Nice article on Zone Matching

BarleyNY

It’s from a Browns site, but they appear to be running the same basic defensive scheme as the Bills.  You can see why McD moved to Bills to a a base of Cover 3.  I think the Bills are utilizing route matching, but someone that has done some research with All 22 can verify. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Film-Study-Why-I-Detest-Spot-Drops-in-Zone-Coverage-131106759/

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just got done with reading about pattern matching in The Art of Smart Football.     Very smart way to stop west coast offenses.   It's incredible how little credit we give people involved with football in terms of their intelligence.  My brain literally started to hurt trying to follow some of what Dick LeBeau did with Bill Arnsparger's zone blitz concepts.   

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

It's incredible how little credit we give people involved with football in terms of their intelligence.  

Exactly.   In order to understand this stuff, you have to understand another layer of detail that preceded it.   It's really complex. 

And it's a good example of why I like McDermott's "process" approach.   The game already has evolved into one where complex team concepts are what win.  The definition of BPA goes way beyond best athlete available.   To play a defense like this you need seven guys committed to these principles, understanding them and executing them play after play.   You can be the best shut-down talent in the league, but if you aren't also performing with concepts like this, you hurt your team.   That's what's so good, for example, about the Bills' safeties.   They know the details, the complex stuff, and they execute it.  

Thanks for the link. 

• Like (+1) 2

This has been going on in football for a good amount of time... as a former defensive back very rarely did we ever play pure zone

it was usually alway a cover 3 Rip/liz...

having set drop marks for DBs is horrible because certain coverages have zone beater concepts 

Edited by Buffalo716