Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Just heartbreaking to see the people in Paris standing in stunned silence  or crying or singing hymns together. I am deeply saddened by this and I have only visited Paris once - I can't imagine what it would feel like if I considered it a central part of my home and a national source of pride.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

God bless the people of Paris

may the Holy Spirit be with them in this time... 1000 years of history... relics of Christ 

let everything be saved

Well, I get the sentiment, but most Parisians hate America, and Americans.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

God bless the people of Paris

may the Holy Spirit be with them in this time... 1000 years of history... relics of Christ 

let everything be saved

“Good news: all the works of art were saved,” reported French journalist Nicolas Delesalle. “The treasure of the Cathedral is intact, the Crown of thorns, the Holy sacraments.”

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-fire-at-notre-dame-cathedral-has-spread-to-rectangular-tower-20190415

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m not an American. I am a Catholic 

My apologies.  I am also a Catholic, and an American.

Civus Romanus?  You are a citizen of Rome maybe?

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You speak for most Parisians, huh?  

Only the ones I’ve met.

33 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I've spent time in Paris, and other parts of France, for more than a full month in total. I've never encountered what you're speaking about. 

12 minutes ago, MDH said:

I've spent time in Paris, and other parts of France, for more than a full month in total. I've never encountered what you're speaking about. 

so the whole world loves the US and Americans?

Thanks, I never suspected that.

Or you are basing this on minimal chatter or being extremely duplicious here....  :D

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

so the whole world loves the US and Americans?

Thanks, I never suspected that.

Or you are basing this on minimal chatter or being extremely duplicious here....  :D

I'm basing what? I never made a claim other than what I, personally, encountered in my time in France. Pretty much everybody I had interactions with were no more rude than anywhere else in the world. Most people were gracious and welcoming and you had a few asshats. That's life everywhere.

28 minutes ago, The Senator said:

My apologies.  I am also a Catholic, and an American.

Civus Romanus?  You are a citizen of Rome maybe?

Only the ones I’ve met.

Technically I am an American citizen... but I identify as a Catholic first and my prayers are with my brothers and sisters in Christ in France 

18 minutes ago, MDH said:

I'm basing what? I never made a claim other than what I, personally, encountered in my time in France. Pretty much everybody I had interactions with were no more rude than anywhere else in the world. Most people were gracious and welcoming and you had a few asshats. That's life everywhere.

I found just the opposite to be true - some were kind, polite, gracious, but most were very abrupt and rude.

I suppose it helps if you speak the language.  I am not fluent at all, my French is very poor.

I remember when they refused to join the coalition against Iraq in 2003 - I swore I’d never drive another Puegot, and never have.

We were spilling bottles of Dom and fine French wine down storm sewers, and re-named French Fries...

BB7AE66E-7CDB-4F05-B755-C73E4C9A2A3E.jpeg

Edited by The Senator

57 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I have been to France several times, and I found French people to be gracious and kind.  Sure they hate our President but they don't like theirs either.  They like good Americans IMO.  They don't care for idiot Americans, but either do I

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I have been to France several times, and I found French people to be gracious and kind.  Sure they hate our President but they don't like theirs either.  They like good Americans IMO.  They don't care for idiot Americans, but either do I

And they should.  If it weren’t for good Americans, they’d be speaking German.

• Like (+1) 1