What do you think we need on the ground from Shady, Gore (and for that matter Allen, too)?

Forgive me for I am one of those glass half filled guys.  I honestly believe it will be a bounce back year for Shady given the line improvements and I think Gore brings so much more to the table than just his 15,000 yards rushing.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that we may have two Hall of Fame RBs on our team at the same time, so forgive me if my rose colored Bills glasses stay on.  I will say this, though, if your name gets mentioned with the phrase "Hall of Fame", I doubt when an opportunity presents itself to move the needle forward for you or your team that you are the type that is going to shrink from that responsibility.

That said I reasonably think and hope that we get 1,600 yards from Shady and Frank.  I don't really care how you break it down, but I can imagine a 900-950 Shady and a 650-700 Gore.  I am not going to be the guy that crazily says we have two -thousand yard backs here because I just don't see that happening and I think the above would be acceptable with most Bills fans.

After that give me 480 from Allen this year.  A step down, but still a good sum given his skills and with a likely step back that Bills' coaches probably would like to see.  

As well, give me 10 yards per game from some other source.

All said that is 140 yards per game, which would have been 2nd in the NFL last year (Dallas was 2nd with a 139.something).

I would love it if it were more, but if your team is banging out 140 yards rushing in any way shape or form I think it sets up nicely for a hopefully and potentially balanced offense.

...don't get me started on a potential 3,600 yard passing season (the combined yards would put us 15th in O if it were 2018).

Your thoughts?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Forgive me for I am one of those glass half filled guys

It's a sad state of affairs that anyone feels a need to apologize for being an optimist on a FAN message board.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You wouldn't be wrong if you say my glass is half empty. I've been drinking the Kool-Aid and fully plan to refill the glass when I'm done and keep drinking. I don't understand the Negative Nellies who can't see how this Bills organization is different from the ones from the recent bleak years.  

This is a completely different team on offense from last year. Allen won't run like last year because he won't have to. He will average more than 10 yards/game. The threat of him running will also help out in the screen game. I'd be really happy if we add Bryce Love in the 4th and let his knee recover while Shady and Gore do their thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I see Shady having a big bounce back year and a much bigger role in the pass game, where he can be an absolute nightmare to defenses. 

Watching Gores film from last year, you'd think he was 7 years younger , he was fantastic really and as reliable as they come. 

I forget if it was Gase or the Phins OC but when talking about Gore said " if Frank says he'll get that 5 yards for the 1st down , he's getting that 1st down . He's the most reliable back I've had the pleasure of coaching." I think Gore will be a surprisingly productive back and can step in and be the #1 if needed. 

These OL brought in are maulers . The run game as a whole should be significantly improved.  This offense has some firepower at WR too. Foster/Beasly/Brown/Zay is a nice , dangerous , deep group of WR . 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I like that 1600 number. I would add being able to pop it off at around 4.5 a carry would really loosen things up from the pass game. 

I think that's all do-able.

Yeah - A major per-carry improvement from the RBs would be huge.  I'd like to see a young guy come in and get some touches too and allow us to use shady more in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

McCoy: 1,200 yards, 7 TD's

Gore: Doesn't matter. Anything is a bonus.

Allen: 700 yards, 6 TD's

Boy, MJS, I need my relief pitcher to do something, especially one the caliber of Gore.  If I had Nolan Ryan in his last couple of years i wouldn't just sit him.

Allen could do 700 and I don't have as big a problem with him doing it as some.  I just don't think the coaches are going to let that happen.

It occurred to me that maybe we brought in Gore to help Shady play longer. Many people thought Shady was  nearing the end of his career last year, but Beaner keep saying he was in our future plans. Someone like Gore can be a mentor to Shady, teaching him what it takes to be productive into your mid 30's and making it an HOF career. This would also rub off on the young bucks they bring in to eventually replace Gore, while Shady becomes Gore and passes on his knowledge to the next group. Shady can last 4-5 more years as an effective relief RB. 

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

It occurred to me that maybe we brought in Gore to help Shady play longer. Many people thought Shady was  nearing the end of his career last year, but Beaner keep saying he was in our future plans. Someone like Gore can be a mentor to Shady, teaching him what it takes to be productive into your mid 30's and making it an HOF career. This would also rub off on the young bucks they bring in to eventually replace Gore, while Shady becomes Gore and passes on his knowledge to the next group. Shady can last 4-5 more years as an effective relief RB. 

Solid points, BRD, but Gore is a tough back even at his age and I think they honestly brought him in for tough yards and leadership.

I will be thrilled, and yes shocked if Gore & Shady total 1,600 yards rushing.  If that happens and Allen doesn't regress,  i think we are playoff bound.

The fact they are (or might be) future HOFers is irrelevant to me, the relevant fact is both are extremely old and have a lot of miles on those tires.  I think it was far too risky have too aged RBs, frankly borderline ridiculous. If one of both just crap out no one should be shocked.  ANd also I dont think Shady gets into HOF unless he has a great year or two, Gore probably has done enough.

4 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Seriously, a mentor to Shady, if Shady needs a freakin mentor at his age he has some serious issues.  Shady should be mentoring other players.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

HGH? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

If the Bills fixed the Oline protection and Allen improves, then the run game will improve. The Bills need to be in more situations where they are playing with the lead than last season. When you have the lead you can run the ball more and complete short passes to keep the chains moving. Even in close games if the passing situation is improved, the defense has to respect it which allows you to be more productive on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I see Shady having a big bounce back year and a much bigger role in the pass game, where he can be an absolute nightmare to defenses. 

Watching Gores film from last year, you'd think he was 7 years younger , he was fantastic really and as reliable as they come. 

I forget if it was Gase or the Phins OC but when talking about Gore said " if Frank says he'll get that 5 yards for the 1st down , he's getting that 1st down . He's the most reliable back I've had the pleasure of coaching." I think Gore will be a surprisingly productive back and can step in and be the #1 if needed. 

These OL brought in are maulers . The run game as a whole should be significantly improved.  This offense has some firepower at WR too. Foster/Beasly/Brown/Zay is a nice , dangerous , deep group of WR . 

Just think what this OL could do with the help of a top level TE that can block and create mismatches like Hock... 

A set of 3 WR, 1 RB, and Hock... what are we going to do... run or pass? :)