Do Bills pick up Shaq Lawsons 5th year option?

freester

Whether they pick up the option or extend him, either way I'd like for them to keep him a little longer. I just think he is a pretty solid player and he has gotten better and IMO will continue to get better. He did pretty good considering the playing time he had last season I thought.

At the very least you keep him for depth, but I believe he will continue to only get better. So we'll see. Hope they keep him around though myself.

Lawson is not worth the money they'd have to pay him. He's a 1st round bust, like the coach who insisted on drafting him.

(.....because his son was a bench player at Clemson at the time ?) 

Edited by I am the egg man

20 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Lawson is not worth the money they'd have to pay him. He's a 1st round bust, like the coach who insisted on drafting him.

(.....because his son was a bench player at Clemson at the time ?) 

The guy was universally considered a first round talent, and was even considered to have fallen in the draft.  Lets not act like it was an absurd pick at the time. 

And how in the world is he a bust?  Bust means washed out of the NFL or doesn't get a second contract.  Shaq may not be a star, but he certainly isn't a bust. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Nah. Work out an extension at a reasonable price. He’s a decent rotation guy but that’s about it. Even though he’s still young, I don’t see his pass rushing ability ever getting good enough to be more than a rotation guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freester said:

I hope so.  I thought it was  a mistake when we didn't pick up Sammy Watkins option year and I think this would be a similar mistake.  I have a hunch that Shaq could get traded either at the draft or shortly after. Not picking up his option will further reduce his trade value I really like him and think he's about to blossom into a really good player.

He's been at most a spot starter here, he'd really have to play well this year but I don't think he deserves the money. As I see him as amongst the top 30 in his position well lower than his guaranteed option would pay him.

Edited by The Jokeman

It seems to me Beane is waiting to see how the draft and trades flesh out in the next 2 weeks before he decides.

$10-11 million which is the estimate seems high for his past performance.

Shaq with his current salary is tradable so that might factor into it.

Trent Murphy's future has to be a factor too. 

Something will have to be give because I don't see Shaq/Murphy being worth over 20 million next year.

• Like (+1) 1

If forced to declare a Yes or No, I would say Yes.  He's a good football player who is young, has shown improvement and contributes to the team.  While the cost of the option is expensive, it's only 1 more year and the team has cap space, so it won't handcuff the team long-term.  As many have mentioned, a longer-term deal at a lower annual rate might be the better way to go, and I'm fine with that route too.  The bottom line is that not every player (even if they were drafted in the 1st round) is going to be an All-Pro, but there are plenty of good players who are not All-Pros but are valuable to have on your roster and you find a way to keep those guys.  I believe Lawson is one of those guys.  I guess I am agreeing with everyone, as I also agree that waiting to see how the draft and related trades pan out before making this decision is sensible.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This.  Didn't he also play inside a little bit?  I seem to remember he did pretty well, but I don't really know for sure.  But I love the idea. 

He did not make any plays when he was moved inside, from what I could see.

Not likely imho.  He is maturing, but, is just coming on to a level you might characterize as journeyman status.  Never going to be all league or all pro.  So, a top 10 salary doesn't make sense to me.......try to resign him, just don't pay top 10 DE compensation.  If somebody else overpays, so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

5th year options are only guaranteed for injury until the first day of the league year when they become fully guaranteed.  So if picked up it could be rescinded unless Lawson has an injury that will linger into next season.  Picking it up would set the expectations for guarantees and the basic average salary in his next contract however. That’s the issue.  If he’s not worth $11M guaranteed with close to that on average then they shouldn’t pick it up.  This year will go a long way to determining whether or not he’s worth that. 

I guess I’d pick it up and try to work out a LTD if he plays well enough to earn a big contract. And I’d rescind it and let him walk if he didn’t.  

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The poll here last month was like 70% yes. 

10-15 million is a lot for what he is tho

He's a 5-6 sacks a year guy. Similar to Kelsay. I say no at that price. I like Shaq's effort last year but we have to get someone impactful on the opposite side of Jerry.