Who's everyone's baseball team?

Ice bowl 67

11 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The Red Sox are my other team, when they are not playing the Mets. My dad, born in 1923, was a Sox fan his whole life. Unfortunately he passed in 1999 before he ever got to see them win one. Growing up in Irish SB the Celtics and Red Sox were popular in my family and neighborhood. I guess the S Boston Irish connection. Always hated the Yankees.?

Well, see, I lived in Boston in ‘86, when Buckner let that routine grounder between his legs.

Had season tix at Fenway.  So you can understand why I don’t like the Mets OR the Yankees.

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Well, see, I lived in Boston in ‘86, when Buckner let that routine grounder between his legs.

Had season tix at Fenway.  So you can understand why I don’t like the Mets OR the Yankees.

I love Bill Buckner. 

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Such piety.

It is the "Curse of the Bambino" that forever puts the Red Sox in their rightful and eternal rear view mirror place forever behind the Yankees.  

Yes, Harold Frasee selling Ruth to NY to finance No No Nanette was perhaps the biggest blunder of all time.  But we broke the curse in 2004.

I realize we’ve got some catching up to do, but how many World Series rings do the Yankees have in this millenium?

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love Bill Buckner. 

Yeah yeah...I’m sure there are NY fans that love Scott Norwood too.

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I love Bill Buckner. 

great role in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

watching that game in a sports bar was the closest i saw to people so infuriated that they could have committed murder on the spot...  :D

was cheering for the Mets myself...

Edited by row_33

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

great role in the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode

watching that game in a sports bar was the closest i saw to people so infuriated that they could have committed murder on the spot...  :D

was cheering for the Mets myself...

They blew a lead in game 7, too.  

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They blew a lead in game 7, too.  

it was the Red Sox, Aaron Boone sadly was the closer on choking of that run...

Even as an AL East Toronto fan I despise the Red Sox, never could hate the Yankees, they are the only team i bother to watch these days, unless i really need to watch a game and they have a day off...

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, The Senator said:

I was living at the south rim of the Grand Canyon and could barely watch. Had a few hundred bucks on the Mets. When Mookie hit that dribbler right to Buckner I thought for sure it was over, when it went through his legs I jumped out of my chair and went crazy. 

When the Sox were down 0-3 to the Yankees I was telling people they were gonna come back and win the series. The greatest comeback in baseball I have ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I was living at the south rim of the Grand Canyon and could barely watch. Had a few hundred bucks on the Mets. When Mookie hit that dribbler right to Buckner I thought for sure it was over, when it went through his legs I jumped out of my chair and went crazy. 

When the Sox were down 0-3 to the Yankees I was telling people they were gonna come back and win the series. The greatest comeback in baseball I have ever seen.

2004 was magical - coming back against the dreaded Yankees, then sweeping St.Louis.

There were septuagenarians and octogenarians walking the streets in the middle of the night, zombielike, grateful that they saw the Sox win a series while they were alive.

1986, I was the zombielike one wandering around, wondering how we blew that one...

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Red Sox were the far better team for the comeback year, at a golf tourny a week before it started I couldn't get any of six diehard Yankee fans at my table to bet $10 on the Yankees, the surprise was the Yankees took the first 3 games.

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The Red Sox were the far better team for the comeback year, at a golf tourny a week before it started I couldn't get any of six diehard Yankee fans at my table to bet $10 on the Yankees, the surprise was the Yankees took the first 3 games.

That's why I felt pretty strongly they could come back, that team was stacked.

21 minutes ago, The Senator said:

2004 was magical - coming back against the dreaded Yankees, then sweeping St.Louis.

There were septuagenarians and octogenarians walking the streets in the middle of the night, zombielike, grateful that they saw the Sox win a series while they were alive.

1986, I was the zombielike one wandering around, wondering how we blew that one...

I remember thinking about my dad rooting for the Red Sox his whole life. He had to witness Buckner's blunder but died before the 2004 victory. My dad knew Warren Spahn growing up in South Buffalo. Spahn, Williams, and Yastremski were his favorite Red Sox.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

MEET THE METS,
MEET THE METS,
Step right up and greet the Mets!
Bring your kiddies,
bring your wife;
Guaranteed to have the time of your life
because the Mets are really sockin' the ball;

knocking those home runs over the wall!
East side,
West side,
everybody's coming down
to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!

Reminds me of Seinfeld, the Keith Hernandez 'magic loogie' episode.?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I love Bill Buckner. 

But not nearly as much as Calvin Schiraldi.  Sending him to the Sox was the best trade in Mets history.

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

When Mookie hit that dribbler right to Buckner I thought for sure it was over, when it went through his legs I jumped out of my chair and went crazy. 

You weren’t going to watch the 11th inning?

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Johnny Damon made a damn good Yankee :ph34r:

I had a hard time rooting for Clemens and Boggs in pinstripes. 

Edited by Uncle Joe

13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

You weren’t going to watch the 11th inning?

I definitely would have watched but for some reason when Mookie hit that ball I was peeking through my fingers I was so nervous that whole bottom half of that inning. I started with a hundred dollar bet with a bookie and let it ride through every round of the playoffs. I am not usually a gambler and I had 400 riding on the series which was a significant amount to me at the time.

28 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I definitely would have watched but for some reason when Mookie hit that ball I was peeking through my fingers I was so nervous that whole bottom half of that inning. I started with a hundred dollar bet with a bookie and let it ride through every round of the playoffs. I am not usually a gambler and I had 400 riding on the series which was a significant amount to me at the time.

Paying the bag man always sucks!  You made out well. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1