Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ShadyBillsFan

How mathematicians are trying to make NFL schedules fairer

Recommended Posts

Some of that is due to factors which favor teams which use stadiums for other purposes - concerts, etc.  By actively seeking such events they can control when NFL can schedule games.  Bills could do same thing by scheduling events at New Era Stadium in December to take away ability to have Bills play multiple games in December repeated.

 

However the research from University of Buffalo is solid and shows that the scheduling algorithm is slanted whether it is intentional to punish teams which are lower revenue or less favored for other reasons (i.e. TV) is debatable. 

 

[Note there are two threads on issue and did not notice that originally so I posted in both bumping up this one.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One one hand, this is fantastic news! UB gets some League propers & we won’t likely have to run that gauntlet again.

On the other hand, we wuz robbed & shafted. Again..

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

One one hand, this is fantastic news! UB gets some League propers & we won’t likely have to run that gauntlet again.

On the other hand, we wuz robbed & shafted. Again..

LOL

 

Every season the SoS changes.  Teams Rocket to the top and crash to the bottom.   There is no formula for this inevitability.

 

Tracking how often you play teams with extra rest 4 of 5 seasons does matter in the greater scheme of things. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

How mathematicians are trying to make NFL schedules fairer

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26523224/how-mathematicians-trying-make-nfl-schedules-fairer

 

I recall this being talked about (basically every year)  

 

The whole project was sparked, in fact, by his hometown Buffalo Bills complaining about how often they faced teams who were coming off either a bye or a Thursday night game, which gives their opponents a rest advantage. As it turned out, between 2002 and 2014, the Bills had twice as many of those games as some other teams. The Bills were at a seemingly permanent disadvantage.

 

 

The NFL has managed to create a national holiday out of the schedule release, in part because it makes the upcoming season feel imminent but also because of the anger and debate it sparks. And with the full list of constraints in hand, Karwan and his team -- including one of his Ph.D. students, Zach Steever -- determined it is impossible to eliminate every potential quirk or disparity. But working with a dedicated computer chained to a wall for security, on a secure internet connection in a room that requires a password to enter -- "It's like working for the Department of Defense," Karwan said -- the team is focused on lowering the number of those undesirable outcomes.

 

 

wait, Shady...so, in other words, this wasn't our imagination?

 

The thing we all said was a real thing and not fair turned out to be a real thing and not fair even though common sense would tell any upright walking sloth that this was:  a) a real thing; and b) not f***ing fair.

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

wait, Shady...so, in other words, this wasn't our imagination?

 

The thing we all said was a real thing and not fair turned out to be a real thing and not fair even though common sense would tell any upright walking sloth that this was:  a) a real thing; and b) not f***ing fair.

 

 

 

LOL 

 

(shhh  no it wasn't our imagination.  we don't want people to re hash this)  

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

 

LOL 

 

(shhh  no it wasn't our imagination.  we don't want people to re hash this)  

 

 

I wish we could double emoji as you would have gotten a beer thanks, as well.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you could Beer me then :D in the post 

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

 

 

I wish we could double emoji as you would have gotten a beer thanks, as well.

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some of that is due to factors which favor teams which use stadiums for other purposes - concerts, etc.  By actively seeking such events they can control when NFL can schedule games.  Bills could do same thing by scheduling events at New Era Stadium in December to take away ability to have Bills play multiple games in December repeated.

 

However the research from University of Buffalo is solid and shows that the scheduling algorithm is slanted whether it is intentional to punish teams which are lower revenue or less favored for other reasons (i.e. TV) is debatable. 

 

[Note there are two threads on issue and did not notice that originally so I posted in both bumping up this one.]

 

 

this is all bogus crap

 

you can't "research" future sports games, there are at least 250 variables you cannot control, and you can't devise a blind test

 

this is just a dumb publicity stunt by a geek and his buddy who published it in the media

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, row_33 said:

 

No matter what pointless jiggery-pokery "math" is put into this, the Bills have to face the Pats twice a year,

 

thank goodness the Colts left the Bills division or it would have 0-4 against Brady and Peyton for many many years.

 

 

Yes but we used count those two teams as for wins each year, so it has cut both ways. 

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some of that is due to factors which favor teams which use stadiums for other purposes - concerts, etc.  By actively seeking such events they can control when NFL can schedule games.  Bills could do same thing by scheduling events at New Era Stadium in December to take away ability to have Bills play multiple games in December repeated.

 

However the research from University of Buffalo is solid and shows that the scheduling algorithm is slanted whether it is intentional to punish teams which are lower revenue or less favored for other reasons (i.e. TV) is debatable. 

 

[Note there are two threads on issue and did not notice that originally so I posted in both bumping up this one.]

Brilliant! But concert tours are generally during the spring, summer and early fall. Who is going to a stadium show in Buffalo in December? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some of that is due to factors which favor teams which use stadiums for other purposes - concerts, etc.  By actively seeking such events they can control when NFL can schedule games.  Bills could do same thing by scheduling events at New Era Stadium in December to take away ability to have Bills play multiple games in December repeated.

 

However the research from University of Buffalo is solid and shows that the scheduling algorithm is slanted whether it is intentional to punish teams which are lower revenue or less favored for other reasons (i.e. TV) is debatable. 

 

[Note there are two threads on issue and did not notice that originally so I posted in both bumping up this one.]

 

Did someone actually say that it is done intentionally to punish or the the Bills just happened to get the short end of the stick?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite line - There are more possible schedules than there are atoms in the universe.  Let that sink in....  16 games, 17 weeks, 32 teams, more possible schedules than there are atoms in the universe.

 

Math - gaining an understanding of problems larger than the universe.

 

(I happened to have studied OR on my path to a Math degree.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, row_33 said:

just like every two years we get another article saying "a new scientific survey proves there are only 12 minutes of action in a football game"

 

which isn't true at all, and we've kind of known this kind of thing since the stopwatch first hung around a maniac coach's neck, but they keep on insisting it's new and scientific...  :D

 

 

 

Non stop action is what makes hockey a better sport. Just wish more Americans would embrace it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, iinii said:

Yes but we used count those two teams as for wins each year, so it has cut both ways. 

Brilliant! But concert tours are generally during the spring, summer and early fall. Who is going to a stadium show in Buffalo in December? 

 

I certainly do not advocate it. I think the Bills should schedule more open air hockey games in stadium to force NFL to schedule less games in December.

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

 

 

this is all bogus crap

 

you can't "research" future sports games, there are at least 250 variables you cannot control, and you can't devise a blind test

 

this is just a dumb publicity stunt by a geek and his buddy who published it in the media

 

 

Yes usually when people cannot understand math or science they call it dumb.

 

I am sure you were in line to burn Galileo Galilei. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

I certainly do not advocate it. I think the Bills should schedule more open air hockey games in stadium to force NFL to schedule less games in December.

 

Good luck with that. Maybe the Bills should just play air hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the mathematics keep NE from closing the season out at home in the last 2 weeks???? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×