, no? 2 Qbs, 2 Edge Rushers, I TE, I OT, 1DT  and 1 WR make up 8. And if a team falls in love with Sweat / Gary - we get to Oliver even if only one QB is taken in the top 8.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He needs to be an undisputed #1 receiver though.

Me too. Lower ceiling, admittedly, but significantly higher floor. Wouldn't take either at #9 though.

He does need to be a #1 receiver to be taken that high, absolutely. But I wouldn't take the higher floor player at 9. With that logic you'd take Christian Wilkins over Ed Oliver. I take the elite potential in the top 10 every time.

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Here's hoping another team picking above the Bills likes him even more - if Metcalf goes in the Top 8, it pretty much guarantees Oliver to us, no? 2 Qbs, 2 Edge Rushers, I TE, I OT, 1DT  and 1 WR make up 8. And if a team falls in love with Sweat / Gary - we get to Oliver even if only one QB is taken in the top 8.

The top 8 "locks" for me are:

Murray

Bosa

Williams

White

Allen

Taylor

The other two spots are harder to predict.

I’m actually at a point where I trust the FO to do what’s best for the team (somebody pinch me) as they have all along.

That being said, I don’t love Metcalf as a player, I don’t care for his injury history, and I don’t like the value of WR at 9 (especially with a lot of good talent to be had in round two). 

But if that’s who the commish announces for the Bills at 9, I’ll be a giant DK Metcalf fan. 

This guy at SI (which I forgot existed) saying it doesn’t make me any more confident it’ll happen- probably less actually. 

• Like (+1) 2