Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

We owe France for our independence.  Ever hear of Marquis de Lafayette?  France is our oldest friend. Taking cheap shots at an old friend during a French tragedy is no way to treat an old friend

My kin Casimir Pulaski was at valley forge , saved the life of Washington in battle , gave him his fortune for the cause and is father of the American cavalry...

we owe Poland too! No more polack jokes ?

seriously prayers for France ?? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

We owe France for our independence.  Ever hear of Marquis de Lafayette?  France is our oldest friend. Taking cheap shots at an old friend during a French tragedy is no way to treat an old friend

No.  You see, I’ve never studied American history. Do we really owe him our independence?  Were there actual heroics involved, or was he just a French dandy in a pretty uniform riding around on a horse? ?

We also owe a huge debt to General Casimir Pulaski, who came from Poland to join the Continental army and laid down his life, but you don’t hear much about him.

Whatever we ‘owe’ France, we paid back in spades at Normandy.

Edited by The Senator

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

No.  You see, I’ve never studied American history. Do we really owe him our independence?  Were there actual heroics involved, or was he just a French dandy in a pretty uniform riding around on a horse? ?

We also owe a huge debt to General Casimir Pulaski, who came from Poland to join the Continental army and laid down his life, but you don’t hear much about him.

Whatever we ‘owe’ France, we paid back in spades at Normandy.

I can see why you were such a hit in France

I will give you one tidbit about Lafayette.  He exported soil from Washington's plot and Lafayette is buried in American soil in France.  Lafayette is one of the coolest people in history

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can see why you were such a hit in France

Actually, I was quite a hit.  Was there to study music theory and composition with Nadia Boulanger.

Played a recital consisting of entirely French composers - Jean Phillipe Rameau, Francois Couperin, Maurice Ravel, Gabriel Faure, and Claude Debussy.

What little they said afterwards that I could understand, I think was mostly nice.

Edited by The Senator

35 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I remember when they refused to join the coalition against Iraq in 2003 - I swore I’d never drive another Puegot, and never have.

Which led to a famous quote from a then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense.

"Going to   war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordian..."

I never found them any different that anyone else, but witnessed one of the strangest behaviors ever.

After 9-11, we stayed in hotels near the DeGaulle airport for a couple months because of security.

The hotel would  provide twice daily bus transport to downtown Paris, dropping us off at the Quartier de l'Opera, and pick us up three hours later.

One day, as we were approaching the downtown area, I was sitting on the right side. There was a small car on our right who was trying to get into our lane, but our driver would not allow him in.

This went on for about three traffic lights, with horns blowing and gestures made.

Finally, while at a light, the elderly man driving the small vehicle jumps out of his car and bangs on the bus door.

Our driver opens the door, gets out of his seat, and goes down the three stairs to confront the old man.

He then head butts the man, leaving a bleeding wound to his forehead.

The man's elderly companion, who I assume was his wife, is screaming.

A couple of blocks later, but only about a block from the drop off point, the police stop the bus at a light and take the driver off.

We all left and walked.

Quite bizarre, but kind of funny.

Edited by sherpa
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

Well, they’re speculating it started in the spire, ‘cause flames were spotted on the roof first.  Can’t imagine how they’d cause a spark up there, unless they were welding.

Those Parisians all smoke like chimneys, so I guess I could see someone tossing a butt or a match.

I’m still thinking it started in that huge open air nave, with all those candles and wood, and all that oxygen to fan the flames.

Whatever. We may never know the truth. I am not afraid to say that this very possibly was an act of terrorism.

22 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Which led to a famous quote from a then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense.

"Going to   war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordian..."

I never found them any different that anyone else, but witnessed one of the strangest behaviors ever.

After 9-11, we stayed in hotels near the DeGaulle airport for a couple months because of security.

The hotel would  provide twice daily bus transport to downtown Paris, dropping us off at the Quartier de l'Opera, and pick us up three hours later.

One day, as we were approaching the downtown area, I was sitting on the right side. There was a small car on our right who was trying to get into our lane, but our driver would not allow him in.

This went on for about three traffic lights, with horns blowing and gestures made.

Finally, while at a light, the elderly man driving the small vehicle jumps out of his car and bangs on the bus door.

Our driver opens the door, gets out of his seat, and goes down the three stairs to confront the old man.

He then head butts the man, leaving a bleeding wound to his forehead.

The man's elderly companion, who I assume was his wife, is screaming.

A couple of blocks later, but only about a block from the drop off point, the police stop the bus at a light and take the driver off.

We all left and walked.

Quite bizarre, but kind of funny.

Only “kind of funny”?  That’s freaking hysterical!

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

My kin Casimir Pulaski was at valley forge , saved the life of Washington in battle , gave him his fortune for the cause and is father of the American cavalry...

we owe Poland too! No more polack jokes ?

seriously prayers for France ?? 

And kids in Chicago get "Pulaski Day" off every year!  It's a city holiday.

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Whatever. We may never know the truth. I am not afraid to say that this very possibly was an act of terrorism.

I would venture that it is far more likely connected to the renovation construction of the spire, but speculating about it is pointless. 

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nor I, but terrorists usually try for a huge human life toll.

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Can you please stop posting in this thread?

If you’ve been here since before 2003, you can make that request.

Edited by The Senator

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I pray that is not the case, that would be horrible.

As far as I know, that has already been ruled out.  Sounds like it was started up in the roof somewhere where all the construction work was going on.  I'd be really surprised if that is not discovered to be the cause of the fire.  There may be workers who already know exactly how it was started. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And kids in Chicago get "Pulaski Day" off every year!  It's a city holiday.

He deserves it! He met Ben Franklin in Paris and he persuaded Pulaski to come to America and give all his money to the revolution and help train troops

he died for this country that wasn’t even his own... but it’s mine now

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I have been to France several times, and I found French people to be gracious and kind.  Sure they hate our President but they don't like theirs either.  They like good Americans IMO.  They don't care for idiot Americans, but either do I

Agreed. I’ve never had a bad experience there. If you make an effort with the language, not even a ton, and are generally not as ass, people are nice everywhere. I love Paris. 

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Has she gotten the hint yet?

Her itinerary, set months in advance, had her in Paris when Diana died and in London for her funeral.

She just arrived in Paris 2 days ago and the first thing she did was visit Notre Dame and send us pictures.

The fire is now under control.