Russell Wilson Reaches 4 Year $140 Million ($107 m guaranteed) extension with Seahawks

Eventually a team is going to cave and go % of the Cap. 

5 year deal 15%. With 5% guaranteed each year 

then again might not happen until players can start getting fully guaranteed contracts. 

Also when it comes to QB it is a very easy decision. When you have a top one he doesn’t leave the team. 

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Basketball and baseball players get paid too damn much IMO.  

what really makes me laugh with Basketball players...  they take "time off"  as it suits them.

If I pay to go to a game I better see a top paid player out there giving 100% and no excuses.  If he's not playing he better have a serious enough injury. 

IF he does ....  He's young and would then be worthy of bringing  the team to greatness and keeping them there. 

You realize that many times coaches rest their best players to prevent injury

They don't do it as it suits them

They also play a ridiculously grueling schedule

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I think he is a good QB because he has a team to support him and the team will not be as good when the money going into his pocket could fund 3-4 good players.

They totally dismantled his offensive line. They let his best receiver walk, they traded his all pro running back and replaced him by a committee of averageness and then they started to rebuild his dominant defense around him. Russell just keeps performing and keeps on winning.

He isn't an "elite" Quarterback in my view.... at least not yet..... but he is very, very good. He is somewhere around the 5th - 7th best QB in the league and most of those guys ahead of him (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben possibly Rivers...) are much older than Wilson. He is as good as anyone else in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wo-Bah said:

I respectfully disagree.  Again, I reiterate - no athlete is worth that kind of money.  He's a decent QB, but, no.

Respectfully, I completely disagree.  Who should get the billions of dollars generated from the nfl? The owners??? These guys makes billions for schools and old guys in college and don’t get a dime back.  Now they pay a sport where your career can end on one play and don’t have a guaranteed contracts.  They deserve every penny.

and I was slow on the Wilson train.  I thought he was just a guy along for the ride with a great defense.  But even though he is a total weirdo, he is awesome.  And he does it with average, no high draft pick receivers behind a sucky oline.  The great ones elevate those around him and he does that.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think he is a good QB because he has a team to support him and the team will not be as good when the money going into his pocket could fund 3-4 good players.

He has one of the worst rosters in football!! He took them to the playoffs last year. 

This is was an easy decision for Seattle. He’s a top 5 QB that just turned 30. He’s a guy that you make a Seahawk for life.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

RW is a very good QB.  The guaranteed $ alone is 26.75 per year.

IMO I think its too much for a guy who isn't a Top 5 QB or a rising star like Mahomes. 

Of the $140 million extension  - $65 million signing bonus.  Not to mention what it does to their Cap.

Spotrac  Cap # for Seattle 

Team Signed Total 51 Cap Space
Seattle Seahawks 66 10,897,527

ACTIVE PLAYERS (66)
POS.
BASE SALARY
SIGNING BONUS
ROSTER BONUS
OPTION BONUS
WORKOUT BONUS
RESTRUC. BONUS
MISC.
DEAD CAP
CAP HIT
CAP %
Russell Wilson QB $17,000,000 $6,200,000 - - - $2,086,668 - - $25,286,668 13.25

RW is a top 5 qb.  His oline sucks.  His receivers are a bunch of whatever guys.  And they run the ball a lot.  In another offense, RW could have monster numbers.  

• Like (+1) 1

The thing is-not only is QB the hardest position in the NFL but it is also the hardest position to master in all of sports. Very few people can do it at Wilson's level. 

Edited by Toesy
misprint
  • Like (+1) 1

Wilson is an excellent QB and should be paid with the elite.

That said I wonder if teams will try to develop a second option that will be cheaper.  The reality is that when you pay one position that much, you need to go cheaper at other positions. You need a great, well paid QB who can carry a team or a very good, cheap first contract QB you can build around.  It will be a mistake to pay a top rated to an average QB.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

Wilson is an excellent QB and should be paid with the elite.

That said I wonder if teams will try to develop a second option that will be cheaper.  The reality is that when you pay one position that much, you need to go cheaper at other positions. You need a great, well paid QB who can carry a team or a very good, cheap first contract QB you can build around.  It will be a mistake to pay a top rated to an average QB.  

Indeed - Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Matt Stafford are the difficult contract decisions. Russell Wilson is a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed - Derek Carr, Dak Prescott and Matt Stafford are the difficult contract decisions. Russell Wilson is a no brainer.

Agreed.

I do think QBs are sneaking up into a bigger cap% (I could be wrong) and it's a tough balance to keep an elite QB vs paying the rest of the roster

It's even tougher with guys like who you listed who are borderline top tier but just not quite there, but are still very hard to replace

The Seahawks will quickly learn the pain of the Packers.  Spending all that money on one position means you'll be forced to surround him with a sometimes good, often mediocre team of players and it makes the margin for error with draft picks absurdly small.    

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The Seahawks will quickly learn the pain of the Packers.  Spending all that money on one position means you'll be forced to surround him with a sometimes good, often mediocre team of players and it makes the margin for error with draft picks absurdly small.    

The salary cap increases every year and new TV contracts will increase it even more. The Seahawks will be fine...plenty of money for everyone

11 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

I do think QBs are sneaking up into a bigger cap% (I could be wrong) and it's a tough balance to keep an elite QB vs paying the rest of the roster

It's even tougher with guys like who you listed who are borderline top tier but just not quite there, but are still very hard to replace

I agree except there's no sneaking involved.  They are marching right up there openly.

And you're right, it's not a difficult call for a legit top tier guy.    It's the "is he or isn't he?" crowd that will give GMs ulcers.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Cousins thing works for the Vikings.

• Like (+1) 1

Not a prolific yard machine. But,

-extremely accurate 

-arguably the most mobile established QB in nfl

-nearly Aaron Rodgers like career passer rating (second all time) 

- 6x PB in 7 years 

-Super Bowl champ

-face of franchise & media darling 

-Barely 30 yo

-7.9 ypa 

-elite W/L record 

-212 career tds 

Easy to see why he's worth kirk Cousins/Matt Ryan money to Seattle. 

Biggest issue with the Hawks is their other stars got old and their streak of incredible drafting is over.

Paying RW is a no brianer 

Obviously no QB at Wilson's level has ever been traded or released-this would have been the first so it was always a long shot-I wonder who were the top QBs who moved-I have no idea-I would guess Montana and maybe Favre-I don't know which guy was the stronger QB at the time they moved out.  

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree except there's no sneaking involved.  They are marching right up there openly.

And you're right, it's not a difficult call for a legit top tier guy.    It's the "is he or isn't he?" crowd that will give GMs ulcers.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Cousins thing works for the Vikings.

Cousins is good

Very good imo

I think their coaching and schemes was the issue

Shurmur drove that offense and they didn't replace him properly