Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He deserves it! He met Ben Franklin in Paris and he persuaded Pulaski to come to America and give all his money to the revolution and help train troops

he died for this country that wasn’t even his own... but it’s mine now

President Kennedy, 1962, Pulaski Parade, Buffalo...

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/buffalospoloniahistory/pulaskiparade1962.html

(Few realize that he left in quite a hurry, after learning about the missiles in Cuba.)

7E87A168-9AB5-4CBA-A90E-C04B054B3CD0.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The Senator said:

(Few realize that he left in quite a hurry, after learning about the missiles in Cuba.)

Broadway! 

My uncle managed the Broadway Market and hired me when I was just 15. Rode the Broadway bus from downtown after school every day for almost a year. Pulaski Day was a big deal there.

Edited by Turk71

13 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Looks like Casper cornered the market in jewelry and cameras back then... LoL... I guess two kinda go together.

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Broadway! 

My uncle managed the Broadway Market and hired me when I was just 15. Rode the Broadway bus from downtown after school every day for almost a year. Pulaski Day was a big deal there.

Yeah, Pulaski day is March 2nd. Back then we celebrated it in March in Buffalo’s Polonia neighborhood,  not July in Cheektowaga.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is it a city holiday in Buffalo too?  Chicago celebrates the first Monday of March I believe.  Schools get off.

No, not a holiday - but it might have been when Mayor Kowal or Mayor Makowski ran things.

These days, they celebrate it in July and have a small crummy parade down Harlem in Cheektowaga.

A few old diehards do get together on March 2nd to lay a wreath in front of the Pulaski monument by Ellicott Square.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yeah, Pulaski day is March 2nd. Back then we celebrated it in March in Buffalo’s Polonia neighborhood,  not July in Cheektowaga.

Is Broadway and Fillmore part of the Polonia neighborhood?

17 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I took my wife to see the Broadway Market some years ago. I hardly recognized the neighborhood, the years have not been too kind. 

Just now, Turk71 said:

Is Broadway and Fillmore part of the Polonia neighborhood?

It is the very heart of Polonia!

Broadway Market, Sattlers, and Corpus Christi Church are my childhood memories, along with dozens of other places along Broadway and the smaller neighborhood streets.

7 minutes ago, The Senator said:

These days, they celebrate it in July and have a small crummy parade down Harlem in Cheektowaga.

Loretta Swift is going to ride in the parade again this year.....the kids,teens and basically any person under the age of 30 must be pumped? 

No Jim Rogowski,though.?

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

It is the very heart of Polonia!

Broadway Market, Sattlers, and Corpus Christi Church are my childhood memories, along with dozens of other places along Broadway and the smaller neighborhood streets.

I thought so. Did you grow up in the neighborhood?

20 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I thought so. Did you grow up in the neighborhood?

I did not, we lived a bit further away, then moved to Lancaster when I was 7.

But my mom was born and raised on Brownell and Broadway, down the street from St.John Kanty church, and my grandfather owned a few houses and a couple of neighborhood stores in that part of Buffalo.

My mom used to tell me how she and her 3 sisters went to the market a couple times a week for fresh groceries (must have been before refrigerators!)

We’d visit my gramp every week, so I was there quite a bit.  My aunt worked at Sattlers, so we always went there to buy clothes for the new school year.

I still go there - we took my dad to Polish Mass at Corpus Christi yesterday, then stopped at Broadway Market for pierogi, golumki, kielbasa, etc.

Sometimes I venture down there to the R&L Lounge for Polish food and a little pivo (beer).  Total dive, but Ronnie and Lottie are nice folks.

Cryin’ shame what’s become of that part of Buffalo.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Senator said:

But my mom was born and raised on Brownell and Broadway, down the street from St.John Kanty church, and my grandfather owned a few houses and a couple of neighborhood stores in that part of Buffalo.

My mom used to tell me how she and her 3 sisters went to the market a couple times a week for fresh groceries (must have been before refrigerators!)

We’d visit my gramp every week, so I was there quite a bit.  My aunt worked at Sattlers, so we always went there to buy clothes for the new school year.

I still go there - we took my dad to Polish Mass at Corpus Christi yesterday, then stopped at Broadway Market for pierogi, golumki, kielbasa, etc.

Sometimes I venture down there to the R&L Lounge for Polish food and a little pivo (beer).  Total dive, but Ronnie and Lottie are nice folks.

R&L lounge is a legendary spot

50 years

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

R&L lounge is a legendary spot

50 years

My dad played amateur soccer with Ronnie’s brother Rudy Pikuzinski Sr.  (Yes, that Pikuzinski soccer family.)

Lottie is a trip, but makes a mean pierogi.  Her family used to own this place, on Paderewski and Sears...

17D7ECD3-97EB-422E-8778-F88D7DC3EEB3.jpeg

Edited by The Senator

5 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Lottie is a trip, but makes some mean pierogi.

My dad played amateur soccer with Ronnie’s brother Rudy Pikuzinski Sr.  (Yes, that Pikuzinski soccer family.)

He played with the Stallions or Blizzard...he gave my bride tickets back then.

Edited by Misterbluesky

53 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Never been to the R&L but there were a couple of dive bars on Gibson St. across from the market us market maintenance workers would sneak off to when my uncle, Redlinski, and friends would go to the R&L. Most of us were underage, I was 15/16, but had no problem getting served. This was around '77, those bars are gone now.

3 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

D4OnWN4W4AA7wXA.jpg

this is actually a lot better than I expected!

Could have been much worse, thankfully they saved the building.

• Like (+1) 1

Read this about the 12th Century wood frame:

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/nortre-dame-fire-oak-wood-trnd/index.html

"To kick off the project, workers cleared 21 hectares of oak. Each beam of the intricate wooden cross-work was drawn from a different tree: estimated at 13,000 trees in total. To reach the heights the carpenters needed to build the structure, those trees would likely have been 300 or 400 years old, meaning they would have sprouted out of the ground in the eighth or ninth centuries."

Wow!  Irreplaceable.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Read this about the 12th Century wood frame:

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/nortre-dame-fire-oak-wood-trnd/index.html

"To kick off the project, workers cleared 21 hectares of oak. Each beam of the intricate wooden cross-work was drawn from a different tree: estimated at 13,000 trees in total. To reach the heights the carpenters needed to build the structure, those trees would likely have been 300 or 400 years old, meaning they would have sprouted out of the ground in the eighth or ninth centuries."

Wow!  Irreplaceable.

Yes. The ceiling was made from 800 year old oak trees

truly a masterpiece work of art

• Sad 1