Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

19 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Do you want a WR at 9? The reason I ask is that there don't appear to be any WR's in this draft rated that high and we already have Beasley, Brown, Jones and Foster and a couple others. Maybe we should even wait until next year to bring in someone that could be elite. 

One way that the Bills could maximize their talent at WR is by using 4 WR sets and forcing other teams to use 3 or even 4 CB's to cover them all. All of the WR's I listed are average or better. How many teams have 4 CB's that are average or better? Our #3 and #4 WR's could have pretty decent numbers this year because that's where you'll find our most favorable mismatches. Imagine Jones or Foster all day against a dumpster dive CB that just signed. I'll take that matchup all day long.

I doubt any NFL team has any WR  ranked 9th BPA on their board.  Only way I take a WR in Rd 1 is if Bills trade back for picks 24 and 27 with Raiders. 

And I don't know who 'd be that pick. 

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree.  you need a guy who has the size and speed that most teams cannot match-up with. He is a beast,  enough with these guys who have high motors,  this guy is athletic freak and is worth the risk. 

Look at Gronk as an example. he had injury concerns before being drafted,  end of the day teams could not match-up with him because of his size & speed factor.  Too big for DB'S and too fast for LB'S.  Go for it,  the guy is as big as TE and runs like a deer.  We need a special talent on this team,  everyone getting excited with all the signed guys but no high-end talent,  just a bunch of mediocre level guys other than maybe the center from KC we signed.  You need difference makers that can make you plays in the 4th quarter to win those close games. i don't see that right now.  I even thought the team should have moved on from Shaddy and start fresh with new young explosive running back who are easy to find in the draft.  I hope this is something they look at,  you need a guy that can break the long runs and i don't see that we Shaddy at this point in his career.

Couldn't have said it better. What an excellent example using Gronk!! How many on here piss and moan about not drafting him.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I believe DK is a top 10 prospect, but I don't think he'll be BPA at #9. We'll see though. I personally would be happy if he were the pick but they can go in a lot of other directions that I'll still be happy with.

Here’s the problem I’ve got with BPA.  If your choice is between Oliver and Metcalf—two guys who play entirely different positions—how do you know who’s “best available”?  I think at most you can meaningfully compare guys who play the same or similar positions.  And where should positional value enter into it?  Is a “generational” (I hate that term) guard worth more than a really good WR or edge rusher?

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Here’s the problem I’ve got with BPA.  If your choice is between Oliver and Metcalf—two guys who play entirely different positions—how do you know who’s “best available”?  I think at most you can meaningfully compare guys who play the same or similar positions.  And where should positional value enter into it?  Is a “generational” (I hate that term) guard worth more than a really good WR or edge rusher?

If it's a "generational" anything (besides like a kicker/punter obviously), I'd probably lean that way over basically anything else. Quenton Nelson was one example of that IMO.

As far as comparing between positions, obviously that's something that everyone has to do. IMO, Oliver is one of the top 2 or 3 prospects in this draft, so if he's on the board at 9, he's almost certainly my choice. DK is the #1 WR IMO and I think he's a borderline elite prospect.

Positional value does factor in. For example, I have Devin White ahead of Metcalf on my big board, but for the Bills, I would take Metcalf between the two since Buffalo already has two talented young LBs. I would also factor salaries into the equation; that's the main reason why taking Saquon at #2 was so dumb IMO. With some positions, taking a guy at #9 means making him one of the highest paid at his position in the league as a rookie; that's just not really a good investment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Do you want a WR at 9? The reason I ask is that there don't appear to be any WR's in this draft rated that high and we already have Beasley, Brown, Jones and Foster and a couple others. Maybe we should even wait until next year to bring in someone that could be elite. 

One way that the Bills could maximize their talent at WR is by using 4 WR sets and forcing other teams to use 3 or even 4 CB's to cover them all. All of the WR's I listed are average or better. How many teams have 4 CB's that are average or better? Our #3 and #4 WR's could have pretty decent numbers this year because that's where you'll find our most favorable mismatches. Imagine Jones or Foster all day against a dumpster dive CB that just signed. I'll take that matchup all day long.

no

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Was watching GMFB and the hosts asked Rashad Jennings, Giants player, what he'd like to see them do. He said he's okay with Eli at QB and would love to see them take DK Metcalf. He said dude is a beast and would make their offense explosive with Saquan, Sterling Shepard, Evan Engram.

Just now, the skycap said:

Was watching GMFB and the hosts asked Rashad Jennings, Giants player, what he'd like to see them do. He said he's okay with Eli at QB and would love to see them take DK Metcalf. He said dude is a beast and would make their offense explosive with Saquan, Sterling Shepard, Evan Engram.

I think Metcalf’s going top 10, maybe even to the Jets at 3 if they can’t trade back.  I would be more than OK with taking him at 9, if he’s there.

I for one would love to see Metcalf, Brown and Beasley on the field at the same time. I think that changes how a defense will approach Josh and probably keep more defensive people away from the line of scrimmage which will also help his underneath game develop.  I understand the risks but it will take a wr some time to develop and it would be better to get him sooner rather than later.

I don't want a TE at 9. A first round TE is a nice pick after you have a playoff season since most of the higher priority positions are filled with enough talent. Probably the reason why we haven't had a good TE lately.

In the end, it feels like we're probably looking at pass rushing DE as the most likely pick. Even though we lost Kyle, it seems in the next couple years the DE position will have the most change because I can't see them really thinking it's set either this year or for the future. Hughes, Lawson, Murphy and Yarbough could really use a young talented player before any of the other needs we have. 

• Like (+1) 1

what is the best thing for Josh Allen ( the QB)
whatever it takes to help him realize his potential.

Honestly should be BPA. thats Free agency was all about filling for needs and depth/and competition  at those needs

just to give them freedom do draft whatever they might wish for. Some players at nine you just have to take , most likely depending on how the draft falls

But I look at Metcalf as a high ceiling medium risk project. and there are other WRs i would be delighted to have as Bills via the draft.

I am risk adverse at Nine even in the first round. I want an immediate impact player.

or two.
do not feel Metcalf is my guy. and solid WRs could be had later than nine for sure

I do respect those that defend him at nine.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

what is the best thing for Josh Allen ( the QB)
whatever it takes to help him realize his potential.

This is really all that needs to be said. Period. Full-stop. This franchise goes as Allen goes, so whatever helps him achieve that ceiling. We've shown that we can find undervalued defensive players, we've significantly improved the offensive line issues.

To me, the biggest glaring holes of talent on this team are still TE and WR (yes, we've added to that unit, but Foster was undrafted for a reason, Zay has been hot and cold, Brown has issues with migraines and is a one-trick pony and Beasley is both tiny and has battled his own injury issues (Duke Williams is not a guy that should be counted on, at least in the "what is going to help our franchise QB hit his ceiling" discussion...) For a deep-throwing QB who excels in motion, a big-play/uber athlete at WR makes more sense to me than a solid/reliable TE. I just don't see it as a premium position... 

Not really.  The only one I think the Bills would consider is Metcalf.  If the Bills did pick him, I'd be OK, but I think going in to the draft the draft values and Bills needs fit together better at a couple other positions.

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Not really.  The only one I think the Bills would consider is Metcalf.  If the Bills did pick him, I'd be OK, but I think going in to the draft the draft values and Bills needs fit together better at a couple other positions.

I really think they really want Metcalf. I'm afraid of the Jets and Detroit. I'm thinking Detroit may want to move up and get that defensive player for Matt Patricia with the Jets and the Jets taking Metcalf at 8. By the way, can somebody explain to me what is the meaning of draft value?