Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

20 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I really think they really want Metcalf. I'm afraid of the Jets and Detroit. I'm thinking Detroit may want to move up and get that defensive player for Matt Patricia with the Jets and the Jets taking Metcalf at 8. By the way, can somebody explain to me what is the meaning of draft value? 

Draft value only makes sense when you're talking about salaries imo. Barkley wasn't a bad value in terms of talent, but he was instantly the 5th highest paid running back, therefore bad value.

People are using the term in this thread in an attempt to say no to WR at 9. I dont see any reason why Metcalf would be bad value at 9. Taking a TE on the other hand...

https://www.watchfantom.com/the-three-highest-and-lowest-paid-offensive-nfl-positions/

not sure where WR falls but it's probably close behind RT

Edited by Chemical
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My understanding of draft value is simply that you want in theory to pick better players higher in the draft and lesser players later in the draft.  The reason is obvious.  If you don't pick the better players early, other teams will, and you'll be left with mediocrity.  I am not anti-Metcalf.  He's a rare athlete and has a chance to develop the missing pieces of his skill set to become a really outstanding generational type WR.  When I say I think draft values fit Buffalo's needs better at other positions, I'm saying that IMO, Buffalo's greatest need is on the defensive line where at three tech Buffalo has a 6'6" 341 lb tackle who is really a tweener (3 tech and nose) and is not consistently disruptive, and at defensive end where Buffalo has a 31 year old and two other guys whose presence on the Bills is uncertain past the 2019 season (Trent Murphy because of lack of production and Shaq Lawson because his production thus far may not justify the fifth year option on his rookie deal.  Jerry Hughes is in the last year of his contract too.  It just so happens there are a number of top 10 players in the draft at those two positions.  

It's certainly true that Buffalo could use a receiver who combines elite speed with top end size and strength, but it looks to me as if the defense would be helped more by having Oliver/Sweat/Burns/Gary/Wilkins than the offense will be helped by Metcalf.  It's still all just opinion, and you're welcome to have a different one.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

After the Sammy Watkins pick I'm totally sceptical about ever picking a wr that early again. Most experts have Metcalf rated well after 9. This is a deep draft with several good wr prospects from late 1st thru the 4th. DK reminds me too much of David Boston. Go DL or Hock.....

No. There is none even nearly worth it. Metcalf at #9 is about my worst case scenario. 

If the too dline guys and White are gone I'd sell the pick and try and move back. If I had to pick at #9 on offense I'd pick Jonah Williams. That said I think as long as Murray and Taylor go ahead of us (I think they will) then we are getting a defensive player who I would take ahead of any offensive player on the board. 

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

I really think they really want Metcalf. I'm afraid of the Jets and Detroit. I'm thinking Detroit may want to move up and get that defensive player for Matt Patricia with the Jets and the Jets taking Metcalf at 8. By the way, can somebody explain to me what is the meaning of draft value? 

It means picking a player where his talent deserves him to be taken. I know you love DK but he is not the 9th best player in this draft. Not even close. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It means picking a player where his talent deserves him to be taken. I know you love DK but he is not the 9th best player in this draft. Not even close. 

I hear you Gunner, but according to the "experts" Josh Allen shouldn't have been taken so high. Josh wasn't very productive at Wyoming, but the Bills scouts saw the potential. Also his physical attributes. Could be they see the same in Metcalf. I mean 21TDs in the 14 games he played with a 20yd per catch avg. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I hear you Gunner, but according to the "experts" Josh Allen shouldn't have been taken so high. Josh wasn't very productive at Wyoming, but the Bills scouts saw the potential. Also his physical attributes. Could be they see the same in Metcalf. I mean 21TDs in the 14 games he played with a 20yd per catch avg. 

Well I wouldn't have taken Josh that high either so there you go... I am not a lover of high ceiling, low floor prospects. 

That said I see a critical difference between Josh and DK. The one thing you could never knock Josh for was he competed. Every time he was out there he competed his butt off. There is inconsistency of effort on DK's tape. He doesn't play to the whistle every snap. That doesn't strike me as a process guy. If he puts it together then yes he could be a star. If he doesn't he could be done in the league pretty quick. That is too rich a gamble at #9 overall for me. I wouldn't hate it with a trade back. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

After the Sammy Watkins pick I'm totally sceptical about ever picking a wr that early again. Most experts have Metcalf rated well after 9. This is a deep draft with several good wr prospects from late 1st thru the 4th. DK reminds me too much of David Boston. Go DL or Hock.....

What about Dareus over AJ Green? 

58 minutes ago, the skycap said:

You take that chance for a QB

Not for a WR

On 4/14/2019 at 12:53 PM, GreggTX said:

Do you want a WR at 9? The reason I ask is that there don't appear to be any WR's in this draft rated that high and we already have Beasley, Brown, Jones and Foster and a couple others. Maybe we should even wait until next year to bring in someone that could be elite. 

One way that the Bills could maximize their talent at WR is by using 4 WR sets and forcing other teams to use 3 or even 4 CB's to cover them all. All of the WR's I listed are average or better. How many teams have 4 CB's that are average or better? Our #3 and #4 WR's could have pretty decent numbers this year because that's where you'll find our most favorable mismatches. Imagine Jones or Foster all day against a dumpster dive CB that just signed. I'll take that matchup all day long.

The way I answer this is by asking first... where is Marquise Brown slated to be drafted

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You take that chance for a QB

Not for a WR

The way Donahoe did with Losman??

1 hour ago, wiseman3 said:

https://twitter.com/RyanTalbotBills/status/1118284769878581248?s=19

I'd be completely fine with this. Excited actually. Tireless worker off the field, keeps a low profile. Definitely a process guy. I think Allen's arm is the intriguing thing..  huge arm throwing bombs to a physical freak with blazing speed. Worth a shot 

He's listening with his 3rd ear!!