WR D. Thomas to the Cheats

4 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Say what y'all want about Thomas. He got TB12 throwing to him, not Case Keenum, Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler or Trevor Siemian.

Agree. He played 3 games with DeShaun Watson last year and had 2 touchdowns. He wasn't the guy he used to be but he showed he could still play. I am wary about receivers that age off achillies surgery but if he can get back to what he was in those 3 games with Houston he will contribute. If he can't he won't make it out of camp. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He played 3 games with DeShaun Watson last year and had 2 touchdowns. He wasn't the guy he used to be but he showed he could still play. I am wary about receivers that age off achillies surgery but if he can get back to what he was in those 3 games with Houston he will contribute. If he can't he won't make it out of camp. 

Smart players and hard workers are who the Pats look for. They don't care about past production as you can see by their other WR signings this offseason. BB puts players in position to play with their strengths and doesn't ask them to do things they can't. He wants to resurrect his career and this is the best place to do it. He'll play and contribute for this one year, win a SB, then go out and get vastly overpaid by another team and fail. Just like Revis, Moss, and almost all players BB doesn't resign. Flowers and Trent Brown will be exposed this season. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Don't forget he'll get the Rodney Harrison juice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

DT is no longer an impact player. I don't even think the Pats system can save him. He has become Anquan Boldin of his final years.

Possession WR with no wheels or size. Strong blocker like Boldin and crafty in the red zone but mostly done. That was before the injury too.

7 hours ago, Needle said:

DT is no longer an impact player. I don't even think the Pats system can save him. He has become Anquan Boldin of his final years.

Possession WR with no wheels or size. Strong blocker like Boldin and crafty in the red zone but mostly done. That was before the injury too.

...but, but according to ESPN, signing "bolsters WR unit".......

Pats bolster thin WR unit with Thomas signing-ESPN

The New England Patriots have signed Demaryius Thomas with hopes his addition can bolster an otherwise thin receiving group.

The team announced the moved Tuesday, less than a week after it had hosted Thomas on a free-agent visit.

8 hours ago, Needle said:

Agree. People always talk about all the receivers whose careers have been revitalized by Brady and the Pats. That take is really quite the misnomer. How many receivers went to NE but didn’t revitalize their careers? Far more have had their careers end with NE. The success of Moss really made everyone think that NE has a secret formula to help veteran receivers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree. People always talk about all the receivers whose careers have been revitalized by Brady and the Pats. That take is really quite the misnomer. How many receivers went to NE but didn’t revitalize their careers? Far more have had their careers end with NE. The success of Moss really made everyone think that NE has a secret formula to help veteran receivers. 

Not all receivers are willing to work as hard as they need to or are smart enough to succeed in NE.

I think if you were to look at the list of receivers who have had success in NE, but failed once they moved on, you would find it more impressive.

1 hour ago, ricko1112 said:

Not all receivers are willing to work as hard as they need to or are smart enough to succeed in NE.

I think if you were to look at the list of receivers who have had success in NE, but failed once they moved on, you would find it more impressive.

Some former Pats receivers have certainly failed when they have left NE,  but most washed up receivers they signed failed. Hard work and being smart have plenty to do with success, but guys do reach a point where they are simply done. The Pats have specialized in signing those type of players. Most of those guys were ineffective for the Pats. I expect the same from Thomas. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Some former Pats receivers have certainly failed when they have left NE,  but most washed up receivers they signed failed. Hard work and being smart have plenty to do with success, but guys do reach a point where they are simply done. The Pats have specialized in signing those type of players. Most of those guys were ineffective for the Pats. I expect the same from Thomas. 

When you're washed up, you're washed up... 

Still, they realize that if they can't succeed with TB12 as your QB, they're probably done. Decker and Wayne for instance. There are more examples of successes than failures though as far as FA signings. He can't draft WRs in the first couple rounds though. Late rounds sure.