Daniel Jeremiah mock #3 (Hockenson to Bills)

DJB

Respect the hell out of DJ but don't think this is a great mock and not just because I'd be disappointed if the Bills picked Hock and left Devin White on the board. 

I do not see the Giants picking Daniel Jones at #6. No way. I am still not convinced they are taking a Quarterback in the 1st but if they are then there is no way it is Jones at #6. Jones at #17? Possible.

Ed Oliver going top 3 and ahead of Williams would not shock me mind you. I have him graded higher.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Respect the hell out of DJ but don't think this is a great mock and not just because I'd be disappointed if the Bills picked Hock and left Devin White on the board. 

I do not see the Giants picking Daniel Jones at #6. No way. I am still not convinced they are taking a Quarterback in the 1st but if they are then there is no way it is Jones at #6. Jones at #17? Possible.

Ed Oliver going top 3 and ahead of Williams would not shock me mind you. I have him graded higher.  

That Jones pick really sticks out. Seems a bit crazy, but he must have gotten some sniffs that the Giants really like Jones, and maybe a team like Cincy as well, maenaing the Giants have to take him at 6 if they want him. Who knows? 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That Jones pick really sticks out. Seems a bit crazy, but he must have gotten some sniffs that the Giants really like Jones, and maybe a team like Cincy as well, maenaing the Giants have to take him at 6 if they want him. Who knows? 

Supposedly, Jones has been rocketing up draft boards and there have been rumblings about Dwayne Haskins dropping.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Gronkowski, Kelce, Ertz, Hunter Henry, Tyler Higbee.  What's one thing that they all have in common?  NONE OF THEM were taken in the 1st round, let alone the top 10.

How did Hunter Henry and Tyler Higbee end up on this list?  I get your point and actually agree that TEs from the 2nd and 3rd round tend to be more successful but that is an eclectic list you've got there!

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Devin White will probably be gone...I would not hesitate to take him. Reminds me of Patrick Willis. I would find somewhere to put him.

"Listen, I know you guys don't believe me but I'm going to prove you guys wrong," Beane joked when the implication was made that he wouldn't draft a linebacker in the first round because it wouldn't fill a need.

Jumped out at me.  Everyone is talking about Olsen with Cam but how about the lb group from the Panthers?  Thomas Davis, Kuechly, Dan Morgan, Jon Beason, Shaq Thompson.  During his time with the Panthers McD always had elite lbs that cost a ton of draft capital..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, section122 said:

How did Hunter Henry and Tyler Higbee end up on this list?  I get your point and actually agree that TEs from the 2nd and 3rd round tend to be more successful but that is an eclectic list you've got there!

"Listen, I know you guys don't believe me but I'm going to prove you guys wrong," Beane joked when the implication was made that he wouldn't draft a linebacker in the first round because it wouldn't fill a need.

Jumped out at me.  Everyone is talking about Olsen with Cam but how about the lb group from the Panthers?  Thomas Davis, Kuechly, Dan Morgan, Jon Beason, Shaq Thompson.  During his time with the Panthers McD always had elite lbs that cost a ton of draft capital..

I get where you're going with it but Morgan was retired for 4 years and Davis had been a Panther for 6 years before McDermott arrived in Carolina in 2011. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why should the bar be outrageously high for a TE at #9...as opposed to say, a T or a G where the bar would be....well, who knows what it would be.

No rookie TE has had the season you describe since, what, Ditka?

Anyway....this would be a bold (well maybe not even very bold) pick in a position of need.  Do IT!  Come on McD---start clapping those hands for HOCK!!

Importance of the position.

2 hours ago, DJB said:

This team will only be successful if Josh Allen is successful.  Hockenson does that more than a DT

if we can't stop the other team then Allen will be on the sidelines.

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Devin White will probably be gone...I would not hesitate to take him. Reminds me of Patrick Willis. I would find somewhere to put him.

You'd put him in the middle because he is far better than the one we have now. Edmunds is better suited for the edge in the future IMO Further, if you have a very, very bad front seven, it's hard to justify a TE. in Round 1. 

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Importance of the position.

if we can't stop the other team then Allen will be on the sidelines.

And if we cant get sustainable drives and first downs it won't matter 

That's certainly possible in a scenario where Oliver, Q. Williams, J. Williams and Taylor are all gone in the top 8.  I would think in that set of draft circumstances, the choice would probably be between Hockenson, Gary, Burns, Wilkins, Metcalf, Dillard and Sweat.  I think one could make a case for any of them, but none is a no brainer.  You could also make a good case for a trade down if say Cincinnati wanted to jump ahead of Denver to make certain their QB was still there.  You'd still get your choice of players who fit your team and a bonus draft pick to boot.

13 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Wow Metcalf falls to round 2? 

There were rumblings about some teams seeing him go in the 2nd earlier this week 

17 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Daniel Jones is a lock to the Giants with Cutcliffe being his college coach.  Not sure at what pick, but Eli is already preparing for it and would love to work with Jones.

I can’t think of a more boring version of Eli than Daniel Jones

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

There were rumblings about some teams seeing him go in the 2nd earlier this week 

I can’t think of a more boring version of Eli than Daniel Jones

Both were coached by the same guy.  If the Giants get a Manning like career for Jones, I'm sure they would be thrilled.

Jeremiah must be throwing darts at a board for this one.

1 hour ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

You'd put him in the middle because he is far better than the one we have now. Edmunds is better suited for the edge in the future IMO Further, if you have a very, very bad front seven, it's hard to justify a TE. in Round 1. 

Who has a bad front 7, let alone what you have described.

59 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

That's certainly possible in a scenario where Oliver, Q. Williams, J. Williams and Taylor are all gone in the top 8.  I would think in that set of draft circumstances, the choice would probably be between Hockenson, Gary, Burns, Wilkins, Metcalf, Dillard and Sweat.  I think one could make a case for any of them, but none is a no brainer.  You could also make a good case for a trade down if say Cincinnati wanted to jump ahead of Denver to make certain their QB was still there.  You'd still get your choice of players who fit your team and a bonus draft pick to boot.

Trade down or take White