Clowney and the Texans are still far apart.

Clowney is not worth the money.  He is not a top 10 DE. Not even close.  Yes he is better than Lawson but not at the price he thinks he is worth.  To take on his contract the most the Bills should give up is a second round pick.  But I wouldn't do it.  They have a ton of cap space next year and some of the deals signed this year and last will come off the books. Save the money for next off-season.  2019 is all about Josh Allen and determining if he is the franchise QB. That is why I was ok with them chasing AB.  With the WR signings they have made it is time to double down on TE and OT.  And draft youth on the DL.  Not overpay for hype.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, offyourocker said:

With a draft loaded at DE, I can’t see why we would even consider this

Because it's not loaded with defensive ends past the 1st round.  And even then the 1st round guys all have major questions.  I would always take the known over the unknown.  And, guys like Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, and Clelin Ferrell may have a hard time getting anywhere near Clowney in the league.  

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The concept makes sense.  The problem is that they don't have much time left before the draft.  Bill's and Houston might agree, but Bill's and Clowney would have to agree too.  It's not clear that the Bill's would want to pay more than Houston. 

shiny object.  pass. 

I would seriously have to start doubting Beane if he acquired Clowney, oft injured and good against the run.. Kinda sounds like Lawson a little, only 100 million dollars more expensive. Clowney is not an impact pass rusher, however he is pretty elite against the run.. He also generally plays the same spot as Hughes in the 4-3 set and it’s not always effective to swap to the other side. He’s a good player, but he’s always dinged up (he does play through it generally) and hes wanting top 5 money as a defensive end. The reason Houston isn’t paying him is simple, they want to pay him as an outside 3-4 linebacker and he isn’t having it. I would expect him to play his franchise tag out this season and be gone next year 

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

They could throw more guarantees in whatever deal.  That would be more important to him than the overall number which is smoke and mirrors most times anyway. 

I am not in favor of big money up front guarantee contracts for guys who do not come up through your own system.  The Bills just painfully exited bad contracts and cap hell.  Let’s not put ourselves back into it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t really follow the guy, but it sounds like Clowney wants to get paid for his hype, not his production. Mario Williams actually played well, for a while. 

Yes, the Mario Williams experience still lingers with me. Played great for a few games, got injured, played meh, got injured again, rinse and repeat. We're better off drafting Oliver than betting a huge contact on Clowney.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I would seriously have to start doubting Beane if he acquired Clowney, oft injured and good against the run.. Kinda sounds like Lawson a little, only 100 million dollars more expensive. Clowney is not an impact pass rusher, however he is pretty elite against the run.. He also generally plays the same spot as Hughes in the 4-3 set and it’s not always effective to swap to the other side. He’s a good player, but he’s always dinged up (he does play through it generally) and hes wanting top 5 money as a defensive end. The reason Houston isn’t paying him is simple, they want to pay him as an outside 3-4 linebacker and he isn’t having it. I would expect him to play his franchise tag out this season and be gone next year 

Clowney may have not had the sack totals of the other guys but he is great against the run and was 1st or 2nd in the league in pressures. I’m not completely sold but would get on board if it happened. May want Clark more due to compensation but not sure how he fits in culture wise 

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

Giving up anything of value for Clowney would be a mistake. Paying him would be bad enough. 

Yeah well tell that to Nate and his zombie army. I'm getting burnt to a crisp. That guy is diving into Twitter a little too deep, like you can't be a media star without coming down hard on anyone who disagrees with you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Clowney may have not had the sack totals of the other guys but he is great against the run and was 1st or 2nd in the league in pressures. I’m not completely sold but would get on board if it happened. May want Clark more due to compensation but not sure how he fits in culture wise 

The pressure stat doesn’t always tell the story though.. Sure it looks good as a stat but take Hughes for instance, he flies off the line and runs all the way around the left tackle to “pressure” the quarterback who takes two steps forward and completes a pass. Counts as a pressure but it doesn’t actually do much. It’s not in your face pressure like a Watt or Mack give you. Not dogging Hughes or clowney but that stat doesn’t tell much. I’d rather see the stats for QB knockdowns as that means they were actually close to a sack. I don’t follow Houston too closely but I do generally watch 3-5 games a year of them and clowney is mostly a no show in games I’ve seen. I couldn’t get behind bringing the guy in and paying him 100 million to line up on the same line as Hughes who has arguably been more reliable and better at a lower tiered salary. We can grab a pass rusher in rounds 1 or 2 who could match clowneys impact on a game I guess is the simplified version I should have just said 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The concept makes sense.  The problem is that they don't have much time left before the draft.  Bill's and Houston might agree, but Bill's and Clowney would have to agree too.  It's not clear that the Bill's would want to pay more than Houston. 

Shaw!  Players love Buffalo.  It's a no brainer he would sign here.

*sits and waits for both sides*

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

The pressure stat doesn’t always tell the story though.. Sure it looks good as a stat but take Hughes for instance, he flies off the line and runs all the way around the left tackle to “pressure” the quarterback who takes two steps forward and completes a pass. Counts as a pressure but it doesn’t actually do much. It’s not in your face pressure like a Watt or Mack give you. Not dogging Hughes or clowney but that stat doesn’t tell much. I’d rather see the stats for QB knockdowns as that means they were actually close to a sack. I don’t follow Houston too closely but I do generally watch 3-5 games a year of them and clowney is mostly a no show in games I’ve seen. I couldn’t get behind bringing the guy in and paying him 100 million to line up on the same line as Hughes who has arguably been more reliable and better at a lower tiered salary. We can grab a pass rusher in rounds 1 or 2 who could match clowneys impact on a game I guess is the simplified version I should have just said 

I can agree with that. What you think about Clark? I see him as a better fit in terms of rushing the passer