Offensive weapons or finish the Defence?

I once heard an old GM (Ron Wolf, I think) say that it doesn't matter if your first round pick is a bust.  If you get two Pro Bowlers out of the draft, it's a very good draft.  If you get three, it's  a great draft.   You've got to get at least one but the goal is to land two.

If we got 2 or 3 Pro Bowlers in this draft, I wouldn't care what positions they played.   2 or 3 impact players would vastly upgrade this roster.  

Having said that, my hope is that at least one of those future Pro Bowlers is an offensive linemen.  I'm tired of seeing our RBs futilely running into an uninterrupted mass of gargantuan men and our QBs looking like frightened gazelles running from a pack of hungry lions.    

Edited by hondo in seattle

Many throw around the “ BPA” term as gospel, but BPA on its own is pretty much a myth. Many of these prospects are graded very closely, as well as differently by various teams. The Bills selection will be dictated by a combination of factors. Their vision of how the team should be built , coupled with the cost of obtaining the specific players they covet to fit that vision. They certainly have different potential scenarios worked out, but their history shows they prefer specific players. Not some hypothetical BPA cliche. Look at their past drafting and expect more of the same. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm beginning to see LB Dewon White as the first pick for the Bills.  We would have a killer defence- they guy is Ray Lewis reborn better.  We can add a good DT later in the draft or work out a trade for a 1-3 year rental.  BUT we would have a sick linebacker corp for the next decade.  He is the biggest upside and biggest high ceiling immediate starter we could get with our #9 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

After waiting nearly 25 years, we finally have a QB that I believe in, I want the focus to be on the offense. I am totally fine with the 9th pick going to defense if the players available dictate that, but in every other way, I want the offense to be given top priority.

22 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Have to go Dline, the draft is loaded with DTs and DEs.  Right now, I think it may be the weakest position on our roster.  Notice that the DLine was not addressed in FA thus far; I'm expecting multiple draft picks for DE and DT.

If one of the top defensive lineman fall, it would be ideal. That's the weakest link defensively. 

The draft is not top heavy at WR or OL, but it's deep. That also works in our favor. You could say the draft is top heavy at TE, but I'd prefer to take a shot at that position in the 3/4/5th round. There are some quality options. I continue to believe Nuata from Georgia is a serious candidate considering he's the only TE Beane has brought in for an official visit.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Boca BIlls said:

They have 10 picks I see them using maybe 5 of those picks to move back up. I hope they take 10 picks and turn it into 4 guys in the first 2 rounds.

This is my hope as well. With the additions in fA, there aren’t going to be many roster spots available. And 6th and 7th rounders are usually long shots anyways. Package the picks and move up. Draft at 9, move back into the bottom of the first for a player that drops and then try to get two 2nd rounders. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, Shaw66 said:

Correct.  BPA.  

You know when McD says he wants to play complementary football, he means that the whole team wins or loses.  It isn't about one unit not being good enough or behind the other.  It's about how good is the whole team.

If the offense gets better, that's good for the team.  If the defense gets better, it's good for the team. So even though you might want to build the offense, if the best player happens to play defense, that means the defense gets better and the team gets better.

Is there any such thing as a diminishing return in this regard? If the BPA will improve your defensive output 3%, and the second BPA will improve offensive output 8%, is it really better to take the defensive player? 

13 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Is there any such thing as a diminishing return in this regard? If the BPA will improve your defensive output 3%, and the second BPA will improve offensive output 8%, is it really better to take the defensive player? 

Position will always be a factor whether a GM admits it or not. A QB, LT, elite WR, or a pass rusher always take precedent because they are more impactful.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Position will always be a factor whether a GM admits it or not. A QB, LT, elite WR, or a pass rusher always take precedent because they are more impactful.

My view is that you pick the player that improves the team the most.  I suspect that is often the best player available, but probably not always. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Boca BIlls said:

They have 10 picks I see them using maybe 5 of those picks to move back up. I hope they take 10 picks and turn it into 4 guys in the first 2 rounds.

How do you figure that will happen? Do the math!  I keep hearing how they'll trade some of their picks to move up but for the most part their picks have little value.

If they initially trade down to around 15, likely could pick up a 2nd, but then would need to use both two's to get back into the bottom of the 1st.  

The only way I can see them getting extra high quality picks is to trade a couple of their more value players, maybe to get another 3rd or 4th. But likely the best you'll end up with is a 1st and two second rounders, or 2 firsts and no 2nd.  But the problem their is they don't have many players they can trade and get much of anything in return.  The only ones I can see them getting anything better than a 6th rounder for and not leaving a huge void would be Shady, Hughes, Lawson, and Zay Jones.