Do Bills pick up Shaq Lawsons 5th year option?

freester

I hope so.  I thought it was  a mistake when we didn't pick up Sammy Watkins option year and I think this would be a similar mistake.  I have a hunch that Shaq could get traded either at the draft or shortly after. Not picking up his option will further reduce his trade value I really like him and think he's about to blossom into a really good player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He will probably never live up to his draft position but that’s not his fault, he’s gotten better every year and what more can you ask of a player? I don’t think they’re concerned with the 5th year option, cause I think they’ll sign him long term, especially now his value isn’t super high like if he had a breakout season with 10+ sacks 

A lot of these questions will be answered over the next 9 days.  Will Hughes be extended?  Will Lawson’s 5th year option be picked up?  Will they trade for Clark or Clowney? Would Hughes or Lawson be included in any trade?  Will they take DL in Round 1?  What about Ansah?  Lots of dominoes lined up and ready to fall.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, freester said:

I think he was alot more valuable last year than Trent Murphy.  Its not all about sacks.  He's good against the run and he's improved as a pass rusher.  Murphy got alot of money for little production.

I hate the hyper focus on sack numbers.  Last year, if Shaq had 6 more sacks, he would be at 10 total sacks.  Everyone would agree that if he had 10 sacks he would be worth the money.  But really, is less than .5 sacks per game really that big a deal? Does that really make a game changer? I don't think so.  

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I hate the hyper focus on sack numbers.  Last year, if Shaq had 6 more sacks, he would be at 10 total sacks.  Everyone would agree that if he had 10 sacks he would be worth the money.  But really, is less than .5 sacks per game really that big a deal? Does that really make a game changer? I don't think so.  

I also hate how sacks are counted. If hypothetically a guy had 8 half sacks that’s 8 good plays, but it shows up as 4 sacks. It should be separate numbers for example 5 sacks and 3 half sacks 

Also, what about having him gain 10 lbs and putting him inside? Heard Sal Capaccio say today on WGR that Ed Oliver’s playing weight will be around 270-275 so why not try Shaq there?

Edited by Chemical

8 minutes ago, freester said:

I think he was alot more valuable last year than Trent Murphy.  Its not all about sacks.  He's good against the run and he's improved as a pass rusher.  Murphy got alot of money for little production.

I agree. I suspect the FO is going into the season with him with an open mind and have no idea what they'll do with him at this point.

They definitely should do so. 

Lawson was a much improved player last year and he is TWENTY-FOUR year old, will get better and better over the next few years, could become a great player. In my view he will become an even more disruptive force this year, as he will get more playing time, due to his performance 1n 2018, and because of his experience last year.

Some of the players, like Murphy, that the Bills brought in last year may be out of the league in a few years and Lawson may be a pro bowler.

The old Bills would cut him loose; let's see how smart the new Bills are.  I say they sign him,  as they see what I see.

8 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I also hate how sacks are counted. If hypothetically a guy had 8 half sacks that’s 8 good plays, but it shows up as 4 sacks. It should be separate numbers for example 5 sacks and 3 half sacks 

Also, what about having him gain 10 lbs and putting him inside? Heard Sal Capaccio say today on WGR that Ed Oliver’s playing weight will be around 270-275 so why not try Shaq there?

This.  Didn't he also play inside a little bit?  I seem to remember he did pretty well, but I don't really know for sure.  But I love the idea.