Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

While this is not something that makes the world go round, it is incredible piece of architecture and engineering for its time.  I hope they can contain this.  As an engineer I had to catch my breath to understand the magnitude of this building.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Sad ot see this historic building, known for great architecture and art burning.

the stone structure should be stable, hopefully they can rebuild the rest.

I read somewhere that it was starting to crumble before this fire.

here is some info on that. this fire certainly made the possibility of restoration near impossible?

TELEMMGLPICT000130590350_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Crumbling Notre-Dame cathedral needs €100m from donors to 'avert collapse'

Paris' Notre-Dame cathedral faces collapse unless donors stump up €100 million (£87 million) to conduct urgent repair work on its flying buttresses, spire, stained-glass windows, gargoyles and stonework, conservationists have warned.

Victor Hugo, who helped save the cathedral almost two centuries ago with his novel The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, would be turning his grave if he could see the state of the cathedral today, they told the Telegraph.

12 minutes ago, row_33 said:

any claims on how it happened?

"Police in Paris say the cause of the massive fire enveloping the spire of Notre Dame Cathedral isn’t yet known."

The Latest on a fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris (all times local):  7:55 p.m.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

any claims on how it happened?

Probably some candles tipped over.  All those pews, wooden doors, and the wooden pipe organ fanned the flames in the large open nave of the Cathedral.

Or some altar boys were playing with matches.

• Like (+1) 1