What do you want your team to be good at?

If you could build a team based on end-of-year rankings of both offense (rushing and passing) and defense (rushing and passing), what would your preferred team be the best at?

Hypothetically, you were allocated 35 "points" for each side of the ball, each point is a league ranking, and they all had to be used. For example:

OFFENSE:

Passing: 5th

Rushing: 30th

5+30=35 points. Same goes for defense. How do you want your team to look? I think all of us want a stronger passing game than a rushing game, but are you okay with giving yourself one of the worst rushing games in the league? 

On defense, do you stop the other team's passing game totally, but get run on all day? How does game situations effect this? If you're getting run on all of the time, they will control time of possession and have your offense less effective.

Personally, I would go something like:

Offense:

Passing- 8th

Rushing- 27th

Defense:

Passing- 12th

Rushing- 23rd

The offense is still able to move the ball well through the air and can convert 3rd downs on short yardage situations on the ground, and can slow down the other team's passing game well enough to keep the game from becoming a track meet. I would hope to be able to stop the run better, but they still can slow the other team down well enough.

Serious reply for the sake of OP: Offensive Line

Thought provoking reply: Special Teams. Marv Levy was a huge proponent of Special Teams, and that led to four Super Bowl appearances. It helps that Tasker was on the roster.

Comedic but serious reply: in the words of Al Davis, Just Win Baby.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

Offense:

Passing- 8th

Rushing- 27th

Defense:

Passing- 12th

Rushing- 23rd

The offense is still able to move the ball well through the air and can convert 3rd downs on short yardage situations on the ground, and can slow down the other team's passing game well enough to keep the game from becoming a track meet. I would hope to be able to stop the run better, but they still can slow the other team down well enough.

More often than not, what you just described above wont be a very good team.  I mean how did you calculate that a team is good in short yard rushing situations if they are 27th in the NFL in rushing?  That means they are NOT a good rushing team, means they probably dont win the LOS which means they do not have a good short rush game.  

Defensively, 12th and 23rd means you are a pretty mediocre defense, and most likely not even in the top 15.  With a one dimensional offense that isnt even dominant in any category and mediocre to weak defense, this is not a good team in terms of championship contender.

In fact, there is no way to build a really good team based on this equation you only have 35 ranking points to divide into each unit.  That means you either have a team that is average at everything or good in a couple spots and terrible in others.  Not a recipe for a good team at all.  

So, no disrespect, but I dont want any team you make up this way.  I want to win a championship, and this equation isnt the path to get there. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1