Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tipster19

Clowney and the Texans are still far apart.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

 

Nobody ever did that in Buffalo.....

 

 

 

Dude - you're in every freaking thread today offering nothing but bitching about the Bills.  Cry for help?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Clowney has been a disappointment; not a bust, but just not what they expected. Some of that might be because of injury. I wouldn't trade for him & his exhorbitant salary. Houston doesn't want to pay him the big bucks for a reason. Now, Clark from Seattle - hmmm, that's another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d wait till after the draft and offer next years 1st round pick.

also draft Anthony Johnson to sweeten the situation.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank Clark is a convicted felon( home invasion) and convicted of domestic violence and related charges. It didn't stop there. He threatened a hotel manager saying" I'll hit you like I hit her"( allegedly) and also tweeted insults to a female reporter who did a story on his DV charge. Does this sound like the process Pegulas' are building? No chance in hell does Kim Pegula let this man in the building. He will not be coming here

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

 

Dude - you're in every freaking thread today offering nothing but bitching about the Bills.  Cry for help?

So as a precaution.... never ever buy tickets on row 33... you might get stuck next to this winner, yeesh, I would rather have Jets season tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

 

 

I am not in favor of big money up front guarantee contracts for guys who do not come up through your own system.  The Bills just painfully exited bad contracts and cap hell.  Let’s not put ourselves back into it.

This is how I'm feeling. I may feel differently if we were just one player away, but that's just not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, row_33 said:

 

Nobody ever did that in Buffalo.....

 

 

I know you are being sarcastic but there are only a few players i trust to keep up the effort like hughes- who cost half as lawrence- and i will admit i did not trust hughes at the time to keep the effort high.

21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Its the last name right?  🤡 

 

...It’s damning 

Well it certainly does make me confident!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me Clowney over Clark.  Clowney is perfect opposite Hughes.  On passing downs Clowney is a matchup nightmare and can rush from any position.  This past year he has had a sack from LDE, RDE, 3 Tech, RE 2 point stance, ILB off the line.  In terms of impact plays he brings them in spades.  They have Watt making massive money and is a pilar of the community.  I dont see how you can pay 2 DEs 100 mil, Hopkins will want more money, and Watson is a few years away from alot of money too.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Give me Clowney over Clark.  Clowney is perfect opposite Hughes.  On passing downs Clowney is a matchup nightmare and can rush from any position.  This past year he has had a sack from LDE, RDE, 3 Tech, RE 2 point stance, ILB off the line.  In terms of impact plays he brings them in spades.  They have Watt making massive money and is a pilar of the community.  I dont see how you can pay 2 DEs 100 mil, Hopkins will want more money, and Watson is a few years away from alot of money too.

 

He’s never even had double digit sacks.  He’s still living on hype from one tackle in college.  He’s a good player, but he’s not once played to the level people are making him out to be.  I can’t even fathom how you say he’s better than Clark to be honest.  I understand if you like him better as he doesn’t have the off field baggage, but Clark is not only a better player, he’s significantly better.

 

Im all for bringing Clowney to the Bills, not like the dude is a bust, he’s a solid to good player.  But I don’t want to over pay for mediocre to decent production.  

 

Clark on the other hand (in terms of football) is worth the money it would take and has played at that level for multiple years while still being just 25.  Clowney has never played at a level worthy of the contract he wants.  Not once.

 

I don’t know if Clark or Clowney will be of interest to Beane, but I do know this...only one is worth giving up both draft capital and paying the huge contract size...and it’s not Clowney. 

 

If Beane can Jedi mind trick Houston to trading us Clowney relatively cheap, then I don’t hate it.  But if we gave up important draft capital for a guy whose never had double digit sacks despite playing next to Watt most his career and then payed him a gazillion dollars on top of that, then I would be pretty disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frogger said:

I’d wait till after the draft and offer next years 1st round pick.

also draft Anthony Johnson to sweeten the situation.

Umm no.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want our FO anywhere near the massive over payment that's about to occur with this player.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

N'Keal, kids, N'Keal.  Enough with the K'Neal.  How can you love a guy when you can't spell his name correctly?

 

That's what I'd like to ask his mother.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 12:04 AM, Tipster19 said:

the Bills would probably have to bungle some of their remaining draft picks 

Bills draft trauma surfacing subconsciously a week before the draft...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2019 at 9:48 PM, Tipster19 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/14/report-clowney-texans-not-close/

 

As the draft nears there still is anybody’s guess on what the Bills are going to do. I’m torn on what is more important for the Bills, offense or defense. Here’s a basic idea that I would like to see happen. Please feel free to tweak, edit or even disagree all together, your input is welcomed.

 

The Texans’ 1st rd pick is #23. What if the Bills would trade down with them and throw in next year’s 2nd rd pick and if needed maybe a later rd pick (5th rder?) in this year’s draft or next? The Texans and Clowney apparently are very far apart and even if they do resolve it Clowney’s contract would be expensive. Maybe both GMs, Brian Gaine and Brandon Beane can work something out fairly for both clubs.

 

Making a trade like could accomplish a few things for the Bills. First off they obtain a high impact DL who is still young but with NFL experience.

 

Secondly the Bills would be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, obtain a big time DL and also draft a high impact offensive rookie. If a trade like this could go down then I would love to see the Bills draft someone like WR K’Neal Harry. 

 

With their 2nd rd pick an OL like Erik McCoy would be a great addition and insurance. This opens up drafting a top talent at the TE position in the 3rd rd or even in a trade up. A RB could be in play as well. In the 3rd and/or 4th rd could still net a good talent for the DL or LB position. 

 

In any event I’m just offering up a rough draft/concept on acquiring big talent on both sides of the ball in the early part of the draft.

 

 

 

 

 

29 sacks in 5 years. Is NOT someone I want to give multiple assets for and a big time contract too 

 

never had had double digit sacks. 

 

9 last year. 9.5 year before. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

 

29 sacks in 5 years. Is NOT someone I want to give multiple assets for and a big time contract too 

 

never had had double digit sacks. 

 

9 last year. 9.5 year before. 

 

Texans have bungled this player's development a bit though and he's been playing out of position most of his time there. IMO he'd be a perfect scheme fit here in McDermott's - a more athletic Greg Hardy(minus the automatic weapons).

 

Plus he can slot inside on 3rd down and would alleviate the need to draft a penetrating DT.

 

We have ample cap space this year and next.

 

A swap of firsts, plus whatever else to even it out still let's you get a premier offensive player in this draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 2nd round pick is what I would give up for Clowney or Clark.

 

Houston and Seattle have no leverage whatsoever, so a 2nd round pick is a pretty damn good return. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

 

Texans have bungled this player's development a bit though and he's been playing out of position most of his time there. IMO he'd be a perfect scheme fit here in McDermott's - a more athletic Greg Hardy(minus the automatic weapons).

 

Plus he can slot inside on 3rd down and would alleviate the need to draft a penetrating DT.

 

We have ample cap space this year and next.

 

A swap of firsts, plus whatever else to even it out still let's you get a premier offensive player in this draft

 

This is definitely true. I think people just looking at Clowney's sack numbers are missing the way he was utilised. He has been pretty outstanding the last two years and I do think he would be a good fit for the Bills' scheme (a better fit than for the Texans' scheme). 

 

My worry is not about the cost in a trade so much as it is the money Clowney will want to re-sign him. I am Clowney > Clark though if all things were equal money wise. I just think a proper evaluation of the tape looking beyond the sack number leads me to that. I like Clark too. He is a good player, but I still think Clowney in a system where he is and out rusher would be double digit sacks every single year. 

 

My preference remains to draft a guy and not trade for a vet. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

2020 2nd round pick is what I would give up for Clowney or Clark.

 

Houston and Seattle have no leverage whatsoever, so a 2nd round pick is a pretty damn good return. 

 

This is what puzzles me.  Why do people say they have no leverage?  Thats not really an accurate statement unless there just was no trade market for the players and Bills were only ones willing to talk.  All signs indicate that multiple teams are interested in both players, at least based on "rumors".  So both Seattle and Houston will use that competing interest as leverage to get the best trade value back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

 

This is what puzzles me.  Why do people say they have no leverage?  Thats not really an accurate statement unless there just was no trade market for the players and Bills were only ones willing to talk.  All signs indicate that multiple teams are interested in both players, at least based on "rumors".  So both Seattle and Houston will use that competing interest as leverage to get the best trade value back.  

 

I really don't know if these two are in high demand, that's why I say that the teams have no leverage.Plus Seattle just gave big dollars to Wilson and are pressed up against the cap.

 

I am sure Seattle could work out a deal with Clark if they really wanted to, but it would still be a hard press un against their cap, no matter what.

 

Houston and Clownery seem like they will remain worlds apart on a contract....... and that's why I say Houston has no leverage in this case. I don't know Houston's cap situation, but signing Clowney to that mega-deal will not help it.

 

In the end, I think both players stay with their teams, but this speculation is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We really need a DT more than a DE, but we definitely would be improved with Clowney. I don't know how much he's worth, but even if we did sign Clowney, we still need a big upgrade ar DT.

Edited by GreggTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, njbuff said:

 

I really don't know if these two are in high demand, that's why I say that the teams have no leverage.Plus Seattle just gave big dollars to Wilson and are pressed up against the cap.

 

I am sure Seattle could work out a deal with Clark if they really wanted to, but it would still be a hard press un against their cap, no matter what.

 

Houston and Clownery seem like they will remain worlds apart on a contract....... and that's why I say Houston has no leverage in this case. I don't know Houston's cap situation, but signing Clowney to that mega-deal will not help it.

 

In the end, I think both players stay with their teams, but this speculation is fun.

 

I get where you are coming from, and not even saying that its wrong.  I just think that there are multiple teams interested, and rumor reports suggest the same.  I just find it hard to believe that multiple teams wont be interested in these 2 players.  Both of these guys are better than Dee Ford (whose literally cost the Chiefs a SB birth by himself) and he had demand.  I just cant see there not being a trade market for them.  So each teams respective cap issues are not really going to be relevant when teams try and pry these guys away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

This is definitely true. I think people just looking at Clowney's sack numbers are missing the way he was utilised. He has been pretty outstanding the last two years and I do think he would be a good fit for the Bills' scheme (a better fit than for the Texans' scheme). 

 

My worry is not about the cost in a trade so much as it is the money Clowney will want to re-sign him. I am Clowney > Clark though if all things were equal money wise. I just think a proper evaluation of the tape looking beyond the sack number leads me to that. I like Clark too. He is a good player, but I still think Clowney in a system where he is and out rusher would be double digit sacks every single year. 

 

My preference remains to draft a guy and not trade for a vet. 

 

I tend to agree about your Clark/Clowney comparison.

 

One thing that you have to think about as a team builder.........if you believe in your ability to evaluate.........is already having 3 first rounders to renew over a two year period in 2021-2022.    3 guys that might cost you about $70M per year in cap space if they meet expectations.

 

So do you want to just plug and "pay" a double digit sack guy into the program for the next 4-5 years and try to accelerate your program.......or do you want to draft one at #9........very likely wait 2-3 years to get him up to that kind of speed.....and hopefully get a good year or two of top production from him and then have to sign a 4th 1st rounder to a fat contract over a 3 year span between 2021-2023?

 

Personally I think Clark and Clowney probably won't bring more than a second rounder in trade at this point............the contracts and the influx of pass rush prospects factor in the equation.........but to me the timing of acquiring and paying a vet NOW makes sense.    

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

He’s never even had double digit sacks.  He’s still living on hype from one tackle in college.  He’s a good player, but he’s not once played to the level people are making him out to be.  I can’t even fathom how you say he’s better than Clark to be honest.  I understand if you like him better as he doesn’t have the off field baggage, but Clark is not only a better player, he’s significantly better.

 

Im all for bringing Clowney to the Bills, not like the dude is a bust, he’s a solid to good player.  But I don’t want to over pay for mediocre to decent production.  

 

Clark on the other hand (in terms of football) is worth the money it would take and has played at that level for multiple years while still being just 25.  Clowney has never played at a level worthy of the contract he wants.  Not once.

 

I don’t know if Clark or Clowney will be of interest to Beane, but I do know this...only one is worth giving up both draft capital and paying the huge contract size...and it’s not Clowney. 

 

If Beane can Jedi mind trick Houston to trading us Clowney relatively cheap, then I don’t hate it.  But if we gave up important draft capital for a guy whose never had double digit sacks despite playing next to Watt most his career and then payed him a gazillion dollars on top of that, then I would be pretty disappointed.

If you wipe clowneys first year Clark has 6 more sacks but Clowney has 29 more tackles for loss. And has played on and off the ball a bunch. More tackles, more pass breakups. It’s not like he’s a slouch or mediocre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

If you wipe clowneys first year Clark has 6 more sacks but Clowney has 29 more tackles for loss. And has played on and off the ball a bunch. More tackles, more pass breakups. It’s not like he’s a slouch or mediocre. 

 

Totally agree with you on that.  I just feel like Clark has been more consistent and explosive.  

 

I have no issues getting Clowney, its just when you start weighing the cost of the draft picks and the contract size, it gets more risky when you are spending so much betting on a guy to be better than he has been.  So thats just what I am more comfortable with Clark.  

 

But dont get me wrong, I would be excited to still get Clowney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...