Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Wow - this is terrible. The beauty of this place is hard to express. I was there about 15 years ago and had the opportunity to sit inside and listen to a concert played on the pipe organ - something that is only played a few times a year - it was fantastic hearing those acoustics and looking at the stained glass.......

• Like (+1) 2

Just awful to see. I dont think it can be saved by the looks of it. From what I'm reading they are trying to save the art now more than anything

Just a huge cultural loss. I went to some churches in Croatia during my honeymoon and the art and care that went into these buildings is incredible. Notre Dame was on my list of places to see and it looks as though that will not happen :(

This building is in a densely built area (like what area in Paris or any major city in the world isn't).  From current video images it looks like the two columns / towers on the west side of the building, which is the primary entrance, is still standing as is the eastern end which has the flying buttresses.  The southern end of the transcept appears to still be up as well.

I wouldnt doubt that the cause is a result of some of the restoration work.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

This building is in a densely built area (like what area in Paris or any major city in the world isn't).  From current video images it looks like the two columns / towers on the west side of the building, which is the primary entrance, is still standing as is the eastern end which has the flying buttresses.  The southern end of the transcept appears to still be up as well.

I'm sure it was. Just terrible 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

THAT is one VERY bad day at work!

”So, how was your day?”

52 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Pretty good run for any building not named the Great Pyramid of Giza or Hagia Sophia.

Sad to see this happen, though.

Pretty much my feelings...if you want it to last forever sans major earthquake/war, build it out of stone. Once you start introducing wood, glass, plaster etc, yeah it's pretty but you're building in a shelf life too. 

Just now, coloradobillsfan said:

I'm still holding out hope that the 2 towers will stay standing, at least giving something that could be used as a starting point for rebuilding.  But everything I'm hearing on BBC and other news reports is that they are still very much in jeopardy.

Some report mentioned they were lacking funds for the restoration...anyone happen to know how much fire insurance they had on it? 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Wow, that looks devastating with the question now being can it be saved?  

i have to imagine they'll salvage any stone they can and build up around it as others have mentioned.  we were in venice a few years ago, and there's a famous opera house that caught on fire, burned down, and apparently took a large part of the neighborhood with it.  it was being worked on by contractors at the time.  as the story goes, in italy, (not sure if this applies to europe or how this works) if a contractor is not on schedule, they'll be penalized for being late.  apparently to avoid this from happening, one of the workers set a small fire to back up the schedule and avoid that penalty.  well...it raged out of control, and did more damage than anyone could have realized.  they'll rebuild, but i can't imagine how much history is lost there.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

”So, how was your day?”

It was fine. Had a decent breakfast, beat the traffic, so was at work on time. Took a nice mid-morning dump in the confessional. Had some wine and cheese for lunch. Got some work accomplished by mid afternoon. Accidentally burned down 900 years of history, culture, and art. Made it home in time to have supper with the wife.

How was yours?

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

THAT is one VERY bad day at work!

We need to pray for those workers,I would assume they will be traveling down a very tough road for a very long time mentally,maybe until he/they meet Saints Peter and Paul? I believe today's sad event is a way of Christ telling us ,no person,Christian or not... doesn't have faults.

I’ve seen and visited the cathedral a number of times. It’s kind of sad what’s happened to it. The state law in France doesn’t allow them to charge for entrance to the cathedral so restoration has been difficult because it’s been difficult to raise funds. They had finally raised money to start after a public outcry and now this. All that’s left of the interior is pictures now...

CBAF02D0-6AA5-4425-9588-CF448C500632.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’ve seen and visited the cathedral a number of times. It’s kind of sad what’s happened to it. The state law in France doesn’t allow them to charge for entrance to the cathedral so restoration has been difficult because it’s been difficult to raise funds. They had finally raised money to start after a public outcry and now this. All that’s left of the interior is pictures now...

CBAF02D0-6AA5-4425-9588-CF448C500632.jpeg

it really is sad.  i heard choir practice there years ago, and what an opportunity.  this fire will just become part of the legacy of the structure.  even the sistine chapel has a bare spot from where the paint collapsed during its restoration.  can you imagine being the artist that caused that *****?

Just came to "Off the Wall" and saw the headline of this thread, so I opened it up.

Saw the photograph and literally said out loud "OH MY GOD!" despite sitting alone right now.

I have the TV on now but know nothing about this story.  But this is an epic tragedy.  

And now the headline on TV is "FRENCH GOVT: FIREFIGHTERS MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE NOTRE DAME"

FFS!