Russell Wilson Reaches 4 Year $140 Million ($107 m guaranteed) extension with Seahawks

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Are you telling NFL players who want pensions, guaranteed contracts, and less games in the season to stop whining as well?

Yes.  

I have no guaranteed pension, or long term employment guarantee other than continued business contracts from the customers.

I get paid to show up and work, and if I B word to much I could possibly get reprimanded or moved to something less desirable or laid off.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Cousins is good.... not sure I'd go to "very good" but the offensive line and the play calling were the problems much more than Kirk. Their offensive line lost players to injury, retirement and FA from 2017 to 2018 and it showed.

The first big game Cousins wins will be his first. I get why the Vikings did it but he has always been kinda whatever.  He puts up numbers but do teams ever really fear him?  Plus, he’s a huge dork and I think his teammates don’t listen to him. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes.  

I have no guaranteed pension, or long term employment guarantee other than continued business contracts from the customers.

I get paid to show up and work, and if I B word to much I could possibly get reprimanded or moved to something less desirable or laid off.

Stop ?comparing ? your ? job ? to ? athletes ? who ? make ? billions ? of ? dollars ?.  

Im sorry bro but you’re a lot less valuable than Russell Wilson.  And if Wilson isn’t good enough, he will get replaced.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The first big game Cousins wins will be his first. I get why the Vikings did it but he has always been kinda whatever.  He puts up numbers but do teams ever really fear him?  Plus, he’s a huge dork and I think his teammates don’t listen to him. 

All of which is fair. And I wouldn't have paid him the deal he got and said so here all last offseason when some wanted the Bills to sign him. That said, he was definitely not the reason the Vikings sucked last year compared to expectations. That was offensive line 1st and John DeFilippo 2nd. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes.  

Agreed on the top

But I'm replaceable, even though I'm great at my job

Top athletes aren't replaced on LinkedIn

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Stop ?comparing ? your ? job ? to ? athletes ? who ? make ? billions ? of ? dollars ?.  

Im sorry bro but you’re a lot less valuable than Russell Wilson.  And if Wilson isn’t good enough, he will get replaced.  

This.

• Like (+1) 1

WOW !! These poor guys i just can't understand how they will be able to survive on such a salary they may have to do with out a few things but maybe if they scrimp & be frugal when they go to the grocery store they might be able to make ends meet poor guys !!  ?

Oh & now might be a good time to say to all those haters that said he was to small, he would never make it in the NFL, & all the other crap they said about Wilson when he was coming out of college .

I told you so ? !!  I wanted him to be one of our picks from the get go (the second coming of Flutie) he more than proved him self in college & i for one thought he was going to be a awesome QB playing with the bigger guys despite his size !! 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

At that price I'll raise my hand saying they should have traded him IF (and that is a big IF) they got a good offer for he is not worth $35 million a year.  

He's a top 3 QB in the league and has very little around him.  The Hawks are a 3-4 win team without Russell.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

At that price I'll raise my hand saying they should have traded him IF (and that is a big IF) they got a good offer for he is not worth $35 million a year.  

Wilson is, and has been a top 5 QB and honestly, probably top 3 or 4 most of his career.  He is a SB champion and has had to shoulder the Seattle offense mostly himself the last few years behind a weak OL, mediocre weapons, and a run game that hasn't been as effective with the OL issues.

The 2 years before Russell with most of the Legion of Boom in place and Marshawn Lynch, they were 7-9 both years and Lynch averaged less than 4 ypc.  As a rookie, Russel took mostly the same roster to 11 wins, then 13 wins, and then 12 wins over his first 3 years in the league including 2 SB appearances and a SB Championship.  Lynch yards per carry jumped way up with Wilson during those next 3 years by nearly a full yard per carry, and all of this was without a premiere WR or TE.  

Seahawks have averaged nearly 11 wins a season since Wilson joined them and only missed playoffs once during their 9-7 season 2 years ago.  The 3 years before him, they averaged less than 6 wins a season despite having several key members of the LOB on D, Carrol, and Lynch during most that time (all the things people give credit to before they give credit to Wilson).

How anyone still downplays how good Wilson is still blows my mind.  He has carried a mediocre offensive since he entered the league, and the last few years he has to do it behind a pretty bad OL, lots of injuries to key players on the offense, and a declining defense who lost players to injury and Free Agency.  

He deserves every penny he got and Seattle would have been foolish to trade him away as it will be nearly impossible to find another QB who will be as good or better than Wilson.  And lets say they made the trade and found a guy that was 75% as good as Willson...that lesser QB will still command a similar, maybe even bigger contract than what Wilson got as soon as his rookie deal expired.  See Kap, Tannehill, Carr, Stafford, Flacco, etc who all got massive deals despite not being nearly as good as Wilson is.  And each year, those contracts get more and more expensive.  

So pay the ELITE QB now, before you pay a lesser QB the same 4 years from now.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Guess what All teams will be paying their Good players that Much. So guess there will be no SuperBowl going forward. 

No there will be a Super Bowl. Just that the highest pd QB teams will not be there.

I am sure one team will buck the odds and possibly get there, but odds are clearly stacked against it happening.

History backs up our opinion here:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

Edited by cba fan

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wilson is, and has been a top 5 QB and honestly, probably top 3 or 4 most of his career.  He is a SB champion and has had to shoulder the Seattle offense mostly himself the last few years behind a weak OL, mediocre weapons, and a run game that hasn't been as effective with the OL issues.

The 2 years before Russell with most of the Legion of Boom in place and Marshawn Lynch, they were 7-9 both years and Lynch averaged less than 4 ypc.  As a rookie, Russel took mostly the same roster to 11 wins, then 13 wins, and then 12 wins over his first 3 years in the league including 2 SB appearances and a SB Championship.  Lynch yards per carry jumped way up with Wilson during those next 3 years by nearly a full yard per carry, and all of this was without a premiere WR or TE.  

Seahawks have averaged nearly 11 wins a season since Wilson joined them and only missed playoffs once during their 9-7 season 2 years ago.  The 3 years before him, they averaged less than 6 wins a season despite having several key members of the LOB on D, Carrol, and Lynch during most that time (all the things people give credit to before they give credit to Wilson).

How anyone still downplays how good Wilson is still blows my mind.  He has carried a mediocre offensive since he entered the league, and the last few years he has to do it behind a pretty bad OL, lots of injuries to key players on the offense, and a declining defense who lost players to injury and Free Agency.  

He deserves every penny he got and Seattle would have been foolish to trade him away as it will be nearly impossible to find another QB who will be as good or better than Wilson.  And lets say they made the trade and found a guy that was 75% as good as Willson...that lesser QB will still command a similar, maybe even bigger contract than what Wilson got as soon as his rookie deal expired.  See Kap, Tannehill, Carr, Stafford, Flacco, etc who all got massive deals despite not being nearly as good as Wilson is.  And each year, those contracts get more and more expensive.  

So pay the ELITE QB now, before you pay a lesser QB the same 4 years from now.  

All great points, but how will Seattle be able to assemble a cast around him that's good enough to win? More likely, the Seahawks guaranteed that they have zero chance of winning in January/February... 

7 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

All great points, but how will Seattle be able to assemble a cast around him that's good enough to win? More likely, the Seahawks guaranteed that they have zero chance of winning in January/February... 

I get your point, but also at the same time I don't get what you propose a team do. 

For years, most people on here have pleaded that the only way to a Super Bowl today is with a great QB and passing game.  Yet those same people don't want to pay said franchise QB.  So how do you propose you get a great QB and also don't pay him when his contract is up?  The only way to do that is to draft a QB who can be as impactful and good as Wilson during his rookie contract then trade him before paying him and hope to do the same.  Which is nearly impossible to do once, let alone repeatedly do every 4 to 5 years to avoid paying top dollar for your QB.

In the end, if you want a top 10 franchise QB, its going to cost a massive contract as any young QB in the top 10 will get near top of the market money on his first contract after his rookie deal.  Thats just the way it is today.  We live in a world where guys like Cousins, Kap, Carr, Tannehill, Stafford, etc were at one point the highest paid players or among the highest paid in NFL history.  None of them are nearly as good as Wilson nor have been able to propel their teams the way Wilson has done for all 7 years he has been in the league.

So if you want a top end franchise QB, there is no way around eventually paying him a massive contract.  This is why its so imperative to build through the draft, so imperative to be smart on contracts, etc.  All things so far our own Beane has impressed me with too.  

And while I hated (then and now) the contracts guys like Carr, Cousins, Stafford, etc got...there are those special players that deserve every penny they get and are worth it because they can single handedly carry their side of the football.  And Wilson is one of those rare people along with guys like Brees, Brady, and Rogers.  There are not many players in the NFL that can single handedly be the difference of 5 to 7 more wins a season.  Wilson is in that rare category.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get your point, but also at the same time I don't get what you propose a team do. 

For years, most people on here have pleaded that the only way to a Super Bowl today is with a great QB and passing game.  Yet those same people don't want to pay said franchise QB.  So how do you propose you get a great QB and also don't pay him when his contract is up?  The only way to do that is to draft a QB who can be as impactful and good as Wilson during his rookie contract then trade him before paying him and hope to do the same.  Which is nearly impossible to do once, let alone repeatedly do every 4 to 5 years to avoid paying top dollar for your QB.

In the end, if you want a top 10 franchise QB, its going to cost a massive contract as any young QB in the top 10 will get near top of the market money on his first contract after his rookie deal.  Thats just the way it is today.  We live in a world where guys like Cousins, Kap, Carr, Tannehill, Stafford, etc were at one point the highest paid players or among the highest paid in NFL history.  None of them are nearly as good as Wilson nor have been able to propel their teams the way Wilson has done for all 7 years he has been in the league.

So if you want a top end franchise QB, there is no way around eventually paying him a massive contract.  This is why its so imperative to build through the draft, so imperative to be smart on contracts, etc.  All things so far our own Beane has impressed me with too.  

And while I hated (then and now) the contracts guys like Carr, Cousins, Stafford, etc got...there are those special players that deserve every penny they get and are worth it because they can single handedly carry their side of the football.  And Wilson is one of those rare people along with guys like Brees, Brady, and Rogers.  There are not many players in the NFL that can single handedly be the difference of 5 to 7 more wins a season.  Wilson is in that rare category.  

Agree 100%.  I don't understand those who say Wilson is not "elite".  To me, he's clearly in the same category as Brees, Brady, Rogers and Roethlisberger, and is easily better than the next tier of Rivers, Manning, Ryan, and Stafford.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

8.4% hey?

Wasn't there a mention that the Cheats pay his foundation or something like that so he gets way more without it being official player salary?

That's my understanding.  Tom Brady set up the TB12 Sports Center with his long time guru/pal Guerrero and the Patriots pay him to treat and provide services to their players.
But the NFL says it's OK so it must be

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

I’m disappointed in Wilson for basically tanking the team. What will he do with all that money? I hope if it gets to that point with Josh, where he reaches that level, that he’ll do the Brady home team discount. These QB contracts kill their team’s ability to win Super Bowls. Just seems selfish to me that he is handicapping the guys that are stuck in a deal for the next few years. The guys who actually put their bodies on the line every week. The Brady discount is the most under appreciated aspect of that dynasty. While Brees and Rodgers ensure their team will no longer win, Brady swoops in and takes all the glory.

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I’m disappointed in Wilson for basically tanking the team. What will he do with all that money? I hope if it gets to that point with Josh, where he reaches that level, that he’ll do the Brady home team discount. These QB contracts kill their team’s ability to win Super Bowls. Just seems selfish to me that he is handicapping the guys that are stuck in a deal for the next few years. The guys who actually put their bodies on the line every week. The Brady discount is the most under appreciated aspect of that dynasty. While Brees and Rodgers ensure their team will no longer win, Brady swoops in and takes all the glory.

So the Seahawks are done?  Got it...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac‏Verified account @spotrac 3h3 hours ago

@spotrac

In terms of percentage of the cap, Russell Wilson’s $35M AAV represents 18.6% in 2019.

Aaron Rodgers: 18.9%

Matt Ryan: 16.9%

Matthew Stafford: 16.1%

Kirk Cousins: 15.8%

Andrew Luck: 15.8%

Jimmy Garoppolo: 15.5%

Derek Carr: 14.9%

Nick Foles: 11.6%

Tom Brady: 8.4%

What?

Brady is listed at 22 and 27 mil vs the cap for 2018 and 2019

Rodgers is about 21 and 27 mil for 2018 and 2019

This is by both sport Trac and otc

7 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

What discount?

Maybe in the past with a restructuring but currently he's near the top

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's my understanding.  Tom Brady set up the TB12 Sports Center with his long time guru/pal Guerrero and the Patriots pay him to treat and provide services to their players.
But the NFL says it's OK so it must be

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

His 2018 and 2019 cap numbers are 22 and 27 million

Maybe they still paid him this way but currently he's near the top of the heap cap #wise

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

No there will be a Super Bowl. Just that the highest pd QB teams will not be there.

I am sure one team will buck the odds and possibly get there, but odds are clearly stacked against it happening.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/30/highest-paid-quarterbacks-arent-making-the-playoffs-rodgers-garoppolo-cousins-ryan/

So in two years when Wilson is no longer the highest paid and the contract looks cheap they will go back and be used in future arguments that the highest paid dont go to the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Ah yes the post from the USAtoday blogger who doesn’t even use his last name. Compelling evidence right there counselor. I’d go into correlation does not imply...ah, you know what, nevermind. 

Why is it so hard to understand this deal is MARKET RATE. The cap goes up every year. Wilson is not, in any possible way, “kneecapping” his team. He IS most of the team at this point.

Some of you are so out of touch with today’s NFL it’s truly baffling.

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Like (+1) 1