Clowney and the Texans are still far apart.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

The pressure stat doesn’t always tell the story though.. Sure it looks good as a stat but take Hughes for instance, he flies off the line and runs all the way around the left tackle to “pressure” the quarterback who takes two steps forward and completes a pass. Counts as a pressure but it doesn’t actually do much. It’s not in your face pressure like a Watt or Mack give you. Not dogging Hughes or clowney but that stat doesn’t tell much. I’d rather see the stats for QB knockdowns as that means they were actually close to a sack. I don’t follow Houston too closely but I do generally watch 3-5 games a year of them and clowney is mostly a no show in games I’ve seen. I couldn’t get behind bringing the guy in and paying him 100 million to line up on the same line as Hughes who has arguably been more reliable and better at a lower tiered salary. We can grab a pass rusher in rounds 1 or 2 who could match clowneys impact on a game I guess is the simplified version I should have just said 

This.  Brady is a different QB when he gets knocked down a couple times.  He is not effected at all if he has to step up in the pocket.  And since he’s made a deal with the devil, I fully expect him to keep playing until he’s 45.  

2 hours ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Clowney may have not had the sack totals of the other guys but he is great against the run and was 1st or 2nd in the league in pressures. I’m not completely sold but would get on board if it happened. May want Clark more due to compensation but not sure how he fits in culture wise 

This is so true and can play LDE very effectively. I always look at it like this. Is the guy going to make offensive coordinators game plan, the answer is yes. He wreaks people’s game plans and that’s good with me 

12 hours ago, vincec said:

Both teams need an edge rusher. If Houston, who knows Clooney best, doesn’t think he’s worth what he is asking for then why would he be worth it to the Bills? If they want a new DE then draft one with their first pick.

But Clooney is so dreamy the offensive linemen would probably just stand there and admire him while he had a free shot at the QB.

• Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

I can agree with that. What you think about Clark? I see him as a better fit in terms of rushing the passer

I don’t think Seattle can let him go, unless they decide to go full rebuild cause Wilson won’t sign or play there. But I do think he’d be a better fit here than clowney, I haven’t seen what he’s looking for in terms of contract either though and definitely have not watched him as much as I’ve seen Houston play. Seattle game is an immediate turn the channel for me 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t really follow the guy, but it sounds like Clowney wants to get paid for his hype, not his production. Mario Williams actually played well, for a while. 

That's a great way to put it and definitely how I see it.  

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am not in favor of big money up front guarantee contracts for guys who do not come up through your own system.  The Bills just painfully exited bad contracts and cap hell.  Let’s not put ourselves back into it.

I hear you, and I don't disagree.  But if the Bills want to do business there is a price to pay, one way or the other.  I'd rather pay up front than backload money.  That causes more trouble: see Clay, Charles and Dareus, Marcel.  

i have a different view vs the group on this one.  Clowney has been to 3 consecutive probowls in 4 yrs of play (not counting his lost to injury rookie season).  hes 26 years old.  Not only is he consistent at a good level, he also has game changing ability.  Our defense is very solid and adding a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball could put it way over the top.

The proposed trade would finish off the defense and allow the team to keep stockpiling young offensive talent around JA.  A flip w HOU for Clowney would allow us to take Fant or Irv Smith, or one of the WRs.  We also could jump up from that spot and back into the teens if one of the OL (Jonah Williams please!) or Hock slid for whatever reason.  

Some have said in a draft w this much DL talent, why would you do this?  You would bc we cant trade back from 9 to pick up an extra offensive 1st rounder while still getting a blue chip defender.  If we trade back (lets say w OAK), we would be looking at a 2nd tier DT, where as with this scenario we would net a pro bowl end who can be moved around on the defense. 

From a flexibility standpoint, this helpos us bridge the gap past Lorax or allows us to move on from Shaq if needed, so helps us deal with turnover beyond just this next year.  

we have tons of money to spend so i dont think griping over value applies here.  As long as JA remains on his rookie deal, we should have plenty of $ to spend for the foreseeable future.  When JA comes off the rookie deal, you can let Clowney move on or you can at that point start getting home town discounts on people staying bc we hopfully will be in the perennial SB contender list at that point.  

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Clowney is not worth the money.  He is not a top 10 DE. Not even close.  Yes he is better than Lawson but not at the price he thinks he is worth.  To take on his contract the most the Bills should give up is a second round pick.  But I wouldn't do it.  They have a ton of cap space next year and some of the deals signed this year and last will come off the books. Save the money for next off-season.  2019 is all about Josh Allen and determining if he is the franchise QB. That is why I was ok with them chasing AB.  With the WR signings they have made it is time to double down on TE and OT.  And draft youth on the DL.  Not overpay for hype.

I’m in agreement.  He’s a very good DE with the tools to be great, but he hasn’t been.  We’d have to pay the price for an elite DE to acquire him and keep him. That’s a hard pass. 

I think that Clowney has been a disappointment; not a bust, but just not what they expected. Some of that might be because of injury. I wouldn't trade for him & his exhorbitant salary. Houston doesn't want to pay him the big bucks for a reason. Now, Clark from Seattle - hmmm, that's another story.

Frank Clark is a convicted felon( home invasion) and convicted of domestic violence and related charges. It didn't stop there. He threatened a hotel manager saying" I'll hit you like I hit her"( allegedly) and also tweeted insults to a female reporter who did a story on his DV charge. Does this sound like the process Pegulas' are building? No chance in hell does Kim Pegula let this man in the building. He will not be coming here

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am not in favor of big money up front guarantee contracts for guys who do not come up through your own system.  The Bills just painfully exited bad contracts and cap hell.  Let’s not put ourselves back into it.

This is how I'm feeling. I may feel differently if we were just one player away, but that's just not the case.

21 hours ago, row_33 said:

Nobody ever did that in Buffalo.....

I know you are being sarcastic but there are only a few players i trust to keep up the effort like hughes- who cost half as lawrence- and i will admit i did not trust hughes at the time to keep the effort high.

21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Its the last name right?  ? 

...It’s damning 

Well it certainly does make me confident!!

Give me Clowney over Clark.  Clowney is perfect opposite Hughes.  On passing downs Clowney is a matchup nightmare and can rush from any position.  This past year he has had a sack from LDE, RDE, 3 Tech, RE 2 point stance, ILB off the line.  In terms of impact plays he brings them in spades.  They have Watt making massive money and is a pilar of the community.  I dont see how you can pay 2 DEs 100 mil, Hopkins will want more money, and Watson is a few years away from alot of money too.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Give me Clowney over Clark.  Clowney is perfect opposite Hughes.  On passing downs Clowney is a matchup nightmare and can rush from any position.  This past year he has had a sack from LDE, RDE, 3 Tech, RE 2 point stance, ILB off the line.  In terms of impact plays he brings them in spades.  They have Watt making massive money and is a pilar of the community.  I dont see how you can pay 2 DEs 100 mil, Hopkins will want more money, and Watson is a few years away from alot of money too.

He’s never even had double digit sacks.  He’s still living on hype from one tackle in college.  He’s a good player, but he’s not once played to the level people are making him out to be.  I can’t even fathom how you say he’s better than Clark to be honest.  I understand if you like him better as he doesn’t have the off field baggage, but Clark is not only a better player, he’s significantly better.

Im all for bringing Clowney to the Bills, not like the dude is a bust, he’s a solid to good player.  But I don’t want to over pay for mediocre to decent production.  

Clark on the other hand (in terms of football) is worth the money it would take and has played at that level for multiple years while still being just 25.  Clowney has never played at a level worthy of the contract he wants.  Not once.

I don’t know if Clark or Clowney will be of interest to Beane, but I do know this...only one is worth giving up both draft capital and paying the huge contract size...and it’s not Clowney. 

If Beane can Jedi mind trick Houston to trading us Clowney relatively cheap, then I don’t hate it.  But if we gave up important draft capital for a guy whose never had double digit sacks despite playing next to Watt most his career and then payed him a gazillion dollars on top of that, then I would be pretty disappointed.