Do you want a WR at 9?

GreggTX

No. With the FA signings the needs in order are EDGE/OLB, DT, TE, OT.  WR is fine to address in the 3rd round.  Maybe Zay can turn it around and if Foster continues to develop they could have a solid 4.  Adding a star TE does more for that group than another WR.  

Because I think the best DL will be gone by 9, I favor TE at # 9 or hopefully a few spots lower.

I would be fine with a Taylor if he drops or maybe the WSU OT.  An OT can compete to start at RT or at worst is insurance if Dawkins regresses further or has a high contract demand.  But again TE is a more crucial need for this franchise.  Kroft is basically the same non-descript average talent they have had at TE for decades.  

All that said, if Sweat, Gary, or Oliver are there at 9 the Bills will take one of those guys.  Certainly if Allen or Williams drop to 9 they will be all over one of them.  

I am all in on Oliver at 9.  If he is gone, then the best d lineman on the board.  If there is one thing I cannot stand is someone running on us like New England did in that second game last year.  A good TE or WR will be available in round two.

14 minutes ago, BobDVA said:

I am all in on Oliver at 9.  If he is gone, then the best d lineman on the board.  If there is one thing I cannot stand is someone running on us like New England did in that second game last year.  A good TE or WR will be available in round two.

I’m not opposed to Oliver, but I don’t think he is a dominant run defender.

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not opposed to Oliver, but I don’t think he is a dominant run defender.

He's not, but we're in the market for a penetrating 3T DT. An ideal 4-3 defense contains a space eater and a playmaker. 

Oliver's skill set would be a terrific fit.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Do you want a WR at 9? The reason I ask is that there don't appear to be any WR's in this draft rated that high and we already have Beasley, Brown, Jones and Foster and a couple others. Maybe we should even wait until next year to bring in someone that could be elite. 

One way that the Bills could maximize their talent at WR is by using 4 WR sets and forcing other teams to use 3 or even 4 CB's to cover them all. All of the WR's I listed are average or better. How many teams have 4 CB's that are average or better? Our #3 and #4 WR's could have pretty decent numbers this year because that's where you'll find our most favorable mismatches. Imagine Jones or Foster all day against a dumpster dive CB that just signed. I'll take that matchup all day long.

I'd prefer DL or OL because those players, I believe, will be the best players on the board at 9.   They could always try to trade up into the bottom third of the first round to grab a WR, which I would have no issues with be it DK or AJ.

Grab Hockenson at #9 if he's still on the board.  Hockenson has just as much potential to put up WR1 numbers as Metcalf does, but can also buttress the O-line, keep Allen upright, and facilitate the running game.  Those are things that Metcalf can't do.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep...

Don't care if I'm in the minority or not...I have DK as a Top 5 talent in this Draft...When he comes into his own I think he'll be a Top 5 NFL WR...

I don't think there will be another prospect available at #9 with his upside...

But we'll see...I've been wrong before...

Once... ?

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, mannc said:

I wouldn’t mind Metcalf at 9.  High risk high reward and finally a guy defenses will have to account for.  I also think we could use him in the running game the way the Pats used Cordarrelle Patterson last year.  Then go D-line at 40.  There will be plenty of talent still available.

I agree.  you need a guy who has the size and speed that most teams cannot match-up with. He is a beast,  enough with these guys who have high motors,  this guy is athletic freak and is worth the risk. 

Look at Gronk as an example. he had injury concerns before being drafted,  end of the day teams could not match-up with him because of his size & speed factor.  Too big for DB'S and too fast for LB'S.  Go for it,  the guy is as big as TE and runs like a deer.  We need a special talent on this team,  everyone getting excited with all the signed guys but no high-end talent,  just a bunch of mediocre level guys other than maybe the center from KC we signed.  You need difference makers that can make you plays in the 4th quarter to win those close games. i don't see that right now.  I even thought the team should have moved on from Shaddy and start fresh with new young explosive running back who are easy to find in the draft.  I hope this is something they look at,  you need a guy that can break the long runs and i don't see that we Shaddy at this point in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

I think all of the top defensive players will be gone along with Murray.  Our best shot in my humble opinion is to get a generational TE as they are just not that common.  Name the last year we saw 4 top TE’s in one draft.  I’m still all in on Hockinson.  He can block, catch and run.  He would be an excellent Red Zone threat jumping over the CB, and using his body at 250 lbs. to block someone out.

I believe DK is a top 10 prospect, but I don't think he'll be BPA at #9. We'll see though. I personally would be happy if he were the pick but they can go in a lot of other directions that I'll still be happy with.