Offensive weapons or finish the Defence?

I suggest everyone do some mock drafts. The Edge/DL dries up in the first 3 rounds, even though there are quite a few good players at those positions. RB/WR is deep as far as B/B+ category still in rounds 4-6. I'd suggest we go Dline early and then shore up the offense. TEs like Sternberger, Nauta should be around past the 3rd round and offer a lot of value. Obviously mocks are guesses, but they do give a good idea of a general consensus of where players will go.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly? Let Beane take whoever he wants. It's his draft. The draft never goes according to fan opinion. There are a boat load of positions that would help this team, so I am not married any one position of need. Maybe it's TE, maybe Dline, maybe oline, WR, CB, DT, RB... They can all help.

5 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

I would take Oliver first but Hock will be my 2nd choice.  Other then the obvious guys of course like Bosa, Quinnen & Allen. 

I believe in taking BPA @9 with need.  I wouldn't take Sweat or Gary over Oliver and Hock just because we need a edge defender . I believe those 2 players have more upside then Sweat and Gary . 

So at the end of the day just take BPA the whole draft that's how we get better doesn't matter what side of the ball there on.  Like u said we are not ready to win the Superbowl yet no matter who we draft.

1 hour ago, Haplo848 said:

I feel like there's a bad assumption that is being made here.  I can't help but feel like you're assuming the player that we pick at one of those four positions is rated just as highly as any other we could pick at those positions.  And that's a bad place to start from.  If you're grading players out of a hundred, the DE or DT likely available is probably going to be graded something like 5 to 10 points higher than the WR or TE that is available at the same place.  So it's not a question of drafting a really good WR or TE vs a really good DE or DT.  It's the question of whether you should draft a a top 10 DE or DT vs a top 30 WR or TE.  If grades were equal, than I would absolutely agree with you, we should draft a dominant playmaker for the offense.  But they're not.  We could draft a dominant playmaker for the defense, or a WR or a TE who down the line might have the potential to develop into a playmaker, but is by no means one now, and likely won't ever be a top 5-10 player at the position.  You just don't pass on talent.  Doing that and drafting need is how we got into drought to begin with.

Most if not all these players will not dominate from day 1. The draft especially in the early rds are more about taking players that have elite skills but it's more of a projection then anything else. In the 2nd rd threw the 7th lots of teams start drafting more on a players production and scheme fit because most of the elite athletes are off the board. 

Here's the question though would u take a edge defender like Gary or Sweat that u project to be a borderline pro bowl player that can get u 8- 10 sacks a yr or would u rather have a TE like Hock that's projected to be a all pro caliber TE. 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I suggest everyone do some mock drafts. The Edge/DL dries up in the first 3 rounds, even though there are quite a few good players at those positions. RB/WR is deep as far as B/B+ category rds still in rounds 4-6. I'd suggest we go Dline early and then shore up the offense. TEs like Sternberger, Nauta should be around past the 3rd round and offer a lot of value. Obviously mocks are guesses, but they do give a good idea of a general consensus of where players will go.

If the Bills are looking for value then taking Dline early is there best bet especially at DE. 

Here's how I see the value board 

DE- Top 20 of 1st 

DT- Top 32-40 1st/ Early 2nd

LB- Top 15 1st

CB 20-64 1st/2nd

Saftey- pks 20-50 1st/2nd

Wrs - 2nd - 6th

Rbs- 3rd-6th

TEs- 3rd-5th

Oline 1st-4th

Lets go on what they did last year.  They are after impact players.  They also did not address DT in FA because of the fact that there are 3 high impact BPA DT's who might be a #9 and at least 3 more almost as good just below.  The first pick will be a DT. with very high ceiling and high floor.  The second pick will be in the bottom of the first round and will also be an impact player at DE, LB or TE depending upon who is still there. After that they will go for highest ceiling player regardless of floor and almost regardless of position.   "BPA" comes in two main flavors: [1] a guy who will be at his ceiling in the first quarter of his rookie season and might be starting and [2] a guy who may not even start his first year but could be a standout impact player his second year. At this stage of the Bills rebuild, we want the second type with a goal of a 12-4 type season and not 9-7 seasons forever.

• Like (+1) 1

My dream scenario would be for the Bills to trade w/ Seattle for Clark but keep their #9 pick and draft Oliver.  The defense would (potentially) be an absolute beast.  I'm satisfied (for now) with what they've done for the offensive line in FA, and expect them to draft a TE, WR, and RB as well.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Correct.  BPA.  

You know when McD says he wants to play complementary football, he means that the whole team wins or loses.  It isn't about one unit not being good enough or behind the other.  It's about how good is the whole team.

If the offense gets better, that's good for the team.  If the defense gets better, it's good for the team. So even though you might want to build the offense, if the best player happens to play defense, that means the defense gets better and the team gets better.

Who are the blue chip players on Buffalo?

This team isn't talented enough to get cute here - get the best player there.  If there is top 5 talent that slips because of QBs, get it done.

12 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I personally am not convinced they are "there" on the offensive line either. Will they be better than last year? Absolutely! But will they be a team strength or just "more competitve"? I'd like to see an elite guard or tackle added to go with a top end  D lineman (edge or elsewise) in the first 2 rounds.

I agree with this, unless they believe Hockenson will be special and make both the running and passing game more effective. 

Ultimately, if he's there, I want Oliver at 9 and best OL at 40 (or move up). If he's not, I'd be thrilled with Hock at 9 and someone else able to rush the pass at 40 (or move up). 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott will never appreciate that he's a HC and not a DC.  His personnel choices these past 2 years have certainly demonstrated a lack of acumen with offensive players.  It's also shown a reliance on spending major resources on defensive players in UFA and the draft.  

This approach requires more on defense than will allow for to build an elite offense.  No one's getting deep into the playoffs with this way.  I fully expect to see a DL at 9 and perhaps another defender in the 2nd round.  He and the GM will point to the offensive spending this past free agency, but in the long run it won't be enough to take one of the league's worst offenses in 2018 and get them into a top 10 unit next season.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Here is my ideal: 

Oliver, DT (these guys are very hard to find.)  

Trade back into first: grab solid OL: Ford, Taylor, or Dillard or Lindstrom, or McCoy (Guard/backup Center) (one should be available).  

In second, grab WR Campbell if available, if not, DE Furgeson.  

Later in the draft: grab one of: TE Sternbrener, WR: Samuel, Harry, or, Harmon; then Edge with Crosby; and/or Collier.   

With all this said, we will be able to add quality Defensive and Offensive talent.  BPA baby.  

38 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott will never appreciate that he's a HC and not a DC.  His personnel choices these past 2 years have certainly demonstrated a lack of acumen with offensive players.  It's also shown a reliance on spending major resources on defensive players in UFA and the draft.  

This approach requires more on defense than will allow for to build an elite offense.  No one's getting deep into the playoffs with this way.  I fully expect to see a DL at 9 and perhaps another defender in the 2nd round.  He and the GM will point to the offensive spending this past free agency, but in the long run it won't be enough to take one of the league's worst offenses in 2018 and get them into a top 10 unit next season.  

I'm not quite as pessimistic.  I think the trade-up for Allen shows the team knows it needs offense.  I think the OL spending in FA was to surround Allen with Vets.  I see an DL/OL combo in the first, as well as additions at the TE and WR and RB positions in the draft.  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Here is my ideal: 

Oliver, DT (these guys are very hard to find.)  

Trade back into first: grab solid OL: Ford, Taylor, or Dillard or Lindstrom, or McCoy (Guard/backup Center) (one should be available).  

In second, grab WR Campbell if available, if not, DE Furgeson.  

Later in the draft: grab one of: TE Sternbrener, WR: Samuel, Harry, or, Harmon; then Edge with Crosby; and/or Collier.   

With all this said, we will be able to add quality Defensive and Offensive talent.  BPA baby.  

I'm not quite as pessimistic.  I think the trade-up for Allen shows the team knows it needs offense.  I think the OL spending in FA was to surround Allen with Vets.  I see an DL/OL combo in the first, as well as additions at the TE and WR and RB positions in the draft.  

How do we accomplish all that? I can't see it happening without giving up next years first. 

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I see it completely different.

Yes McDermott was a DC and now as a HC he knows what he wants to do on D.

Ergo, he could make moves to get to that goal quicker than the offensive side.

As a HC (on offense) he needed 2 major things to happen before going all in on specific players.

He needed a QB and an OC.  That (I believe) has been established last season.

Daboll has had an offseason to put together an offense scheme AROUND Josh Allen.

Beane, McDermott and Daboll will now go forward to do that.

For me, it was one thing at a time at the right time.

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Have to go Dline, the draft is loaded with DTs and DEs.  Right now, I think it may be the weakest position on our roster.  Notice that the DLine was not addressed in FA thus far; I'm expecting multiple draft picks for DE and DT.

You said it Gilmore, the draft is LOADED with DTs and DEs. There are 2 game changing players, offensively, in this draft Metcalf and Hollywood Brown. Because of his physical stature, I'd prefer Metcalf over Brown.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Weapons , we need Allen to explode not struggle. Defense will get better over time.

Thank you Barbarian!! You can add pieces later in the draft to improve the top 10 ranked defense in the NFL last year. You need a dynamic playmaker to improve the offense, which was ranked near the bottom. IMO, there are 2 players that are explosive enough that can help our offense and they are DK Metcalf and "Hollywood" Brown. I'd prefer Metcalf because of his physical stature and his catch radius. Metcalf could be very beneficial to a QB with Allen's arm strength and ability to keep plays alive with his mobility. If Metcalf  is there at 9 the Bills simply can't pass on him

• Thank you (+1) 1