Offensive weapons or finish the Defence?

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

Edited by Franchiseneedsme

Have to go Dline, the draft is loaded with DTs and DEs.  Right now, I think it may be the weakest position on our roster.  Notice that the DLine was not addressed in FA thus far; I'm expecting multiple draft picks for DE and DT.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I personally am not convinced they are "there" on the offensive line either. Will they be better than last year? Absolutely! But will they be a team strength or just "more competitve"? I'd like to see an elite guard or tackle added to go with a top end  D lineman (edge or elsewise) in the first 2 rounds.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Best player available on big board at WR, TE, DT, OT, or DE in 1st round..

Correct.  BPA.  

You know when McD says he wants to play complementary football, he means that the whole team wins or loses.  It isn't about one unit not being good enough or behind the other.  It's about how good is the whole team.

If the offense gets better, that's good for the team.  If the defense gets better, it's good for the team. So even though you might want to build the offense, if the best player happens to play defense, that means the defense gets better and the team gets better.

• Like (+1) 1

Great debatable question! I’m thinking we use our 1st on the DL and then use the majority on the offense. If we can get 3-4 valuable offensive players in this draft by any means available to us, trading play(s), moving up in the draft by packaging picks in this year’s draft and/or next year’s, then I’m all for it. I would stop short of using next year’s 1st rd pick though. The window of opportunity is not that big with players on a roster (3-5 years?). I want to utilize the Jerry Hughes, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and especially the tandem of McCoy and Gore.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

What team has both an offense and a defense that is "elite"?

I want to see the offense become "elite" first and foremost. I've had enough time watching crappy Bills offenses to last a lifetime.

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

I feel like there's a bad assumption that is being made here.  I can't help but feel like you're assuming the player that we pick at one of those four positions is rated just as highly as any other we could pick at those positions.  And that's a bad place to start from.  If you're grading players out of a hundred, the DE or DT likely available is probably going to be graded something like 5 to 10 points higher than the WR or TE that is available at the same place.  So it's not a question of drafting a really good WR or TE vs a really good DE or DT.  It's the question of whether you should draft a a top 10 DE or DT vs a top 30 WR or TE.  If grades were equal, than I would absolutely agree with you, we should draft a dominant playmaker for the offense.  But they're not.  We could draft a dominant playmaker for the defense, or a WR or a TE who down the line might have the potential to develop into a playmaker, but is by no means one now, and likely won't ever be a top 5-10 player at the position.  You just don't pass on talent.  Doing that and drafting need is how we got into drought to begin with.