Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

15 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

We need to pray for those workers,I would assume they will be traveling down a very tough road for a very long time mentally,maybe until he/they meet Saints Peter and Paul? I believe today's sad event is a way of Christ telling us ,no person,Christian or not... doesn't have faults.

With all do respect King Kev, I won’t be praying but I’ll think positively for those people.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Avenger said:

Wow - this is terrible. The beauty of this place is hard to express. I was there about 15 years ago and had the opportunity to sit inside and listen to a concert played on the pipe organ - something that is only played a few times a year - it was fantastic hearing those acoustics and looking at the stained glass.......

This is one of my favorite videos on Youtube.  Camille Saint-Saens' Symphony 3 in C Minor...the finale, recorded in 1997 in Notre Dame.   I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Probably some candles tipped over.  All those pews, wooden doors, and the wooden pipe organ fanned the flames in the large open nave of the Cathedral.

Or some altar boys were playing with matches.

Or somebody did something.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is it 220v in Paris/France. Probably old faulty wiring?

Takes a pretty big spark, arc flash to get out of control.

Either that or just a regular construction snafu, like a generator exhaust on some rags or something. It sounds like there was some work ongoing.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Either that or just a regular construction snafu, like a generator exhaust on some rags or something. It sounds like there was some work ongoing.

When I saw all the scaffolding up I immediately assumed construction activity started the fire.

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What were they doing?  Welding, cutting next to a bale of cotton?  ?

It's not easy to start a fire in such a huge landmark.

I immediately thought someone did this on purpose; then saw the scaffolding and realized that it had to be the source of the fire. 

Exactly how it started doesn't really matter now.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't related to the restoration work though.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

When I saw all the scaffolding up I immediately assumed construction activity started the fire.

It's not easy to start a fire in such a huge landmark.

I immediately thought someone did this on purpose; then saw the scaffolding and realized that it had to be the source of the fire. 

Exactly how it started doesn't really matter now.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't related to the restoration work though.

if it were deliberately set it would REALLY MATTER NOW.

it's been a powderkeg over there for awhile, a few blatant problems in the news weekly.

27 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’ve seen and visited the cathedral a number of times. It’s kind of sad what’s happened to it. The state law in France doesn’t allow them to charge for entrance to the cathedral so restoration has been difficult because it’s been difficult to raise funds. They had finally raised money to start after a public outcry and now this. All that’s left of the interior is pictures now...

CBAF02D0-6AA5-4425-9588-CF448C500632.jpeg

Wayne,if you travels take you to Minneapolis -St.Paul,find time to see the Cathedral of St.Paul,the hand crafted sculptures of many Saints welcomes you on both sides of the front entrance...going right up to the first pew.Attending a mass there is so up lifting...it's like stepping out of a tub of fresh bath water.

The organ there...is one of the oldest in the world.

Peace

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wayne,if you travels take you to Minneapolis -St.Paul,find time to see the Cathedral of St.Paul,the hand crafted sculptures of many Saints welcomes you on both sides of the front entrance...going right up to the first pew.Attending a mass there is so up lifting...it's like stepping out of a tub of fresh bath water.

The organ there...is one of the oldest in the world.

Peace

I have family in Minneapolis and have been there a number of times as well and of course across the river to St. Paul. It’s a beautiful cathedral as well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

some optimism; a French official has said the main structure has been "saved and preserved", and this includes the two bell towers

*he also notes that a significant amount of artwork was able to be removed by firefighters

Edited by coloradobillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Or somebody did something.

Well, they’re speculating it started in the spire, ‘cause flames were spotted on the roof first.  Can’t imagine how they’d cause a spark up there, unless they were welding.

Those Parisians all smoke like chimneys, so I guess I could see someone tossing a butt or a match.

I’m still thinking it started in that huge open air nave, with all those candles and wood, and all that oxygen to fan the flames.

Edited by The Senator

31 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

some optimism; a French official has said the main structure has been "saved and preserved", and this includes the two bell towers

*he also notes that a significant amount of artwork was able to be removed by firefighters

The entire globe of Christain faith will not allow the Cathedral to lay in rest.

We have never failed before..outside of abortion and annulment of a marriage ,we fight with pride and confidence.