Daniel Jeremiah mock #3 (Hockenson to Bills)

DJB

10 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Ya I can see it. And I’d be quite happy with it.

Beane has done his best to add to the offensive line this offseason. Hockenson is also a tenacious run blocker.

Allen needs a reliable receiving “safety blanket.” Hockenson is a very good receiver.

He’d command attention over the middle and allow the outside speed to get downfield.

I’m not usually for taking a TE that high but if it came to be, I’d probably pump my fist and say something totally Jay_Fixity like “nice pick, gang.”

I've been "stanning" for Hockenson for a couple months now  Beane's quote yesterday got me excited at first, where he was saying they grade tight ends 3 ways and I thought that really was good for Hockenson since he is both a very capable blocker and receiver. 

However the more I've digested it I don't think he's the pick right now. That's just too obviously broadcasting your love for a guy, a la Doug Whaley.

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Unless you know for a fact that Hockenson is going to have a Tony Gonzalez/Gronkowski, Hall of Fame career, NO tight end is worth the 9th pick. Full stop.

But, if they trade down into the teens, then, sure, take Hockenson or Noah Fant if they're the BPA.  Otherwise, if Jeremiah's mock holds true, I'd rather take Rashan Gary or Montez Sweat at 9 than a freaking tight end.

You won't know for a fact that Gary, Sweat, or any player the Bills choose at 9 will be worth the pick - that is the nature of the draft. There is nothing to say that Hockenson won't be a better pick, or that the Bills' defense will be shredded every week if they don't pick a defensive player at 9....

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He better catch 70+ passes for 1,000+ yards if they pick him in the top 10

I'd be fine with 700-800 yards and a good red zone threat provided his blocking is as good as advertised. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Unless you know for a fact that Hockenson is going to have a Tony Gonzalez/Gronkowski-esque, Hall of Fame career, NO tight end is worth the 9th pick. Full stop.

But, if they trade down into the teens, then, sure, take Hockenson or Noah Fant if they're the BPA.  Otherwise, if Jeremiah's mock holds true, I'd rather take Rashan Gary or Montez Sweat at 9 than a freaking tight end.

You have no idea if Sweat or Gary will be any good either.  Bust rate is higher than 50% for DL in the top 10 just like every position.  

So so unless you know Gary or Sweat is going to be the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith then you don’t pass on Hockenson.  See what I did there, anyone can play the same “unless you know they will for sure be this or that” (which no one ever knows) game and make it sound like it’s logical.  But in the end, it’s not as no one knows what any of these players will be.

And if Hock was guaranteed to be the next Gonzalez, he would never make it out of the top 3.  There are no guarantees in a draft.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I also have a feeling that we are trading for Clark.  Was Dan Morgan with Seattle when Clark was drafted?

I suspect that's a possibility, and McCoy from Tampa is another possibility (if we don't go DT in the 1st). 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I'd love it but I'm doubtful.   Hock didn't make a visit to OBD and I'm 98% sure our first pick will be one of the guys who did...

We don’t know if he visited. The team does not report the visits. The visits are discovered when the player tells someone (usually in an interview) or the agent tells someone. Or he’s spotted in the airport, etc. No visits have been reported for Hockenson to any team.

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He better catch 70+ passes for 1,000+ yards if they pick him in the top 10

You are evaluating him incorrectly then. This isn't fantasy football.  The stuff Hockenson does at the line in both pass blocking and run blocking will have monumental effects on the rest of the offence.  Add in the fact teams will have to factor him in the short and intermediate range allowing our speed guys more room. 

Hockenson would be a home run selection 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Who's in the running for you for #9th pick?

For me, I'd love to land any of White, Oliver, or Allen...not sure any of the 3 will be there. If all are gone, I'm probably looking at Wilkins or Sweat.  If they think that Jawaan Taylor can play LT, then that's a guy you look at as well.

2 minutes ago, TOboy said:

I'd be fine with 700-800 yards and a good red zone threat provided his blocking is as good as advertised. 

I'd be fine with that from my TE1, but that, to me, is not anywhere near worth a top-10 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We don’t know if he visited. The team does not report the visits. The visits are discovered when the player tells someone (usually in an interview) or the agent tells someone. Or he’s spotted in the airport, etc. No visits have been reported for Hockenson to any team.

The hid the private Wyoming workout with Josh Allen pretty well last year too

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DJB said:

You are evaluating him incorrectly then. This isn't fantasy football.  The stuff Hockenson does at the line in both pass blocking and run blocking will have monumental effects on the rest of the offence.  Add in the fact teams will have to factor him in the short and intermediate range allowing our speed guys more room. 

Meanwhile, Star and Jordan Phillips struggle at stopping the run and putting any pressure on the QB.

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LMAO - someone give this guy a merit badge for most over dramatic post of the month.  

he needs to sit on the front porch with the guy from another thread that said almost the same thing he did but about the offense, not the defense...cant remember who it was but they went on a rant about not scoring more then 5 points a game if we went defense over offense

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The hid the private Wyoming workout with Josh Allen pretty well last year too

Allen did end up coming to OBD eventually. It was late. Just saying no visits have been reported at all for Hock anywhere that I’ve seen, and right now we only have 27 or so visits of the 30 that we know about. He could have visited without anyone knowing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DJB said:

Nope...you are failing to give weight to positional value. I can find a blocking TE that can also catch 40 passes in rounds 3-7.  If I'm spending a top-10 pick, I want an elite player.

Maybe you don't, and that's fine, but there's nothing incorrect about drafting for value over need.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

For me, I'd love to land any of White, Oliver, or Allen...not sure any of the 3 will be there. If all are gone, I'm probably looking at Wilkins or Sweat.  If they think that Jawaan Taylor can play LT, then that's a guy you look at as well.

I like white also, but aren't the Bills usually in a nickel base with just 2 LB's?...I like both Milano and Edmunds for that...who would you take out for White? ...would you draft White at 9 to play low snap counts?...just curious

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tsaikotic said:

I like white also, but aren't the Bills usually in a nickel base with just 2 LB's?...I like both Milano and Edmunds for that...who would you take out for White? ...would you draft White at 9 to play low snap counts?...just curious

If I draft White, I've got two thoughts on it:

1) I'm totally comfortable moving Edmunds to an EDGE position.  It takes advantage of his pass-rush ability, while still allowing him to be a coverage defender in sub-packages. Think of him as being groomed to take over for LorAx in another year.

2) We don't know if Milano will be healthy, so you've got White there to play that roles as well.