Daniel Jeremiah mock #3 (Hockenson to Bills)

DJB

31 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Kahale Warring (6'5", 252) or Jace Sternberger (6'4" 251) could be options between the 3rd and the 5th.

They've had a private visit with Sternberger.

Both those guys had decent measurables at the combine, but Warring's blocking is sometimes referred to as atrocious and he had plenty of dropped passes. Sternberger also is someone who is a very poor blocker, but would work out well catching passes out of the TE flex option role. As far as YAC there were some comments that he goes down rather easily...still productive though.

I am admittedly biased towards Oliver.

The book on Oliver is a player who has a higher ceiling - getting better each year. He has great hands, good body control, good positioning on blocks but lacks some strength. The bio below is in line with most of what I have seen from other sources.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josh-oliver

Seems to be on the radar for a lot of teams. He is considered a later round target for the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Browns, Denver... mocked to a lot of teams.

Some of his highlight stuff on the Patriots prospect site. Video of San Jose St games are not going to be confused with videos done for Alabama :)

https://www.patriots.com/video/2019-draft-prospects-josh-oliver-te-san-jose

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually love Irv Smith in this offense because he can be used at big WR, TE, red zone, hback, and an excellent blocker. We have three taller TEs behind him, he’s more of an offensive weapon 

So no hope that Croom has a break out year in that role?

Irv Smith is a gamer, wont try to take that away from him.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't know... why don't you ask all the teams that have taken a Tackle #1 overall historically.

Because I'm not confused about what I mean when I say "contribute offensively", which I described quite clearly multiple times in this thread.

When you draft an OT that high, you're doing so because you believe that he's an elite pass protector and great run blocker, which means he's having a big impact on the game on every offensive snap.

If you intend to draft a TE in the top-10, then he better be a guy that is a great blocker and an elite pass catcher.  Because if he's not an elite pass catcher, then he's only going to be marginally more useful than playing an extra offensive lineman on every down...and that's not worth a top-10 pick.

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Because I'm not confused about what I mean when I say "contribute offensively", which I described quite clearly multiple times in this thread.

When you draft an OT that high, you're doing so because you believe that he's an elite pass protector and great run blocker, which means he's having a big impact on the game on every offensive snap.

If you intend to draft a TE in the top-10, then he better be a guy that is a great blocker and an elite pass catcher.  Because if he's not an elite pass catcher, then he's only going to be marginally more useful than playing an extra offensive lineman on every down...and that's not worth a top-10 pick.

You said what I've tried to convey over the years. Only you were much better and more concise then this old man is anymore . Different positions have different values and thus different considerations when drafting, especially in round 1

18 hours ago, JM57 said:

My stupid phone has lost my reply twice now. 

Did you just get that free phone for switching to "SPRINT" ?

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
Left off question mark

IDK man Hockenson is considered a consensus Top 10 prospect in this Draft. He’s instantly the most talented TE in Bills history. A future multiple time Pro Bowler and helps us in both the passing and running game. 

I’m not going to throw a tantrum if we take him even though the positional value isn’t great.

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

IDK man Hockenson is considered a consensus Top 10 prospect in this Draft. He’s instantly the most talented TE in Bills history. A future multiple time Pro Bowler and helps us in both the passing and running game. 

I’m not going to throw a tantrum if we take him even though the positional value isn’t great.

Shhhhh. You're gonna upset Cornette'sCommentary!

12 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I tend to agree. If Oliver is gone, I really hope we go in this direction. I will throw a tantrum if we take a RT or Andre Dillard. I'd much rather  take a shot on a guy like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Possible, see what OTs are still there and if any great player happens to slip.  I would prefer BPA and I dont think Hockendon would be close to BPA at 9, some players always slides.

I guess u don't value TEs that can block like a tackle in the run game and stretch the seems in the passing gm as well as lineup all over the field and create mismatches. I much rather have Hock then any of these offensive lineman in this draft. I believe the lineman are highly overrated in this draft. 

J Williams - doesn't even have a locked in position yet flexibility is great if your a bkup but for top 10 pk I want a guy that's solidified at his position and is really good not a maybe .

J Taylor- another guy people say can kick inside .  . That's a red flag.  We don't need a team full of Jacks of all trades masters of none. 

A Dilliard- Dilliard is a LT but never faced great comp in pac 12 and never needed to run block . 

43 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I guess u don't value TEs that can block like a tackle in the run game and stretch the seems in the passing gm as well as lineup all over the field and create mismatches. I much rather have Hock then any of these offensive lineman in this draft. I believe the lineman are highly overrated in this draft. 

J Williams - doesn't even have a locked in position yet flexibility is great if your a bkup but for top 10 pk I want a guy that's solidified at his position and is really good not a maybe .

J Taylor- another guy people say can kick inside .  . That's a red flag.  We don't need a team full of Jacks of all trades masters of none. 

A Dilliard- Dilliard is a LT but never faced great comp in pac 12 and never needed to run block . 

Hockenson is a better run blocker than Dillard is imo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I tend to disagree with the bolded.

When you have a really good receiving TE, he helps out the younger QBs immensely in that when the OC puts the TE in certain formations the defense has to reveal itself. To man or zone coverage and if the safety is here or there it will tell the QB which kind of man or which kind of zone so now the QB knows the defensive coverage before the ball is snapped. 

A good TE that can win outside as a receiver has become a very valuable chess piece in the better offenses as you can move him around the formation to get the look you want. Then if the Bills go two tight ends that can give a run look to the offense because this makes the defense gear up to stop the run. That receiving TE slips a block and he is open.

If I'm not mistaken Bills OC Brian Daboll was the Patriots TE coach for a number of years and he should be pounding the table for TJ Hockenson as this kid doesn't need much development and should make an instant impact and be an instant starter. TJ might be getting a lot of hype from the media...because he deserves it

The positional value hasn't been great in Buffalo over the years because they haven't had top NFL offensive coordinators who would even know how build a top passing scheme or to utilize a top tight end. The list of bums and nobody's in that offensive coordinator position in Buffalo has been astoundingly bad going back to after 2003 with Kevin Gilbride. Greg Roman, Anthony Lynn aside but those gentlemen were more suited to building a power run game. 

• Like (+1) 1